+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone keylock makes iBrick

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I without realizing upgraded my unlocked iPhone to 1.1.1 without removing my keylock. Now I can't do anything with my iPhone. My keylock seems its still active. So, now that
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPhone keylock makes iBrick
    I without realizing upgraded my unlocked iPhone to 1.1.1 without removing my keylock. Now I can't do anything with my iPhone. My keylock seems its still active.

So, now that the phone is locked, I can't get to the point where I can type in my keylock code. Without the code, the USB port is not accessible. So, I have a iBrick.

I thought of two ways of getting out of this hold. 1) Borrow someone's AT&T active sim, plug in and remove the keylock (this option will work if SIMs aren't married to the IMEI of the iPhone) or 2) a hardware mod.

I am looking for suggestions.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You're saying that you had the passcode lock (Settings/General/Passcode Lock) turned on? And that after the upgrade, you're not able to access the phone? No unlock, no 3rd party anything, just a plain vanilla phone?

If that's actually the case, then stop by your local Genius Bar and explain, I'm sure they can fix you up. But, if you had mods of any sort, at this point you're hosed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No, sorry, I bought the phone, unlocked it, used it, put a passcode (settings/General/Password Lock). Then I upgraded to 1.1.1 without thinking. Now, I can't even activate on AT&T because iTunes tells me I have a passcode, but the iPhone is in a state where it will need activation.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,222 Posts

Upgrading unlocked iPhone's to 1.1.1 bricks them. You'll need a new SIM from AT&T.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ok. What do I do with the new sim? iTunes will not talk to my phone to let me activate it. Says your phone is locked with passcode. Unlock it first and then connect to iTunes. I can't put in the passcode because the phone is activation state.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Murfunit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Upgrading unlocked iPhone's to 1.1.1 bricks them. You'll need a new SIM from AT&T.
    Not even a new sim will help till the Dev team finds a fix.

IF they find a fix

Quote Originally Posted by thasan View Post
    Ok. What do I do with the new sim? iTunes will not talk to my phone to let me activate it. Says your phone is locked with passcode. Unlock it first and then connect to iTunes. I can't put in the passcode because the phone is activation state.
    It's not going to matter

If the phone is unlocked even if you put the passcode in you will still not be able to reactivate it.

if it hadn't been unlocked you'd have been able to just do a full restore - losing whatever settings you had - and move past the activation.
    Last edited by Murfunit; 09-29-2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Even this doesn't work though.... right? I tried to no avail, however I WAS able to get the IMEI correct by attempting to install apptapp and then unplugging the phone on the first 'normal boot' (start apptapp WHILE the phone is in recovery mode)...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    How do you go into recovery mode with passcode enabled. BTW: I got an active SIM and put it in my locked (now) iPhone, it doesn't work. It appears the SIM # and the IMEI is married.

Figured out how to get out of that mess. Just hold down home button and connect to power. redownload 1.1.1.

Then I downgraded to 1.0.2 and now I am stuck at the Yellow triangle (connect to Itunes). Itunes never succeeds downloading firmware.
    Last edited by thasan; 09-30-2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had a 1.0.2 phone on which I added a 4-digit passcode lock. I did NOT unlock the phone for use with other sims - straight AT&T service. After going through the jailbreak/upgrade process, itunes won't access my phone due to the existing passcode, but I can't do anything else since the phone isn't activated. I'm going to try downgrading to 1.0.2, then try again. I'll let you know how it goes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone catriple's Avatar
    Thanks

did anyone have any progress on this topic? I have a phone that I am trying to restore the firmware on that has been pin code locked. Any ideas?

iTunes recoganizes the phone, but says the pin code needs to be entered before modifications can take place. I dont have the pin code. This is the iphone pin, not sim code. I need some ideas!?

Thanks

I am also in this perdictament. I used winpwn to pwn my phone, now it recognizes in itunes but it wont even turn on or go to show any restore on the screen, why???