+ Reply
Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3 435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1131

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Check if you can Unlock

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
No prob
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,863 Times in 6,897 Posts

No prob

Thanks

Thank you.....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the help you provide in this thread. I have a Verizon 4S I would like to use on AT&T's network. It appears as though the R-SIM7 will allow this so long as I jailbreak first. Can you confirm? (The following YouTube video from 3 days ago led me to believe this: (Updated R-Sim7) How To Unlock Any iPhone 4S 6.1.1/6.1/6.0.1/6.0| Connection/Stability Issue Fix - YouTube )

Also, do you know the difference between the R-SIM7 and 7+ ?

Thanks for your thoughts!

FYI I'm on 6.1 w/ 3.4.01, which that video appears to say will be okay.

Thanks

Not sure, never used one of them myself. If you try it let us know if it works.

Thanks

Just a bit of anecdotal data. I spent about a month researching how to unlock my Sprint 4S.

I ended up going with "New GPP" from iPhoneRepairMiamiBeach. I bought one on eBay (just because it officially stated it had 6.1 support), but they also have a web store at GPP Unlock solution for iOS 6 | iPhone Repair Miami Beach .

I don't have my straight talk sim yet. But I popped in a friend's AT&T sim today and it worked no problem. He called his number on a separate phone and it went through. I stopped my testing there.

Notes on my process since I basically went nuts trying to find a comprehensive set of notes on support.

- I DFU upgraded my Sprint locked 4S to 6.1.1
    - Navigated past all the initial screens on the phone until it received a signal on sprint
    - Jailbroke using evasi0n
    - Loaded cydia once to get it's filesystem in order
    - Installed the neterteam patch that's part of the new gpp process.
    - At this point, the sim slot behaves slightly funky, more notes on that below.
    - I restored a backup of my 4S from before the DFU update. I did a clean start for 6.1 and had no interest in clean starting again.
    - I reapplied the neterteam patch. Not sure if this is necessary, but it didn't seem to hurt anything
    - When I later popped in the AT&T sim on top of the new gpp. I got an AT&T signal pretty quickly.

Notes on funky Sim behavior after the GPP patch:
    Since I only have an active sprint account. I only had the sprint sim for use with the gpp while I wait for my straight talk sim to arrive. If I put the gpp and sprint sim in. I'll get service but the carrier name doesn't show. I had working data while data roaming was enabled. Although I couldn't activate iMessage and facetime. They do some kind of weird SMS authentication that apparently isn't working in this funky mode. Regular SMS worked fine though. So I disabled iMessage and facetime.

If I put in just the sprint sim on it's own. I don't get a signal.

However, since sprint uses the CDMA radio. The sim is really optional. Whenever I pop it out, I get the sprint carrier name and iMessage/facetime work again.

So for right now I'm running without a sim until my straight talk ones show up. And sprint is working fine that way.

To recap. New GPP works to enable AT&T (and presumably others) on a sprint locked 6.1.1 4S

And given how many times I've seen the asinine comments about sprint unlocking if you call them or an imei unlock for $20. I feel like I should mention that those don't work for sprint locked phones that you want to use in the united states.
    Last edited by DirkSwizzler; 02-19-2013 at 02:06 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So i tried this site you posted on the front page: Unlock iPhone, Official iPhone Unlock, Apple iTunes Unlock.

I have an iphone 4s from 3 network and they are charging me 109.99 for the unlock. That's a bit expensive, any cheaper sites you can recommend?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyo78 View Post
    So i tried this site you posted on the front page: Unlock iPhone, Official iPhone Unlock, Apple iTunes Unlock.

I have an iphone 4s from 3 network and they are charging me 109.99 for the unlock. That's a bit expensive, any cheaper sites you can recommend?
    For 3Uk I would suggest calling 3UK themselves to ask for it to be unlocked. More often than not the UK carriers will unlock it for about 15.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hi,

Now I'm looking at jailbreaking (and hopefully unlocking) an iPhone 4S. Pretty sure iOS is on 5.x.x, unsure of baseband.

By the looks of it- ultrasn0w don't unlock the 4S yet...

What are my other options? Cheers

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

IMEI or gevey sim

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    IMEI or gevey sim
    IMEI unlock is too expensive- 129 pounds! I haven't haven't heard much about Geveysim, does it affect your signal/recpetion or anything? Seems like a good option at $31...

Is there any word on when ultras0w might unlock it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ju08 View Post
    IMEI unlock is too expensive- 129 pounds! I haven't haven't heard much about Geveysim, does it affect your signal/recpetion or anything? Seems like a good option at $31...

Is there any word on when ultras0w might unlock it?
    What carrier is your phone locked to?

Gevey sims work pretty well. Just have to be sure to get the right one for whatever firmware you are on.

Ultrasnow will most likely never support a 4S. Software unlocking is pretty much dead these days.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    What carrier is your phone locked to?

Gevey sims work pretty well. Just have to be sure to get the right one for whatever firmware you are on.

Ultrasnow will most likely never support a 4S. Software unlocking is pretty much dead these days.
    It's locked to SoftBank (Japan). I'll have to check, but I think it's the 16GB version. Does Gevey Sim support all? Without going into a big discussion, why is unlocking dead now days? Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ju08 View Post
    It's locked to SoftBank (Japan). I'll have to check, but I think it's the 16GB version. Does Gevey Sim support all? Without going into a big discussion, why is unlocking dead now days? Cheers
    Ooh, SoftBank is notoriously hard to get unlocked. Gevey sim should work on it though. Just be sure to get the right one for your firmware like I said. They have a 5.1.1 and 6.X versions.
    Unlocking itself isn't dead. Just software unlocking (eg ultrasnow). Between gevey sims and all the IMEI unlocking sites now there just is no real call for it. Not to mention most countries apple sells them factory unlocked now.

Green Apple
    Thanks

SoftBank is notoriously hard to get unlocked. Gevey sim should work on it though.
    Okay thanks for that. How can I be sure it will work? I'll contact them first? I noticed the satisfaction guarantee, but I'll lose out on postage... I don't speak Japanese- anyone know if the operator (SoftBank) will unlock it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, I just purchased a Rogers iphone 4s thinking that it could be unlocked with a gevey sim. Tons of sites said gevey sim could unlock 3.0.04 6.0.1, I called a local guy that owns a store that unlocks, jailbrakes phones etc and asked if he had any gevey sims i could buy, he told me that they don't sell gevey sims anymore because the gevey for iphone 4s is unstable and didn't work well. So is he correct, do i have to resort to spending big $$ to IMEI unlock my iPhone?? My iphone is 3.0.04 6.0.1. Not Jailbroken yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheLilVuk View Post
    Hi, I just purchased a Rogers iphone 4s thinking that it could be unlocked with a gevey sim. Tons of sites said gevey sim could unlock 3.0.04 6.0.1, I called a local guy that owns a store that unlocks, jailbrakes phones etc and asked if he had any gevey sims i could buy, he told me that they don't sell gevey sims anymore because the gevey for iphone 4s is unstable and didn't work well. So is he correct, do i have to resort to spending big $$ to IMEI unlock my iPhone?? My iphone is 3.0.04 6.0.1. Not Jailbroken yet.
    He is wrong. There is a gevey sim for 6.0.1, it works just fine. You can get the 6.X version from applenberry.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not sure, never used one of them myself. If you try it let us know if it works.
    Hi Simon. Just an FYI, I finally received the RSIM7+ and it worked like a charm. Completely unlocked a Verizon 4S and I am using it on ATT now. Only issue I've seen so far is when I try to enable iMessage I receive an international text message for activation and iMessage wont activate. Not a deal breaker in my case, but maybe for others.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to blahblah65 For This Useful Post:

Simon (03-02-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah65 View Post
    Hi Simon. Just an FYI, I finally received the RSIM7+ and it worked like a charm. Completely unlocked a Verizon 4S and I am using it on ATT now. Only issue I've seen so far is when I try to enable iMessage I receive an international text message for activation and iMessage wont activate. Not a deal breaker in my case, but maybe for others.
    Nice. Did you have to install any extra patches for it to work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nice. Did you have to install any extra patches for it to work?
    Just the two in that youtube video I linked above.
    v.backspace.jp/repo --> CommCenter patch

cydia.myrepospace.com/polysony -> "ios5.1.1.1" It works on 6.1.2. It lists a couple of 6.0/6.1.2 patches now, but I stuck with the one in the youtube video to be safe and because those new patches say something about China CDMA.

BTW - any idea whats going on on the iMessage error?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to blahblah65 For This Useful Post:

Simon (03-04-2013)

Thanks

Nice, glad it worked for you.
    The iMessage thing is probably because the carrier you are using may not support the type of SMS that is required for iMessage to activate with your number. Have you tried setting up iMessage with your email instead?