+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Want to update 3G from 4.0.2 to 4.2.1 and preserve unlock

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm looking around trying to find the best set of instructions, but I'm not really sure I have the whole picture. I have a 3G running 4.0.2 w/ modem firmware
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Want to update 3G from 4.0.2 to 4.2.1 and preserve unlock
    I'm looking around trying to find the best set of instructions, but I'm not really sure I have the whole picture.

I have a 3G running 4.0.2 w/ modem firmware 05.13.04. It is currently jailbroken (using limera1n) and unlocked, but it is so laggy that it is painful to use. I've heard that 4.1 was a bit better and 4.2.1 is even better still. Can someone point me to decent directions on how to upgrade to 4.2.1 and preserve my unlock? I really can't afford to lose my phone for a while, so I'm trying to research it as much as I can before moving forward.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

Do you have a Mac or Windows?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm running Windows.

Thanks

Check PM

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Consider disabling multitask and wallpaper. It'll run much better that way, including going to 4.2.1, although the upgrade itself should improve performance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Since I saw the mediocre performance, I avoided multitasking and any other customization.
    4.x is so horrible on the 3G. Hopefully 4.2.1 makes enough of a difference that the phone is usable again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Heey guys,
    Can someone please help me!! I got this iPhone 3G second hand:

4.0 (8A293)
    AT&T 7.0
    MB704LL

What is the best way to jailbreak & unlock this at the latest firmware available? I'm running Windows and I've got an iPhone 4 4.2.1 jailbroken too, but that was a lot easier so I'm not entirely a JB-noob :P

Thanks in advance,
    LNDN

Thanks

Use snowbreeze to make a custom 4.2.1 firmware and restore to that. That will preinstall cydia for you so that you only have to install ultrasnow after to unlock. Do not restore to a regular 4.1 or 4.2.1 or you will lose the ability to unlock.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Use snowbreeze to make a custom 4.2.1 firmware and restore to that. That will preinstall cydia for you so that you only have to install ultrasnow after to unlock. Do not restore to a regular 4.1 or 4.2.1 or you will lose the ability to unlock.
    Ah! Ok that's a way to, but I used the redsn0w + ipad baseband 06.15.00 + ultrasn0w way! That worked out fine, and since I guess it's the iPhone 3g's last update from Apple, I don't have to worry about update's I guess.

Thanks anyway!!
    LNDN

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lndn91 View Post
    Ah! Ok that's a way to, but I used the redsn0w + ipad baseband 06.15.00 + ultrasn0w way! That worked out fine, and since I guess it's the iPhone 3g's last update from Apple, I don't have to worry about update's I guess.

Thanks anyway!!
    LNDN
    Shouldnt have done that. You lost your good unlockable baseband. The iPad baseband means you lost gps and if you need to restore you will be forced to use a custom firmware now for 4.2.1. But if you don't use gps and are happy I guess that is all that matters

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Shouldnt have done that. You lost your good unlockable baseband. The iPad baseband means you lost gps and if you need to restore you will be forced to use a custom firmware now for 4.2.1. But if you don't use gps and are happy I guess that is all that matters
    ****!!! I hope the one I did it for, won't be complaining about it, since she doesn't know bout things like that!! But there is absolutly NO way now to even downgrade it or something right? The only thing that mattered was that she could use it, call and stuff...

But I would've hated myself if it were my iPhone, since I use GPS all the time and even on Navigon 1.8.1. Anyways thanks for the info, next time I'll dig even deeper and ask questions first, then jailbreak/unlock!!

LNDN

Thanks

No way to downgrade that baseband right now. Not sure if there will ever be a way. If she doesn't use gps apps though she probably won't even be able to tell the difference.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

That's a bummer. Just broke the GPS and lost a good unlockable baseband. You could check to see if Fuzzyband in Cydia will downgrade the baseband, if I am remembering correctly, someone with a 3G downgraded his baseband from 6.15.00 with Fuzzyband because he had bootloader 5.08. But if not then that baseband upgrade is permanent.

Ideally if this isn't your device, if I were you I would try to downgrade the baseband for that someone you did this unlock for. If it isn't possible because the bootloader isn't 5.08 then at least you've tried