Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlockers, it's your fault.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Default Unlockers, it's your fault.
    Sorry I feel this discussion deserves it's own thread. I support modding, but the unlocking has screwed this up for everyone.

I don't point the finger in a mean way, but I do point the finger at the truth.

Apple would have ignored phone modders completely if the service unlock wouldn't have taken people to different networks and put their contract with AT&T in jeopardy.

You'd be sitting on your phone right now playing NES or blackjack, or customizing your themes just like people do on OS-X every day. Apple doesn't really care that much about your third party apps. Apple cares about those few third party apps that unlock the phone so the only way to stop the unlocking.......... kill ALL third parts apps.

It's a case of "spoiling the whole bunch with a few unlockers". If the phones would not have been unlocked Apple would still be getting their cut of the cash from AT&T and no one would have heard a PEEP from Apple regarding third party apps.

In regards to the US, if you didn't want AT&T service, don't buy an Iphone. For the UK and parts beyond... patience.... it was coming.

Your efforts of unlocking this phone have made it where running third party apps, themes, and games takes an act of god to do now.

Apple would have ignored this just like they do with OS-X on the full size systems.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

2. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

Dash-2 (09-28-2007)

you are out of your mind........unlocking is like free speach......no way should the apple phone be able to run only through one carrier......thanks to the phone hackers and unlockers (if there is such word) you guys are the bomb.....how can i contribute!!!!!

LOL after every firmware update, this happens... It's nothing new because of unlockers. I myself had no need to unlock, but this will be fixed soon.

Creator of "Phiberglass" Theme.
    www.austingrade.com
    www.iphoneinfoblog.com
    Computer: MacBook Pro
    Processor: 2.53GHz
    Memory: 4 GB SDRAM
    Drive Space: 320 GB
    Phone: 16GB White
    External Drives: 250 GB & 350 GB

WRONG.

Here is why.

3rd party apps in general CAN be unstable unless you got a proper coder doing the work. Unlocking software doesn't DO anything to the phone except change the baseband, its COMPLETELY seperate from the OS of the Iphone. If you read the PSP hacking scene, someone actually MADE a virus and unsuspecting people uploaded that to their PSP and bricked it. That is what Apple is trying to prevent. Unstable programs, program viruses from bricking the phone and cause them headaches. So its not unlockers fault, its the general unstable nature of 3rd party apps and not everyone being a certified coder.

See this is where I find it completely wrong. I am in Canada. I want an Iphone. Should I sit on my *** and wait patiently for my ONLY GSM carrier to do something? For crying out loud, they just got the TyTN. So what should I do? Wait for an Iphone when about 90% of the population already has one?
    Last edited by danman227460; 09-27-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Let me be the first to say stop whining

3rd party is 3rd party. Whether it's to use it on t-mobile or just play NES. People mod the Iphone to fit their needs.

Still had a long way to go but I can't think of any 3rd party app I miss resides terminal / open ssh

If anything blame Apple and I'm not blaming anyone. They are the ones who put Iphone strictly on AT&T

If you have been following the PSP firmware scene, you will know Apple can never win in this battle lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus2007 View Post
    If you have been following the PSP firmware scene, you will know Apple can never win in this battle lol.
    Well Apple has a few tricks mainly Itunes. PSP doesn't use any software like that so they can't force people to update, its all about you wanting the features future firmware has. Now with Itunes, everytime you sync, apple can go here take this.

I usually dont reply to stuff like this, but just one comment: Be patient, developers, whether you want to call them acting by god or whatever, are fixing the problem. Dont stress out and feel like anyone is to blame. Its natural to unlock phones... it's what people do to cell phones. The iphone wasnt the first and wont be the last. So just chill, relax and enjoy your mods for now... in a few days, maybe tommorow, you will be able to get your update and have mods.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to knowtheobscure For This Useful Post:

diverboy (09-28-2007)

I unlocked my IPhone because it is not availible in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPete View Post
    I unlocked my IPhone because it is not availible in Canada. How does me unlocking my phone efect you or anybody else?
    Exactly. I am going to get an Iphone soon and I will be unlocking it to use in Canada because Rogers sucks and will not be getting the Iphone before the next version comes out.

Thanks

"it's not available in" is not an excuse. It's coming worldwide, you just didn't want to wait.

I do not support apple in their decision to iron fist this technology, but if you piss in the wind, you're going to get a face full of resistance.

How does me unlocking my phone efect you or anybody else?
    The downside to the unlocking is making 3rd party apps hard for everyone that apple would have normally ignored. You think they'd have pursued this if people weren't unlocking? If so, they you're delusional. It affects EVERYBODY.

This is just the facts..... this one little unlocking trick has caused a lot of grief for 3rd party apps.

So don't mod your phone.. You will be cool, i will be cooler..

again you are wrong....unlocking is everyone's right who purchases the iphone and wishes to use it with whatever carrier they see fit...apple is loving every minute of this "unlocking" they are running a business and a business needs to be profitable to succeed and they are.....so don't kid yourself if you think that apple is pissed at the fact that the iphone has been unlocked, they are reveling on the fact that millions of people now have access to the wonderful technology that is the iphone, case in point our friend in Canada and all over the world........god bless the hackers, ie unlockers.....whatever you are called.....keep up the good work!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    "it's not available in" is not an excuse. It's coming worldwide, you just didn't want to wait.

I do not support apple in their decision to iron fist this technology, but if you piss in the wind, you're going to get a face full of resistance.

The downside to the unlocking is making 3rd party apps hard for everyone that apple would have normally ignored. You think they'd have pursued this if people weren't unlocking? If so, they you're delusional. It affects EVERYBODY.

This is just the facts..... this one little unlocking trick has caused a lot of grief for 3rd party apps.
    So you think I should be a good little boy and WAIT? Please, if you lived in Canada and saw how Rogers handled their phones, you would be ready to do anything for an Iphone. Trust me, by the time Iphones hit Canada, you guys will be playing with Iphone V2.0

Again if you chose to read my post, I told you its not AnySims fault. Its the general unstability of the 3rd party apps. Haven't you read where someone on this forum installed a 3rd party app, have the phone crash and having to restore it? What if one 3rd party app does that but BRICKS your phone? It wouldn't be AnySims fault now would it? So far as I can tell, AnySim hasn't really caused much damge to the phone. Most of the issues seem to be installing beta or unstable 3rd part apps. Now you can correct me or continue to ignore my insight.
    Last edited by danman227460; 09-27-2007 at 09:33 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to danman227460 For This Useful Post:

mariomejias (09-27-2007)

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry I feel this discussion deserves it's own thread. I support modding, but the unlocking has screwed this up for everyone.

I don't point the finger in a mean way, but I do point the finger at the truth.

Apple would have ignored phone modders completely if the service unlock wouldn't have taken people to different networks and put their contract with AT&T in jeopardy.

You'd be sitting on your phone right now playing NES or blackjack, or customizing your themes just like people do on OS-X every day. Apple doesn't really care that much about your third party apps. Apple cares about those few third party apps that unlock the phone so the only way to stop the unlocking.......... kill ALL third parts apps.

It's a case of "spoiling the whole bunch with a few unlockers". If the phones would not have been unlocked Apple would still be getting their cut of the cash from AT&T and no one would have heard a PEEP from Apple regarding third party apps.

In regards to the US, if you didn't want AT&T service, don't buy an Iphone. For the UK and parts beyond... patience.... it was coming.

Your efforts of unlocking this phone have made it where running third party apps, themes, and games takes an act of god to do now.

Apple would have ignored this just like they do with OS-X on the full size systems.
    i didint unlock my iphone,i have AT&T but i still sipport the unlockers.. i dont mind..its not nobodys fault.. if u dont like it then why dont u leave our forum and just have a boring iphone cuz even by u modding "messed everything up"

IPHONE HACKERS AND MODDERS WILL CONCURE THE WORLD!!!
    Last edited by iphonejeff; 09-27-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    mod edit, old signature removed

19. The Following User Says Thank You to iphonejeff For This Useful Post:

mariomejias (09-27-2007)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    so what you're saying is that you feel that if everybody just conformed and switched over to AT&T we wouldn't have this problem?

I think you're wrong. I work for AT&T and even I thought it sucked that we have such a long exclusive deal...it screws everyone else. I haven't unlocked my phone and i don't plan on it...but its your right to do so.

And seriously...how are unlockers to blame? Apple has stated many times it does not support third party applications. To be honest I love my iphone but i think apple has really dropped the ball. If it weren't for the modders and the unlockers you know what we would have? A boring *** phone. thats right...i said it...maybe its just me because I can't seem to keep one phone longer than a few months without going out of my mind...but if i hadnt've modded my phone...i'd be going insane wanting something newer and cooler.

So all in all...stop blaming the unlockers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphonejeff View Post
    i didint unlock my iphone,i have AT&T but i still sipport the unlockers.. i dont mind..its not nobodys fault.. if u dont like it then why dont u leave our forum and just have a boring iphone cuz even by u modding "messed everything up"

IPHONE HACKERS AND MODDERS WILL CONCURE THE WORLD!!!
    Reading skills my friend.....

This is "MODmyiphone.com" not UNLOCKmyiphone.com" I somehow don't think you are able to grasp this by your response.

The DEV team is to be commended for their awesome efforts in creating these killer hacks that I own every one of and have installed EXCEPT unlocking.

What part of this do I need to explain in depth?

Quote Originally Posted by Amosrock View Post
    so what you're saying is that you feel that if everybody just conformed and switched over to AT&T we wouldn't have this problem?

I think you're wrong. I work for AT&T and even I thought it sucked that we have such a long exclusive deal...it screws everyone else. I haven't unlocked my phone and i don't plan on it...but its your right to do so.

And seriously...how are unlockers to blame? Apple has stated many times it does not support third party applications. To be honest I love my iphone but i think apple has really dropped the ball. If it weren't for the modders and the unlockers you know what we would have? A boring *** phone. thats right...i said it...maybe its just me because I can't seem to keep one phone longer than a few months without going out of my mind...but if i hadnt've modded my phone...i'd be going insane wanting something newer and cooler.

So all in all...stop blaming the unlockers

and.......you're wrong.

it's simple (and highly obvious) economics. When in history has Apple gone this far to stop someone from creating a notepad app, or a to do app, or a widget with lava coming out of it and updated it into OS-X to kill your programs and widgets?

Never, correct. Why? No money was at stake. If you walk from AT&T Apple looses millions plus it severs their relationship with AT&T.

The other path taken: Stay on AT&T, no unlockers, Apple wouldn't have blinked twice at your cool new theme pack.
    Last edited by one1; 09-27-2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Reading skills my friend.....

This is "MODmyiphone.com" not UNLOCKmyiphone.com" I somehow don't think you are able to grasp this by your response.

The DEV team is to be commended for their awesome efforts in creating these killer hacks that I own every one of and have installed EXCEPT unlocking.

What part of this do I need to explain in depth?
    Again you ignore me. Does my posts have some truth you are unwilling to see? You might be fine now but later on when other 3rd party apps start pouring out, how do you know one of them wont brick it? Are you going to blame unlocking app now?

You know what, there is a flawed logic here. Doesn't Apple sell their phones through their stores? Doesn't that mean Apple is MAKING a bigger profit from that than AT&T contracts? For those people unwilling to deal with AT&T clerks, where do they go? Apple store.
    Last edited by danman227460; 09-27-2007 at 09:44 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone zoidberg md's Avatar
    Thanks

maybe you fail to remember... This is pretty uncharted territory. Most phone companys make a phone, sell it then move on and make a new version. (think razer)

This is the first (that I can think of) where the phone its self is upgraded. Blaming people is rediculous. There is no right or wrong on either side. Apple is doing what they think is right (protect the bottom line) and the hackers are doing their part ( providing the freedom to choose carrier or apps) who is right who is wrong who is to blame? No one.

It seem trivial to think that in today society that you release something like this and not expect people to reverse engineer it. If anything it will make apple more likely to put more effort into their updates. As of right now a louder ring doest superceid my bitchin themes or 5 dice.
    ill stick with 1.0.2 for now thanks.
    Hey apple enable the video record and ill drop my themes!
    Last edited by zoidberg md; 09-27-2007 at 09:58 PM. Reason: cuz

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zoidberg md For This Useful Post:

oOXDreadXOo (09-29-2007)

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

that guy is just stupid case closed...
    mod edit, old signature removed

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast