Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G Stuck in recovery mode (error 1015)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 3G Stuck in recovery mode (error 1015)
    my friend has an iphone 3g where he is trying to reinstall 3.1.3 he says it downloads to his phone, itunes says its restoring,then verifying, then restoring iphone firmware, and then tries to reboot and gets error 1015. He already tried to use ibrickr to kick it out of recovery mode. Any help would be awesome.

He really wants to unlock also, so could he update to say 4.1 with tiny umbrella and preserve the baseband?
    Last edited by iPittsburgh; 10-16-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 15,546 Times in 7,107 Posts

Use tiny umbrella or recboot to boot it out of recovery when you get error 1015.

Tiny umbrella cannot preserve baseband on a 3G (that only applies to a iPhone 4). To preserve baseband you need to make a custom 4.1 firmware with sn0wbreeeze and restore to that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Use tiny umbrella or recboot to boot it out of recovery when you get error 1015.

Tiny umbrella cannot preserve baseband on a 3G (that only applies to a iPhone 4). To preserve baseband you need to make a custom 4.1 firmware with sn0wbreeeze and restore to that.
    would using tiny umbrella to reboot would the phone still have the 3.1.3 os? and how exactly should he use tiny umbrella so i can walk him through step by step. I havent personally ran into this problem yet so im not sure how to tell him how to use tiny umbrella

Thanks
    Thanked 15,546 Times in 7,107 Posts

If he is using a pre 4.1.8 version of tiny umbrella he would just plug his iphone in, run tiny umbrella as administrator and you will see "kick device out of recovery" button. If it is tiny umbrella 4.1.8 he does the same but just has to right click on his device and select kick out of recovery.

And yes he will be on 3.1.3 if that is what he restored to. He is getting that error because he must have been on a higher firmware and has a higher baseband. So when itunes goes to load the baseband on it at the end, it errors because the baseband cannot be downgraded.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

iPittsburgh (10-16-2010)