+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhone Question

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else, but I am just learning more and more about this. Anyways, I am in Canada and have an unlocked iPhone (using Rogers)
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Unlocked iPhone Question
    Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else, but I am just learning more and more about this.

Anyways, I am in Canada and have an unlocked iPhone (using Rogers) and firmware 1.0.2. I am also using iTunes 7.4.2.4. Everything is working fine and I of course will not be upgrading the firmware until we all know it works with unlocked phones.

At any rate, I was wondering, if something happened to my iPhone and I had to use the restore feature in iTunes to restore it for whatever reason, is it SAFE to do this?

I dont want to risk the chance of re-locking my phone after the restore or worse, it upgrading the firmware. If I did a restore and it finished and the firmware was still 1.0.2 and it re-locked, is it as easy as just unlocking it again to use with another SIM card?

Any help would be appreciated. Just looking to the future when I may have to to a restore, as I am sure we all had to do it at one time or another with our iPods.

Oh and one more. I purchased the phone on eBay. If and when a "safe" 1.1.1 firmware upgrade comes along for the unlocked phones, do I need to know what method was used in unlocking my iPhone? Is there any way to find this out other than contacting the eBay seller who sold it to me?

Thanks again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperextension View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else, but I am just learning more and more about this.

Anyways, I am in Canada and have an unlocked iPhone (using Rogers) and firmware 1.0.2. I am also using iTunes 7.4.2.4. Everything is working fine and I of course will not be upgrading the firmware until we all know it works with unlocked phones.

At any rate, I was wondering, if something happened to my iPhone and I had to use the restore feature in iTunes to restore it for whatever reason, is it SAFE to do this?

I dont want to risk the chance of re-locking my phone after the restore or worse, it upgrading the firmware. If I did a restore and it finished and the firmware was still 1.0.2 and it re-locked, is it as easy as just unlocking it again to use with another SIM card?

Any help would be appreciated. Just looking to the future when I may have to to a restore, as I am sure we all had to do it at one time or another with our iPods.

Oh and one more. I purchased the phone on eBay. If and when a "safe" 1.1.1 firmware upgrade comes along for the unlocked phones, do I need to know what method was used in unlocking my iPhone? Is there any way to find this out other than contacting the eBay seller who sold it to me?

Thanks again.
    if you do have to do a restore, i think you will still be ok to do the following(not positive, as i've not had to do this yet):

1. connect to itunes like normal for a restore
    2. select the iphone tab, if it's not already
    3. hold down shift on windows or option if on a mac, and click restore
    4. it should let you choose which firmware you want to install. i do believe each version of the firmware is in the downloads section of this site so you can download an older firmware and restore with that. if you just click restore, i am pretty sure it will also update your firmware, which obviously wouldn't be good since you've got an unlocked phone.

hopefully you won't need to do a restore...at least until after the devs crack the new firmware and release new programs. i highly doubt you will need to know which method was used to unlock the phone, as they all achieve the same effect. the only reason i could see that you might need to know which method was used would be whether it was a software or hardware unlock, as i haven't read anything about the hardware unlocks and how they are working with the new update.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rianbattle For This Useful Post:

Hyperextension (09-28-2007)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thanks for the info