My friend bought an iPhone 4 and gave me his 3G. Before he gave it to me he restored it. So it is unactivated and stuck on emergency mode(forgive me for any incorrect iPhone 'lingo' as I am a newbie).
I asked him what OS it was on and all he could tell me was "the newest one" which i guess is 4.something.... so i have been searching Google, Bing, YouTube, everything under the sun on how to unlock this thing so I can use it on T-Mobile. I was able to jailbreak it using redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 using the file "iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore" so my guess is the OS is 4.o b/c it worked. I really am clueless about the OS or "baseband" as the phone is locked and I can't look in the settings. I tried activating it using an AT&T SIM and when I put the SIM in it still said NO SIM, the owner of the SIM was a Blackberry user w/ full data plan and all. So at this point I'm growing weary of searching and searching and finding dead end after dead end. I also d/l blackra1n which seemed promising but I can't even figure out how to downgrade to 3.1.2. Help would be greatly appreciated as I am very anxious to switch from team blackberry to team iPhone!!!!