Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 117

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Unlockers, it's your fault.

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I bricked my iPhone and the only person I blame is myself for updating. I also made the choice to unlock my iPhone even thou I use AT&T. So it
...
  1. #61
    iPhoneaholic XFaega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SomeWhereHere
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts

    I bricked my iPhone and the only person I blame is myself for updating. I also made the choice to unlock my iPhone even thou I use AT&T. So it all comes down to you that needs to be blamed not the creators. They didn't hold you by gun and tell you that you had to unlock and update. The dev team will have something soon. Also I know there is a loop hole in the firmware. Any every case when a company updates they always miss something because they are focused on the holes that need to be patched and in the mean while another is created without knowing. Just have faith. I'm going to be out of a iPhone until then. So I will be using my BlackJack.

  2. #62
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    You'd be sitting on your phone right now playing NES or blackjack, or customizing your themes just like people do on OS-X every day.

    who says I am not?

    i don't respond much, but just like it was my choice to buy the iphone, it was my choice to not update it.

    Apple is only going to lose money because of their greed so I do not see a problem at all with unlocking the phone. I have not done anything illegal and i am stuck with a $400 v.1.0.2 iPhone until another unlock becomes available, i think i can handle not being able to buy and download music right from my phone.

    and if you are looking to blame someone point the finger back at apple. They entire business model is based on costumer loyalty from what i have seen, what better way to earn more loyal costumers than actively preventing them from using their products.

    on the other hand what are the odd Apple re-signs with AT&T after 2 years?

  3. #63
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    are you stupid? so don't upgrade the firmware for now. if you're not a damn internets noob, then you would have the proper perspective to whether or not upgrade, amirite? how about wait for devs to make up something, or better yet, stop btching.

    patience? how about people living in asia, needing to wait for 2008 with still uncertainity whether iPhone will really release in asia? hmm?

    unlocker's fault? their fault for freeing thousands of iPhone users from that goddamn at&t ball and chain? working for the mass at no cost at all? hmm, better rethink your thoughts again.

    i try not to reply to simple discussions, but this thread's bliss ignorance forced me.

  4. #64
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hanz0e View Post
    i try not to reply to simple discussions
    You should stick to that since you aren't capable of doing it intelligently.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

  5. #65
    Green Apple ruruep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Look People We Should Just Stop This Whole Blaming Crap On Anyone,,,we All Know Once The Dam Thing Gets Hacked Again We're All Gonna Be Back At Modding The Darn Thing Again........and For The Non-at&t Users ,,im Just Curious,,,, How Much Was It Worth Unlocking The Phone To Use With Your Provider/?????? I Thought So!!!!!!!!!!! All We're Waiting For Now Is For Those Dam Sprint Customers To Join The Unlockers.

  6. #66
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts

    "with great power comes great responsabilty" apple gave us the power to mod our phones. they could have easily locked it down since it first came out but no. they made it relatively easy for us. we abused that power by unlocking and putting apple in a very difficult position. It was sandwiched in between its LEGAL bindings with ATT and its CHOICE to allow us to continue modding. apple is known for letting people have their fun but we went to far. i for one say:
    Apple im sorry.
    [i never unlocked just modded]

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to xc00lxkidx For This Useful Post:

    one1 (09-29-2007)

  8. #67
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I am on at&t and never modded or unlocked. I upgraded to 1.1.1 and i think its a kinda pointless. you cannot download from the store unless you're connected to WiFi...

    So basicly your not missing anything.

    As for this thread and the whole complaint, I LOVE my phone, i have had AT&T for the past 7 years and have not had any complaints. If the iPhone came out on ANY other carrier i would have still been there on iDay purchasing the iPhone and waiting for an unlock... I do agree that Apple was forced to do this.

    I highly doubt that when AT&T had their legal team type up the contract with apple or vice-versa they didnt have something in there about unlocking the phone...It will be interesting to see where this battle with locking/unlocking goes, but i wouldnt be surprised if they shafted many people with bricking the phone.

    I have nothing against modding or unlocking, i never did it becasue i didnt want to risk warranty problems or mess up my phone. I normally mod ALL of my gadgets, iPod, PSP, Car...

    just my $0.02

  9. #68
    Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 201 Times in 181 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pmas View Post
    No dude, in fact you are wrong and must understand that YOU can't simply change your mind after being bound. You are legally bound to the contract. You can say it's not so, but guess what? It is so.
    When go and prchase an Iphone i didnt sign any contracts, I piad for the Iphone its my Property not Apple so i take advantage of the Product not apple. Yeah i love apple products but hate ther bussines plans. Like what they just did. But anyways give it a few days and those devs are going to have new unlocking apps and im gonna unlock my firmware 1.1.1 iphone.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

  10. #69
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Davis, California
    Posts
    674
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts


  11. #70
    What's Jailbreak? MnRepoMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Please stop posting crap like this and go back in your cubicle.




    I have heard some BS spewed before but this de de de gets the prize...

  12. #71
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Murfunit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    232
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts

    My 2cents:

    Yes Apple had to take some stance on the unlockers. How does it cost them 5.2k? They share revenue with AT&T for every iPhone activated on their service. No activation on AT&T means no revenue to share. Their hand was forced.

    Did it need to be one that was totally unrepairable, even for a fee? I don't think so. Not repairing it under warranty I can fully understand. Not repairing it at all? Thats another story. If I used something non GM in my Pontiac and it damaged the car, I wouldn't expect my dealer to repair it under my warranty, but I wouldn't expect to be told Sorry - you now have a car shaped planter, go put it in your front yard. For those willing to pay to fix it there should be a way - even if it requires a mandatory activation with AT&T.

    The unlockers didn't cause the loss of 3rd party apps. The need to update the phone to add new features did. The update from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 broke the apps, the update from iTunes 7.3.X to 7.4.X broke the apps and bricked some phones. Who was to blame then? Noone had unlocked anything yet. Oh wait, could it have been... Noone? /gasp.

    In technical fields, it's a fact of life: Updates break add ons. When that happens the developers of the add ons take a bit of time and they update to restore them.

    Looking for someone to blame is pointless. There is noone to blame.
    Last edited by Murfunit; 09-29-2007 at 08:16 AM.
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette

  13. #72
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    You should stick to that since you aren't capable of doing it intelligently.
    did you just pull that out your ***? stop being a smartass just because, ok? also, stfu.

  14. #73
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hanz0e View Post
    did you just pull that out your ***? stop being a smartass just because, ok? also, stfu.
    Yes I can certainly see where I was wrong now.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

  15. #74
    Green Apple scuba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I cant believe all this talk about how much it costs apple blaa blaa.Do you think they would have sold as many Iphones as they have if the phone couldnt be unlocked??? hell no...They made a killing.I mean they sold 1 million phones just over that weekend from the price drop.Sure they may have problems with AT&T but they shouldnt hold apple liable for someone hacking in and unlocking it...AT&T just wanted to be greedy and get more customers because of the Iphone..Hoping people would switch providers to them just for the Iphone.And then charge people an extrea $20 just to use the Iphone on their network..>BS...Ill stick with unlocked on T-Mobile.

  16. #75
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    33.57, -86.75
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts

    My honest and unbiased opinion is this and this is not meant to start up a flame or be anything other than my objective thoughts.

    Open Source has been one of those things which has done great good and, despite it going against the idea of capitalism that our economy is based off of, it has also helped spur it on in its own way. I feel that we need both in order to keep progressing with future technology and software. When it comes to the iPhone, it is definitely the cumulation of my argument. We have a product made for a capitalistic market, yet the idea and use of Open Source has caused the sales to be pushed beyond what most likely would have been produced had it been locked in the general sense, meaning no modding at all.

    What I haven't taken into account is the contract that Apple has with AT&T and how despite the sales increase due to modding, they are also losing a great deal of money due in part that they decided to only sign with AT&T and most of the unlockers don't use it. So yes, the work of this community has cost them a great deal of money, but it is also pushing their sales up at the same time. If Apple were to have thought through all of this, they probably could have predicted this and formulated a better plan, yet now they are forced, though that isn't really a good choice of words, to push out new firmware to stop this bump in their initial plan and to counter the loss of income they are experiencing.

    While I agree that Open Source should be pushed, I feel that it is also safe to assume that we need some capitalistic companies because that is what our country is based off and while software isn't the only type of company in this country, the use of capitalism does help push the development of newer technologies, software, hardware, etc.

    If Apple never got its total revenue from iPods, would it have been able to create the iPhone? Maybe. Maybe technology development would have gone a different direction.

    Everything works together and I don't feel you can totally separate the two. Enjoy the fruits of both.

    (PS. I just woke up, so pardon any repetition or, well, poor grammar and the such.)

    Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    I cant believe all this talk about how much it costs apple blaa blaa.Do you think they would have sold as many Iphones as they have if the phone couldnt be unlocked??? hell no...They made a killing.I mean they sold 1 million phones just over that weekend from the price drop.Sure they may have problems with AT&T but they shouldnt hold apple liable for someone hacking in and unlocking it...AT&T just wanted to be greedy and get more customers because of the Iphone..Hoping people would switch providers to them just for the Iphone.And then charge people an extrea $20 just to use the Iphone on their network..>BS...Ill stick with unlocked on T-Mobile.
    I agree to an extent. It costs $280.83 to produce an 8GB iPhone, the rest being profit, a nice 50% cut of it. They are being well funded by their sale of iPhones and while you can't have an iPhone without a capitalistic economy like our own, Open Source is making them a good bit of cushioning.

    *Note* When I say something wouldn't have been produced without capitalism, I meant more along the lines that Apple probably wouldn't have developed it had there been no funding for such.
    Last edited by Kitsune; 09-29-2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitsune For This Useful Post:

    one1 (09-29-2007)

  18. #76
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Thank you for your insight. I knew that there was someone here that could do this logically and professionally.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

  19. #77
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Troll.

  20. #78
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    33.57, -86.75
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts

    Says the guy with one post and no relevant information to the topic at hand.

    Though it is a bit hypocritical that I even type this in response.
    Last edited by Kitsune; 09-29-2007 at 01:00 PM.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitsune For This Useful Post:

    one1 (09-29-2007)

  22. #79
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    You still don't get it and probably never will. If the simple act of unlocking would be left out of the equation we would not have to go through all this BS because apple would not give a rats arse who put a barney screen saver on their phone. The concept is simple..... the unlockers are making the 3rd party modders who could care less about unlocking (which is the VAST majority mind you. Less than 15% of the phones are unlocked) do ten times the work just to put a stupid background on their phone.

    Yes, PF we will get it back unlocked for the masses and we will have to do this again shortly when apple locks it again because they are going to pursue this more aggressively than anything you've ever seen. The more it is unlocked, the more it will be locked until we get down to nothing. Total lock.... it can happen. Then we are all screwed because of the 15% that wanted to unlock. THAT is the point.

    Until the fix comes I just won't update, but we will need apple in the future for something, then what? This conversation IS relevant to the future.

    oh, i get it, alright. its just a matter of whether or not i agree with you... and i dont. plain and simple. shall i burn in hell for eternity? because god forbid i disagree with you.
    Last edited by afulinara; 09-29-2007 at 02:02 PM.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to afulinara For This Useful Post:

    lighter (09-30-2007)

  24. #80
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Man, this thread is getting ugly.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts