Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: [How To] Check if you can Unlock
01-13-2012, 07:30 AM #661
Would like to ask for your feedback since you created and update this thread frequently. I bought a jailbroken Iphone 4 iOS4.1, baseband 02.10.04, using gevey ultra sim for unlocking, in July 2011. I want to upgrade to the latest upgradeable (untethered, unlocked) version. From your first post, for iPhone 4, it shows that for baseband 2.10.04, the highest upgradeable IOS is only 4.1. Is this true? Can I not upgrade it to the latest iOS 5? (see below):
Baseband Firmware Unlock:
1.59.00 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2 Yes (Ultrasn0w)
2.10.04 4.1 Gevey Sim
3.10.01 4.2.1 Gevey Sim
4.10.01 4.3.X Gevey Sim
4.11.08 5.0/5.0.1 None
Hope you can help. It's greatly appreciated
01-13-2012, 07:39 AM #662
First post shows what baseband comes with each firmware. Not meant to mean that is the highest firmware you can go to.
You can go to 5.0.1 but you will have to use a custom firmware made with pwnage tool or redsnow so that you preserve your baseband so that the gevey will still work. One other thing to be aware of since you have such a low baseband on 5.0.1 you will have a signal bar issue where even if you have full bars it will display as one bar. It is just cosmetic though.
01-13-2012, 09:05 AM #663
01-13-2012, 09:10 AM #664
01-14-2012, 08:46 AM #665
Hi again Simon,
I'm ready to upgrade now I've downloaded all the necessary files. Before I take the plunge, can you verify the steps I will take below are correct (step 1 completed already)? Reminder: My configuration is as follows: baseband 02.10.04, iOS4.1, Gevey SIM ultra:
1) Using tinyumbrella-5.10.06.exe, I saved my SHSH blob. Two saved SHSHs appeared: iPhone4 4.3.4 (8K2) & iPhone4 4.3.5 (8L1). I also used redsn0w.exe to fetch SHSH blob (16 blobs pulled)
2) Create custom restore IPSW using redsn0w as per the method written here: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Without Updating the Baseband (Windows) [5.0.1]
3) Jailbreak using redsn0w
4) Unlock. Since I am using Gevey ultra with furiousmod, I shouldn’t do anything, as the network detection is automatic
5) Install ultrasn0w package in Cydia to resolve the 1 signal bar issue as written here (see post by Prodigy): No 3G Signal on iOS 5.0.1 – Gevey Sim | Iphone 4 Problems
Have I got everything right? Appreciate if you can inform if there is anything else that I should do. Your help is greatly appreciated
Last edited by emy_77; 01-14-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Saving SHSH blob using redsn0w successful. Use USB2.0 instead of USB3.0 for iPhone cable
01-14-2012, 09:07 AM #666
I'm not sure if that furiosmod package has been updated to work with 5.0.1. If it hasnt you will need to do the 112 process manually.
Also when using redsnow you need to run it in windows xp compatibility mode to get around that limerain stuck problem.
01-14-2012, 09:59 AM #667error3194
I have started the jailbreak but got the famous error 3194 as attached. This occurred after the shift+restore. After "extracting software", "verifying iphone restore with apple", then this error appeared. What should I do now? I checked the file hosts in cwindows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and the 126.96.36.199 gs.apple.com is available. What should I do to resolve this? Appreciate if you can guide me.
Last edited by emy_77; 01-14-2012 at 10:03 AM.
01-14-2012, 10:54 AM #668
01-14-2012, 11:02 AM #669
After the tinyumbrella step, I was able to upgrade. But now, it shows set up, and message, 'the SIM card inserted in this.. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier....'. Pressing home button shows four options, 'Emergency call', 'Start again', 'Wi-fi settings', & 'Cancel'. I pressed Emergency call, and dialled 112, but no message, 'no SIM card installed' from gevey appeared. I tried a few times already. I turned off and on, and the same things appeared. Connecting to itunes, the same message appeared, 'the SIM card inserted in this...'. I can't go to Setting etc. Appreciate if you can help
Last edited by emy_77; 01-14-2012 at 11:37 AM.
01-14-2012, 12:36 PM #670
LOL I'm such a n00b. Forgot the jailbreak step. After jailbreak, I set up the 112 process manually. It took about three tries. There wasn't even one bar during the 112 setup, but I dialled 112 anyway, and after three shutdowns, it worked! Now, I'm on iOS5.0.1. Thanks very much Simon for your help. Now, I need to restore my apps
01-14-2012, 12:57 PM #671
01-14-2012, 07:34 PM #672
Just want to update on a few things:
1) Data service (Edge/3G) was unavailable upon upgrade. After a few tinkerings, found that turning on, 'Data Roaming' activated the data service. Is this normal?
2) Cydia sources are empty. For example, when I open repo666.ultrasn0w.com, it's empty. What should I do to get the packages? I'm looking for ultrasn0w (to resolve the one bar cosmetic problem), SBSetting, etc
3) 3G signal seems stronger with this iOS5 upgrade. Usually, inside my house, I can only get EDGE (but 3G outside the house), but now, even inside the house I can get 3G! However, it's still not strong enough at my office though. Still EDGE inside & outside the office
4) Personal hotspot is unavailable upon upgrade. Tried resetting Network Settings as suggested on some websites, but still unavailable
I'll update more once I spent more time with it
01-14-2012, 07:38 PM #673
1) yes normal, gevey requires data roaming setting to be on
2) In cydia go to changes tab and press refresh
btw I saw in another thread that furiosmod updated their package to 2.0 so that should work on 5.0.1 now I believe.
01-14-2012, 08:19 PM #674
https://twitter.com/#!/ApplenBerry "Furiousmod 2.0.0 currently works on iOS 5.0 and iOS 5.0.1 with PRESERVE baseband 4.10". Since mine is 02.10.04, do you think it will work? I tweeted ApplenBerry to ask the same question, but so far no reply yet
Also Simon, I'd like to ask for another help. Please forgive me, since this is my first time jailbreaking (the iOS4.1 was done by the shop), so, that's why many of these things are new to me. Earlier, when I upgraded to iOS5, when sync'ing to iTunes, it sync'ed with my Outlook for Contacts & Calendar and it also sync'ed my apps. That's ok with me. However, data like SMS, photos and documents are all gone (forgot to transfer before upgrade). I have two questions:
1) I had an iTunes backup from before the upgrade. If I restore from this backup, will I get all my previous data back?
2) Is it safe/ recommended to restore from backup which is from another iOS (iOS 4.1) into iOS5?
Your input is greatly appreciated
01-14-2012, 08:22 PM #675
01-14-2012, 08:43 PM #676
01-15-2012, 04:08 AM #677
Here are more updates:
1) furiousmod2 works! No more 112 now for me
2) for restoring from backup, I have the problem where, 'restore from backup' option is not available when I right-click on my iPhone. I read this No restore from backup option? - JailbreakQA that I need to install SAM to solve this problem. Do you think it's advisable? It looks complicated, and not sure it would work for gevey SIM
Appreciate for your inputs
01-15-2012, 07:47 AM #678
Just an update on the backup restore. I didn't install SAM for fear of incompatibility with gevey sim. Instead, I use icopybot to restore: iBackupBot - iTunes Backup Manager for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad It restored ok. I got all my photos, SMS & documents back However, I noticed that out of 104 apps that I had previously, only 40 apps were able to be installed/restored. Do you think it's iOS5 compatibility issue?
Also, the "restore from backup" is still not available when right-clicking on my iPhone in itunes, and the "Restore" button on the summary page is also greyed out. I'm not sure whether this will be problematic when I want to upgrade in the future. But I'll leave that for later
However, so far, I think I have got everything as I wanted now for my iPhone with regards to iOS5. Thanks a lot to you Simon for helping and guiding me throughout the upgrade & jailbreaking. I would have certainly given up halfway if you hadn't helped me Thanks once again!
01-15-2012, 08:26 AM #679
01-15-2012, 11:44 AM #680
Hello I've got a Iphone 3g that's running 4.2.1 with the BB at 5.15.04. I see that the only way to unlock this phone to is upgrade it to the Ipad Baseband, I am not comfortable since I read upgrading to the Ipad Baseband can brick the phone in the process... How likely is the phone to brick? and Do I have other options? like upgrading to 4.3
Thank you for your time.
Last edited by MiaField; 01-15-2012 at 12:04 PM.