+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SIM Lock - How can I tell?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I got an iphone 4 with virgin mobile on a super tab. This means that I paid the subsidized price of 159 (16gb). The rest of the retail value of
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default SIM Lock - How can I tell?
    I got an iphone 4 with virgin mobile on a super tab. This means that I paid the subsidized price of 159 (16gb). The rest of the retail value of the phone (500$) goes onto a tab that is paid off by deducting 10% of my monthly bill. I decided to trim down a regular sim card and put it in my phone. Since it wasnt an active sim I didnt get any signal but I also didn't get the "invalid sim" message either. Does this mean that my phone is unlocked?

Thanks

Not if it was subsidized. I don't know where you are, but once your contract is up, you can sometimes get it unlocked free.

Twitter: @tshoults

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Im in Canada. Too bad... I was hoping it was unlocked since I am, in the end, going to pay the full price of the phone. Also, I am not in a contract. I can leave virgin whenever I want to as long as I pay the remainder of the tab.

Thanks

Ask your carrier after your contract is up and see if you can get it unlocked.

Twitter: @tshoults

Green Apple
    Thanks
    the best way to tell is wait for the unlock, and then see if the sim works then...it might just be that the sim isn't activated but it should still pick up signal, was it a pay as you go sim?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It was an unactivated sim. I'll try to find someone with a micro sim and try it out.