+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: discussion about updating to Ipad Baseband

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey, I thought we could have an informed discussion about upgrading to an Ipad Baseband without 'OMG I'm freaking out!!Qq@!!' . So, I've been reading about basebands and iOS for
    Banned
    Thanks
    Default discussion about updating to Ipad Baseband
    Hey, I thought we could have an informed discussion about upgrading to an Ipad Baseband without 'OMG I'm freaking out!!Qq@!!' . So, I've been reading about basebands and iOS for a while now and I have some serious concerns about this unlock but I also realize I'm not an iOS genius. All right. All that said I have a 3gs on 4.1 with the new baseband 5.14.03 I believe. So, I need an unlock to use my phone but I have a few questions. First, I know the next unlock being worked on is the iphone 4.1. My question would be is anyone working on an unlock for bb 5.14.03? I have no fear of apple or warranty voiding but I'm afraid of upgrading my baseband and not being able to use future apple firmware. Can anyone tell me if this is a legit concern or not? I guess the plus side would be that it will be impossible to accidentally upgrade and lose my unlock?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

We don't know when or whether there is going to be an unlock for 05.14.xx baseband.
    Currently , if you need an unlock badly, then you have no other choice but to go with this ipad baseband update.
    As to regards to future updates, you have to restore to custom firmwares.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've found that there is no current way to make MMS available for 06.15, considering it's an iPad baseband. Perhaps some further development in packages could fix this.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unitedearth View Post
    I've found that there is no current way to make MMS available for 06.15, considering it's an iPad baseband. Perhaps some further development in packages could fix this.
    with the unlock that came out today theres no MMS??

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've two 3g's waiting for an unlock, I bought them believing an unlock would be "coming very soon". What we've ended up with in my opinion is not a workable solution. 4.3 is just around the corner, who knows what nasties Apple will in that to further hindrance unlockers?

The people behind the current 4.1 unlock are issuing the warnings about updating to 06.15, the fact that once done you will NEVER be able to use a stock FW. Then in the next breath saying but hey, why would you, unlockers need custom firmware. But that is only as the game is played today. The reality is Apple control this game and they could change the rules at any moment, potentially making a lot of phones at 06.15 fancy ipods.

In short I can;t help feeling that in a month or two a lot of people will be pointing at those on 06.15 and saying "you did what??? Are you mad?"

I'm waiting for a proper 4.1 unlock, if it don't come I'll sell these two 3G's and move on.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baskie View Post
    I've two 3g's waiting for an unlock, I bought them believing an unlock would be "coming very soon". What we've ended up with in my opinion is not a workable solution. 4.3 is just around the corner, who knows what nasties Apple will in that to further hindrance unlockers?

The people behind the current 4.1 unlock are issuing the warnings about updating to 06.15, the fact that once done you will NEVER be able to use a stock FW. Then in the next breath saying but hey, why would you, unlockers need custom firmware. But that is only as the game is played today. The reality is Apple control this game and they could change the rules at any moment, potentially making a lot of phones at 06.15 fancy ipods.

In short I can;t help feeling that in a month or two a lot of people will be pointing at those on 06.15 and saying "you did what??? Are you mad?"

I'm waiting for a proper 4.1 unlock, if it don't come I'll sell these two 3G's and move on.
    Same boat here. My 3G broke and I found a pair of 3G on Craigslist for a good price hoping to unlock and sell one and my old one (once fixed) to cushion the blow. Been sitting on the one waiting for the unlock to give it more value but I don't think I can, in good conscious, use this method to make the extra buck knowing the person will probably be screwed down the road, in one way or another. I think I'm going to just sell the phone locked w/JB.

Personally, on the other hand, I don't think any of this will affect my phone use. I'm running a 3G on an AT&T go phone acct and don't need an unlock as long as I can still use custom APN settings to activate data. Currently on iOS 4.1 BB 5.14.02. So I think I'm good for a while it would seem. Unless anyone knows anything about newer BBs coming out locking out the APNs from being altered....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just had another thought on all this. Since the new BBs could not be downgraded or unlocked, prompting the iPad BB solution to use an existing exploit, could this be an eventual stepping stone method to restore phones back to an older iPhone BB.

Since this allows a complete change in BB couldn't it work in reverse once the newer iPhone BB is gone? Just an inquisitive thought.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baskie View Post

This is my thought. I'm afraid of getting bricked by apple in their new firmware. Thats why I'm interested in the fact that the Dev Team says you will have to use custom firmware forever. Does this make it impossible for me to upgrade through apple?

Which brings me to the end of your post and my second question. Is there any reason to believe there will ever be a proper 4.1 unlock? I mean, they've been working on this one for months, they're still working on the iphone 4, do you think that this is even on the list anymore? I mean if there is someone working on it somewhere great, i dont mind waiting even another few months, whatever, but I have the feeling this is the only option.