+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 6.15 GPS Issues

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I want to post this thread to see which iPhone and fw you had before flashing to 6.15 and whether or not you have had gps issues or other issues.
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 6.15 GPS Issues
    I want to post this thread to see which iPhone and fw you had before flashing to 6.15 and whether or not you have had gps issues or other issues.

I just unlocked a classmates brand new 3gs 4.1 for when she studies abroad and after unlocking, no gps issues.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Im on 4.1 with no gps issues. Maps works no problem!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post

I just unlocked a classmates brand new 3gs 4.1 for when she studies abroad and after unlocking, no gps issues.
    I had iphone 3gs with 4.1 and locked. I upgraded babseband to 6.15 with recent redsnow and unlocked by ultrasnow. I found three problems:
    1-I lost GPS signals.
    2-battery depletes quickly.
    3-My data transfer on the increase (1MB per hour) without using any application.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raceking777 View Post
    Im on 4.1 with no gps issues. Maps works no problem!
    Do you have a 3g or 3gs?

Quote Originally Posted by sbmir50 View Post
    I had iphone 3gs with 4.1 and locked. I upgraded babseband to 6.15 with recent redsnow and unlocked by ultrasnow. I found three problems:
    1-I lost GPS signals.
    2-battery depletes quickly.
    3-My data transfer on the increase (1MB per hour) without using any application.
    How old is your 3gs? Was your 3gs activated when you Jailbroke? Did you use redsn0w 0.9.6b5 or redsn0w 0.9.6b6?
    Last edited by iPittsburgh; 12-05-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    Do you have a 3g or 3gs?

How old is your 3gs? Was your 3gs activated when you Jailbroke? Did you use redsn0w 0.9.6b5 or redsn0w 0.9.6b6?
    My phone was 3gs old BR. It was first unlocked on IOS 3.0?? . Then I upgraded to 4.1 through itunes and got stuck at BB 5.14. I jailbroke and unlocked with latest redsn0w 0.9.6b5 and it worked fine except with the above issues of GPS etc.

While trying to fix this issue with redsnow 6b6 and another method of unlocking by SAM , I am stuck at itunes recovery loop. I am looking for help at this stage.
    Thanks

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

My phone was 3gs old BR. It was first unlocked on IOS 3.0?? . Then I upgraded to 4.1 through itunes and got stuck at BB 5.14. I jailbroke and unlocked with latest redsn0w 0.9.6b5 and it worked fine except with the above issues of GPS etc.

While trying to fix this issue with redsnow 6b6 and another method of unlocking by SAM , I am stuck at itunes recovery loop. I am looking for help at this stage.
    Thanks
    SAM does not unlock the phone it only Activates it. It is for those who do not have original SIM card to activate the phone and should only be used if you do not have original SIM.

If you updated to the IPAD baseband and it looks like you did, you are no longer able to do a normal restore. Your only option is a firmware made with Pwnage tool. You need a Mac to create this custom firmware.

The update to the IPAD baseband is something that should not be done until you understand what you are getting yourself into.

Thanks

Thanks
    As far as battery issues, the age of your phone may be to blame.
    What all did you select in redsn0w 0.9.6b6?
    If you are already activated with a official sim then you dont have to deactivate. That option is just for people that have hacktivated and want to fix the battery issues with SAM. If the phone was hacktivated by one of the jailbreaks to get past the emergency call screen then you would need to use that option. You would still need ultrasnow to unlock.
    Youre stuck at emergency call screen or stuck in recovery mode?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you are stuck on emergency call use tiny umbrella and run it's service then activate with iTunes I did that and worked fine

Green Apple
    Thanks

To all those claiming that their GPS works fine after 06.15.00 baseband, I'm sorry but I do not believe you. Just because Google Maps knows your approximate location while you have internet service, doesn't mean you have working GPS. I've said this on other forums before, but of all the people who have claimed their GPS works fine, not a single one has detailed how they verified that it actually works. Here's how you do it:

Get a real GPS driving app, like Navigon, TomTom, or MotionX GPS. Make sure you are outdoors with a clear view of the sky. Use any of those apps and see if it figures out where you are. DO NOT USE GOOGLE MAPS! Google Maps uses cell/wifi triangulation to get a rough approximation when no GPS signal is found, or while it's busy acquiring one, which means it's useless when you need precise info for actual navigation.

Anyway, I have 3GS old bootrom, 06.15.00 baseband, 4.2.1 FW. My GPS is dead. And it seems quite apparent despite what has been said by the dev team, that the baseband is to blame, and this is due to the iPad having a completely different GPS chip on it than the iPhone 3G/3GS, thus making this baseband incompatible with 3G/3GS GPS.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kumputer For This Useful Post:

petermat (12-10-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I agree, I don't believe people who think their GPS (and by that I mean actual satellite reception) is working after 06.15.00 baseband upgrade.

It's been proven that the iPad GPS and iPhone 3G/3Gs GPS chipsets are different, which sorta underlies the root cause of the problem, and also implies that a hack most likely is not forthcoming.

Here's a way to check if actual satellite reception is working properly (other than something like MotionX GPS lite that actually tells you it can't get a satellite fix):
    1) Get SBSettings.
    2) with wifi or edge or 3g on, run the Maps app and let it find your location (blue pin).
    3) pop out your sim card.
    4) use SBSettings to turn off wifi (don't use airplane mode cuz it also shuts down the GPS chip). The GPS arrow beside the battery should be ON.
    5) Try relocating (tapping the GPS arrow box on the bottom left of the screen off/on). Chances are the pin will be grey, and at the very least not pulsing blue. This means the satellite reception is NOT WORKING.

I think people's confusion into why they think GPS is working in Maps is that the iPhone uses Skyhook technology (when wifi is on). It works by either using the address of the actual wifi connection, or if you're not actually connected, triangulating wifi signal strengths of wifi networks that have been mapped into the Skyhook database (which I've heard is huge for major metropolitan areas... this is epic on the scale like Google streetview for example). If you're going slowly enough (walking), wifi trigangulation can keep up with you. Try it in a car and it'll get lost FAST.

At home or at work if I'm on wifi, I get an accurate Maps location. If I turn wifi off, then I get relegated to cell tower triangulation, and at work it tells me I'm a mile away from where I really am... at home sometimes I'm close, sometimes I'm on the other side of town.

So yes, 06.15.00 baseband users are most likely SOL for a functional GPS until Apple releases something higher that's meant for the iPhone hardware... but then you'll lose the unlock again...

Most importantly, Don't Blame the Dev Team... People were hounding them for an unlock at FW 4.1 and 4.2.1, and this is what they provided. Look at the steps involved with actually figuring out the GPS functionality- they don't have time for that- I believe they turn on Maps, look like it worked, and went on from there... they can't needle-in-the-haystack every little thing... we're just lucky we have an unlock solution for 4.1 and 4.2.1.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to weinerd For This Useful Post:

petermat (12-10-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Update: Musclenerd reports via twitter that he's working on a baseband downgrader that would be compatible with 3G and 3GS in order to address GPS issues and inability to load stock firmware. Obviously this means no guarantees, but perhaps it implies that we'll get a proper fix for this mess in the end. This all but confirms that 06.15.00 was to blame for GPS issues as well, despite the Dev Team's official response a week or so ago claiming to the contrary.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kumputer For This Useful Post:

agmi (05-20-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Crossing my fingers they get this fixed...

I have a 3GS (old bootrom) 4.2.1 with bb 06.15.00 and I went to try and use Navigon on my phone and it cannot pinpoint my location.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Pior to BB6.15 unlock I had updated my 3GS to 4.1 from 3.1.2 my bb was 5.14.2. I JB'd but was locked.
    I have new bootrom. I have no GPS since updating my BB to 6.15 using redsnow 9.6b5. Battery drain issues are controllable since using 9.6b6 and SAM but still have no GPS. I was thinking of restoring using iTunes to standard ios 4.1 and going through the unlock proceedure again.
    Last edited by petermat; 12-09-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: add further information

Green Apple
    Thanks

You could do that but it won't downgrade your baseband, so you'll still have no GPS. We're stuck with broken GPS until the dev team thinks of something clever.

Thanks

Hmm. Well, here's a thought - if you can separate out the modem firmware (baseband) from the iOS code, then why can't you separate the GPS driver from the modem firmware?

I would think you could re-flash the 06.15 baseband with a 3G/3GS compatible GPS driver embedded in it. I wouldn't know how to do that myself, but perhaps the Dev Team is working on that.

I've got a 3GS on 4.2.1/ 06.15 and I've got no working GPS at the moment. Waah.

MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kumputer View Post
    You could do that but it won't downgrade your baseband, so you'll still have no GPS. We're stuck with broken GPS until the dev team thinks of something clever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MartiniBoy View Post
    Hmm. Well, here's a thought - if you can separate out the modem firmware (baseband) from the iOS code, then why can't you separate the GPS driver from the modem firmware?

I would think you could re-flash the 06.15 baseband with a 3G/3GS compatible GPS driver embedded in it. I wouldn't know how to do that myself, but perhaps the Dev Team is working on that.

I've got a 3GS on 4.2.1/ 06.15 and I've got no working GPS at the moment. Waah.

MB
    As far as I know, the dev team has not ever released a firmware package or any tools to create a modified baseband, implying that it's either impossible or too difficult. Apparently all they can do is create custom firmware that strips the baseband update from the update process.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool Any Hope for Iphone 3GS 4.21 GPS issue ?
    Any update regarding Iphone 3GS 6.15 GPS issue?

I have a 3GS (old bootrom) 4.2.1 with bb 06.15.00 and I know that Dev team trying for a downgrade but this is not confirmed, please advice if any solution or any hope on the way?, thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've been keeping up with the twitter feeds of the dev team members, and they've all been quiet on this issue since mentioning a possible downgrade a while ago. They're actively working on the iPhone 4 baseband unlock, and it's possible that the unlock process for it may be a baseband downgrade rather than an actual unlock for the latest basebands but I'm really just speculating. We'll hopefully know more in a week or so.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kumputer For This Useful Post:

paper3333 (12-20-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm on 6.15 and my GPS is dead. Says i'm located about 10 miles from where i really am.

I don't care, because my previous phone was a Razr, so i can't miss what I didn't have before.

I do still have battery drain issues...even after SAM activation. I have to plug the phone in during the day to my work PC to keep the charge up.

But at least I can use the iphone now

Green Apple
    Thanks
    My gps is workin just great. Only issue I have is battery life. Tried SAM, but it doesn't work