+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ok to upgrade firmware if modem is 05.11.07?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi all, My dad has a 3G thats unlocked running 3.1.2 and modem firmware 05.11.07. it was unlocked using blackrain or blacksn0w or something black! I have basically never upgraded
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default ok to upgrade firmware if modem is 05.11.07?
    Hi all, My dad has a 3G thats unlocked running 3.1.2 and modem firmware 05.11.07. it was unlocked using blackrain or blacksn0w or something black!

I have basically never upgraded his firmware as he is dependent on his jailbreak for his unlock (he is on t-mobile in uk).

Could anyone advise me as I am very much out of the loop recently, is it safe to upgrade without losing the unlock?

thanks in advance

Thanks

When you upgrade you will lose the current jailbreak but you can always re-jailbreak.

I suggest downloading PwnageTool and making a custom 4.2.1 firmware then update with iTunes

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

You can update to 3.1.3 (iPhone 3G runs best with) safely. Once updated you would need to re-jailbreak and unlock thoughit is not very difficult.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    You can update to 3.1.3 (iPhone 3G runs best with) safely. Once updated you would need to re-jailbreak and unlock thoughit is not very difficult.
    It's not worth upgrading from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3. If that's as far as you're going, I recommend you just stay where you are. 3G does run best
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Thanks

Well some apps require 3.1.3 and IMO an iPhone 3G runs best with 3.1.3, and an iPhone 3G gets slow with 4.2.1. I have a 3G on hand to try different things out on and thats my experience.

Thanks

Firstly thank you all do much for the replies. However, I am an utter fool and found out today he has a 3GS... Does this change anything? Also I'm on pc and don't have access to a mac.

Thanks to all again

Thanks

Please?

Thanks

Since its a 3GS you can update to 4.2.1 and it will still run good. iOS4+ runs fine on a 3GS IMO, Since you're on a pc you can use sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 to update to 4.2.1 and keep the baseband at 05.11.07 so that you can unlock. Here is a video guide to follow Sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 Jailbreak 4.2.1 / 4.2.6 on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch | Redmond Pie

Make sure you have shsh saved, open cydia and any saved shsh will be on top of the main screen.
    Last edited by iPittsburgh; 03-14-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iPittsburgh For This Useful Post:

tikigod19 (03-15-2011)

Thanks

Thank you very much. Can not watch the vid at the moment but will do and will report back with any questions if that's ok! Thanks again

Thanks

Welcome

Thanks

sorry to revisit this, hopefully you're still around but i'm about to do this and when looking into it I read that after jailbreaking as you advised I should use ultrasnow 1.2 to unlock. From what i read it seems ultrasnow 1.2 needs 06.15.00 baseband. Is this right? I'm not sure why I'd need to preserve my baseband in snowbreeze 2.2.1 when I;m then going to upgrade the baseband anyway.

A little clarification on this would be great.

Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

ultrasn0w 1.2 supports 01.59.00 / 04.26.08 / 05.11.07 / 05.12.01 / 05.13.04 / 06.15.00. In sn0wbreeze you should click on "Baseband Preservation Mode" to preserve your baseband. Upgrading baseband to 06.15 will cause you to lose your gps feature and could cause you to have battery drain issues.

Thanks

I appreciate your reply john.

so if i preserve my baseband using snowbreeze how do I then unlock if I can't use ultrasnow (as ultrasnow will update it to 06.15)

Green Apple
    Thanks

ultrasn0w only unlocks the phone, it does not upgrade your baseband.
    in sn0wbreeze click on expert mode->general-> if you dont have an att sim to activate your phone make sure "Activate The iPhone" is checked and if you dont want custom bootup or custom recovery screens uncheck "Install Animated Boot Logos"->->Build IPSW->once it finish building the IPSW follow sn0wbreeze on screen instructions to put your phone in DFU mode-> Open itunes hold down shift and click restore->find your custom firmware then let it restore->after it finish let the phone startup then go into 'Cydia" download "Ultrasn0w"->after it finish installing let it reboot then go in to settings->general->network->turn off 3g. now phone is unlocked.

if during restore you get errors you have to download ireb and run it, then restore with the custom firmware again

Thanks

Thanks very much again I'm going to try that. Just out of interest why go into settings and turn 3G off? I use 3G all the time. Do I just turn it on again right afterwards?

Thanks again

Green Apple
    Thanks

if your celluar carrier supports the same 3g frequency as the iphone then you can just leave it on then.

Thanks

error 3194... i'm downloading 4.3.1 now to try that instead of 4.2.1 as i read somewhere sometimes older firmware cant be used as it is no longer signed by apple... not heard of that before though so not so sure it'll fix the problem. Is it still jailbreakable through snowbreeze and then unlockable through cydia?

ok so no errors with snowbreeze 2.5 and the 4.3.1 firmware however ultrasnow is not unlocking... modem firmware has remained unchanged. can anyone advise how to unlock now?

i'm rather desperate now!

Damn... http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011/0...and-unlockers/

Ok what now? What firmware should I put it back to?
    Last edited by tikigod19; 04-07-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

according to MucsleNerd of the Dev-Team an updated version of ultrasn0w is coming out in a few weeks, they are testing it now. it will fix the unlock problem for 4.3/.1

Thanks

Thanks John. In the end I went for 4.2.1 and all is fine.

Just out of interest my own phone is sluggish since upgrading to 4.3.1 and jailbreaking. If I wanted find the cause of this and restore without jailbreaking or unlocking should I just use sn0wbreeze and select baseband preservation mode?