+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Would an unlock fix a blacklisted iPhone 4 ?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi I understand the unlock software is not released yet, at least till iOS 4.3. Currently, I suspect I may have a blacklisted phone on the network. It says "restricted
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Would an unlock fix a blacklisted iPhone 4 ?
    Hi I understand the unlock software is not released yet, at least till iOS 4.3.

Currently, I suspect I may have a blacklisted phone on the network. It says "restricted access etc" and "NO SERVICE" when I insert my SIM card. The reason I concluded this is because I may have been given a reported lost/stolen phone and the network blacklisted it

I am able to fully restore and activate the phone via iTunes. Currently on 4.2.1 Baseband 03.10.01.

Hence, I am wondering if an unlock software like ultrasn0w will be able to let me go on my local network?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

You shouldn't even be able to access your springboard even after restoring if it is blacklisted/reported lost or stolen. It would just tell you to take the phone to Apple or AT&T.

I'm thinking it's just the phone not working right. I could be wrong, I've only seen one blacklisted phone before.

Would it be out of the question to take it to Apple?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input moderator.

The weird thing is, here's the scenario:

I saw the phone on a local trading website as I'm from New Zealand so no one uses ebay here.

I went to look at the phone, try it out and didn't work. Took it to a local Vodafone store and had the guy look at it, my sim card worked in the store's iphone4.

So the seller gave me the phone to see if i can try fix it but I haven't give him the money yet. He was not reluctant at all. Unfortunately he had no box or receipts, so that makes it more complicated to claim.

After that, i cross-checked with a friend who works at a Vodafone store. He said the phone was distributed from another Vodafone dealer (not the one i went into).

So now the phone is here with me, everything functioning except SIM

Thanks

Sounds stolen.

Thanks

Have them give you another sim. See if that helps. Your sim might not work with the iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    Have them give you another sim. See if that helps. Your sim might not work with the iPhone.

But I tested my SIM in a staff's iPhone4 at the store and it worked

Didn't work vice versa

Thanks

Yes there might be other symptoms to a phone that is reported lost/stolen compared to what I have seen. You might want to still try another SIM to see if it really is the phone itself (sounds like it is though). It could either be a hardware problem with the SIM area or it really is reported.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm probably going to swap the SIM tray with a friend's one tomorrow and try

Thanks

I bought a phone a while back from a guy that was stuck in recovery mode, after a restore and playing with it I got it to work and like you say, "activate through iTunes" but it didn't have a wifi, bluetooth or imei number in the settings. I checked the serial number on Apple's site and it said "this phone has already been replaced" or something like that. I called Apple to ask about it and all they would tell me was there "there is an issue with the phone" and wouldn't reactivate it. They can shut down the phone using the serial number. You could check the number on their site and see what it tells you. Also check in your settings and see if you have numbers for wifi, bluetooth & IMEI. If the phone is stolen and they have unactivated I don't think there is any way to fix it.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It has IMEI, Serial number, bluetooth and wifi works.

What else can I do without the receipt? Take it back to the store it was purchased from and try relocate & reprint receipt based on Serial number ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Throw the phone in DFU mode and do a restore. If it still doesn't work, it's either broken or blacklisted. If it is blacklisted, you can always wait until the unlock comes out and sell it to someone in the USA, as neither of our major GSM carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) blacklist a phone by IMEI.

But yeah, basically that's the only way unlocking it will help you. If the phone is blacklisted, only changing the IMEI would defeat that and that hasn't been possible since the 2G iPhone days.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Don't waste your time. You now have a very nice iPod. Throw it into Airplane Mode and enjoy your iPod. And give the seller a small reward for the iPod but not what he was asking for an iPhone4. Your phone is now banned from sending/receiving calls. Unlocking has nothing to do with this as the service refusal is usually accross all providers in your country and it is done on the providers side when your phone attempts to make/receive a call or as soon as your device connects to the providers network.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Update:

I just found out the IMEI number has been banned to be used on my local service provider. The other option is to use another service provider which could work i guess, unless the bans are not shared amongst other networks.

However, this phone is able to be used in other countries in the world besides mine yes ?
    Last edited by chiggah; 02-24-2011 at 01:38 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How do I get my APN settings,I'm in Nigeria,my service provider is MTN nigeria

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chiggah View Post
    Update:

I just found out the IMEI number has been banned to be used on my local service provider. The other option is to use another service provider which could work i guess, unless the bans are not shared amongst other networks.

However, this phone is able to be used in other countries in the world besides mine yes ?
    Usually it goes through Apple. Its pretty much a block on the IMEI. you could try waiting for an unlock, unlock it, and stick a SIM in to see if it picks up service. I really don't know, usually the phone doesnt even restore or jailbreak when the IMEI is blocked.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Usually it goes through Apple. Its pretty much a block on the IMEI. you could try waiting for an unlock, unlock it, and stick a SIM in to see if it picks up service. I really don't know, usually the phone doesnt even restore or jailbreak when the IMEI is blocked.
    Really 3 options for me now:

1) Try different service provider(s) but require prior SIM testing to check if the IMEI is blocked on provider(s) network
    2) Wait for 3.4 unlock and try
    3) Sell it overseas since it's factory unlocked

Thanks

If it's factory unlocked then you wouldn't have to unlock it again. A software unlock isn't going to make any difference. So just get a foreign SIM or something an test it out to see if the carrier name shows. My inactive T-Mobile SIM doesn't have service but when I unlock a phone and test with it, T-Mobile shows up just no bars. If the unlock didn't work no service will show or invalid SIM. so if it is factory unlocked, a foreign SIM like Rogers from Canada or O2 from UK should work on it. If those aren't working, it either isn't factory unlocked or it is blocked. You'd have to figure that one out.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Tested with a friend's working microSIM card and it showed 1 bar with (carrier name). After few seconds it went "No Service"

Are you able to tell if it's locked or blocked ?

As far as I know, all iPhones sold in my country are factory unlocked. So my best guess it's a blocked phone on the network.
    Last edited by chiggah; 02-24-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks

Could be. You might try a few other different carrier SIMs and see if it does the same thing. No Service from an active SIM means it isn't working. If it is an inactive SIM, sometimes I get no service too so it's hard to really tell. Most of the time I so get T-Mobile to show on a working unlock though, so i am assuming on your phone you'd need that carrier name to stick.