Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help with 3GS on 4.2.1 locked

Default Need help with 3GS on 4.2.1 locked
    Hi and thanks in advance for help!

My iPhone is 3GS with a new bootrom (359.3.2), BB 05.15.04.
    I made a mistake to update via iTunes to 4.2.1, and the phone got locked (wouldn't use the unofficial sim anymore). I clicked on Restore in iTunes and got into more trouble - now it is in Recovery Mode and wouldn't allow me to use even the apps.

Is there already an untethered unlock for my phone available? If not - is there a way to get the phone back in use for apps, while I am waiting for the DevTeam to come up with the new tool?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,564 Times in 7,113 Posts

The only way you will be able to unlock now is with the ipad baseband thing. 4.2.1 is a tethered jailbreak for your device right now too. Do you know if you have any SHSH?

I guess I don't have SHSH saved - got the phone sinde September, and never done anything with it (nor used any tools)...

Thanks, I checked with TinyUmbrella yesterday, and clicking on Save SHSH I saved 4 SHSHs: 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.1.
    Can I now downgrade to FW 4.1 and then unlock the phone using some tools? I do not HAVE to have this 4.2.1 firmware, this was a mistake to upgrade to it. So if I can avoid doing a tethered jailbreak or changing the baseband, I would prefer so. If this is too late - which tool do I use to unlock my phone then?
    thanks!

Thanks

You can go to 4.1 then and have a untethered jailbreak. To unlock though you would need to use redsnow to install the ipad baseband.

they talk about some new version of (?Greenpois0n?) or some other tool from DevTeam coming out to allow a direct untethered jailbreak from 4.2.1 without having to change the baseband, is that true? in this case I would wait for it, but is there a way to kick the phone out of the current recovery mode? I cannot use the apps, nothing (this happened since I did "Restore" in iTunes).
    thanks

Thanks

If you restored to a regular 4.2.1 you cant kick out of recovery if you got an error.

thanks x98car. should I then wait for the untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1 3gs with new bootrom (my case) to come out? or would you recommend to upgrade the baseband to the ipad version and then jailbreak with redsn0w?