Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Purchasing new Iphone 4 at Apple Store this week

Default Purchasing new Iphone 4 at Apple Store this week
    Hello,

I will be upgrading from my 1st gen iPhone to this one and will be using my prepaid TMobile card after micro cutting it. Now after reading the forums and researching hactivation and unlocking, it seems I'm able to do this right out of the box. I'm just a little fuzzy on the baseband issue. So I'll just summarize my questions below:

1) If I purchase a new iPhone 4 right now, what are the chances that this baseband will be unlockable? The most recent news I've heard is that if you upgrade to 4.2 ipsw via iTunes, you will be stuck with the new baseband, so it's strongly advised to NOT upgrade to 4.2 yet.

2) If the baseband is unlockable, I'm assuming you just can't downgrade the firmware to either factory 4.0, 4.0.1, or 4.1 ipsw, and jailbreak it, and all is well? You will be stuck with that baseband until the new unlock tools are released.

Sorry for these n00b like questions. I've been outta the jailbreak scene for a while and just trying to catch up. Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

There is zero chance you will purchase a phone this week that is unlockable. The phone will either be on 4.1 with 2.10 baseband or 4.2.1 with 3.10 baseband.
    Neither of these are unlockable basebands. You need to do a lot more reading before you make this purchase and get frustrated by not being able to use the phone.

If the phone is 4.1 FW you can jailbreak it untethered.
    If the phone is 4.2.1 fw you can jailbreak it but it will be tethered.

Be aware you also need to be able to activate the phone and an ATT SIM is still the best way to achieve that.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 12-14-2010 at 08:50 AM.

nebo1ss,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll either search for an unlocked one online, or wait until the unlock comes out for those 2.10 and 3.10 basebands and buy it from the Apple store. Do you happen to know of any reputable US sellers off the top of your head for unlocked iPhone 4's?