Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 117

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Unlockers, it's your fault.

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
How the hell is unlocking a phone even remotely related to freedom of speech? So I can just walk around town stealing people's phones to make calls then right? I
...
  1. #41
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Davis, California
    Posts
    674
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts

    How the hell is unlocking a phone even remotely related to freedom of speech?

    So I can just walk around town stealing people's phones to make calls then right? I mean, I'd just be exercising freedom of speech, right?!

  2. #42
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by afulinara View Post
    you seem to be missing the point. those who have unlocked their phones arent the ones who are ********, its the original poster who's ********, and blaming unlockers for his/her lost apps.

    no one is to blame but yourself, you shouldnt have updated. thats that.
    I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over your own ignorance, can you please stare into this picture and try that post again while reading my sig that has been there long before this thread was made?




    Quote Originally Posted by GPUnique View Post
    #1 nice thread, you'll make a lot of friends this way.

    #2 I AM sitting at home playing with my unlocked phone, cause I didn't update the firmware. Why bother until a new fix comes out?

    #3 Its APPLE'S FAULT for limiting what carrier uses the iPhone, not letting us LEGALLY unlock the phone and keep it unlocked, and (most importantly) the way the sell the phone. No other phone can you buy in a store without a contract for the same price as with one. So point your finger at them. If the phone were $300 more than if you bought it at AT&T with a contract, you would have much less people unlocking and/or selling on eBay. Its their own dumb *** fault so that they can say "We're soooo cool you can activate your phone within iTunes." Whop te dooo. If they did a traditional cell phone sale and/or contract, the numbers of unlockers would have been drastically decreased.

    #4 A new unlock and jailbreak for modding will happen. It will just take time, so quite whining.
    #1- Global acceptance is my number one priority. God knows I'll cut myself and make an emo blog if someone doesn't like me, heaven forbid.

    #2- I've been saying this all along. Is no one reading any other threads here?

    #3- No it's the users fault for not being able to take NO for an answer. Generally it's a personality flaw called stubbornness. (which I am known for, but when I am told before I spend the money it's my own damn fault).

    #4- No doubt, but it will not change the fact that the efforts to unlock only make more efforts to re-lock until they finally get it nailed down. It CAN happen and it will be the result of the efforts to unlock it. Whining is what the whiney arses are doing that bricked their phones into 1.1.1 today after they were told it would happen. Whining is buying a phone that says AT&T only and WHINING because it is only available for that carrier, much like you were doing in #3. Whining is hardly a discussion of the facts.

    People on here don't seem to distinguish the difference between modding and unlocking. When you mod you do it at the software level which is perfectly fine. When you unlock you do it at the deepest root of the chip that controls the entire system and it bones your setup. This is where I have a problem with it. What you need is to get a very big cup of coffee and sit down to read ALL of this: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8491

    Then you'll see why (a) this is a very stupid thing to do to your phone and (b) why the modding is not only cool, but safe! - however the unlocking is a ticking time bomb in your system that can cause "irreparable damage". It wasn't a threat by apple, it was a warning of truth.

    If PF can read that thread I linked and still fully support unlocking with the logistics described in how it destroys the hardware of the system, then I have underestimated how far one will go to "have it their way". Modding at the software level is not only a beautiful thing, it's healthy for the system in comparison to hardware re-writing. There is a massive difference. I love and support PF and this site and everything on it and about it except the self inflicted destruction of the hardware chip due to the operation of unlocking. Just read the thread linked.
    Last edited by one1; 09-28-2007 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

  3. #43
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Sorry, but I need to chime in here..
    Unlocking is like freedom of speech? That is ridiculous. Someone needs to read that amendment again!
    Further, though I do feel you should be able to unlock your phone, I also feel that the original post of this thread is somewhat accurate. Keep in mind that apple and att have a binding contract and millions or more dollars at stake. Though we do not know what truly happens at apples board meetings, you can bet that att, who loses money every time someone chooses to unlock rather than contract att, undoubtedly pressured apple to to stop the unlocking. I think we are all forgetting the fact that att doesn't get the contract when the phone is unlocked and brought to another service! With that in mind and thinking business bottom line, att and apple have no choice but to cease the unlocking every chance they get. Remember, apple, like any company, does not care all that much about the customer. They care about the bottom line first, customer second.
    As for me, right now I am still enjoying my mods and will not update until this passes. Many thanks to all the people who put their time and effort into the mods/apps. Cheers!
    Last edited by pmas; 09-28-2007 at 05:00 AM.

  4. #44
    Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 201 Times in 181 Posts

    YOUR WRONGIf you buy an iphone it's your property not apples and yet STEVE is playing stupid. Treating customers like crap.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

  5. #45
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yowiphone View Post
    YOUR WRONGIf you buy an iphone it's your property not apples and yet STEVE is playing stupid. Treating customers like crap.
    YES THAT'S RIGHT.
    i really agree with you pal, if i paid the monee, whos gon tell me wot to do with it.

  6. #46
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    391
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 53 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by yowiphone View Post
    YOUR WRONGIf you buy an iphone it's your property not apples and yet STEVE is playing stupid. Treating customers like crap.
    ya, but you bought the phone, therefore accepted the terms of service under the apple warranty. So if you go beyond that, you aren't playing by the rules. Go buy a new car, modify it and destroy the engine within the same week and see how much they help you...same thing. If you use your phone outside of what it was intended for, as stated in the warranty, then don't whine and ***** when it bricks or gets locked again. Im actually surprised that apple and ATT haven't presented legal action against other carriers for allowing iphones to be used on their network. As for steve playing stupid, thats how apple has always played....every notice that you can't legally install their os on anything but a mac......? can't change your mac system hardware? this is nothing new, but they have a band of loyal followers that will pay through the nose for stuff that was designed to not be altered or improved upon without Apple's say so
    Really?

  7. #47
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I would of waited for the iPhone for Rogers in canada but unfortunately we are not as lucky as you to get unlimited data for a decent price. and most likely Rogers will MAKE us get Data.. Therefore i will never buy a phone with Rogers.. I never have.

    unlocking has been around for a while now and didn;t Apple's stock go up 2% the day after Geohotz unlocked the first iphone?

    so i think Apple is making TONES of money off people buy their product..

    you have some valid points and i think people are over seeing them because of the offense they are taking..

    i myself unlocked my iphone because:

    1) i am cellphone whore.. i need the newest phone out there.
    2) the price dropped.. i would never pay the original price the phone was so blame Steve for that one
    3) even if Rogers gets it i am NOT and i repeat NOT paying the ridiculous data prices here in Canada. and they would probably cripple every cool thing about the phone just like they do every other phone that is sold through a phone company.
    4) i really couldn;t care less how much money who is making or losing just as long as i have a sweet phone..

    and i think the third party apps woulda still been screwed with the new firmware

    but like i said u do have some valid points.. but i am happy along with thousands of people out there with unlocked iphones ; >

    now can't we all just get along!! we share the same interests so yep :>

  8. #48
    Super Moderator dale1v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 394 Times in 268 Posts

    I wouldn't call it a fault of the unlockers that the third party apps have been taken away, just an inevitable consequence. I agree with the unlock, as I bought the phone with the assumption that I paid for a phone, not an expensive 2 year contract with a single network, sounds monopolistic in my opinion, I'm in the UK, and I'm not waiting until Nov 9th to pay 269 PLUS contract for a near half year old phone that faced stiff competition on entry to the market.
    The opportunity cost to apple would have been less if they had the phone open to >1 carrier from the beginning, rather than
    having to waste resources and time trying to fight the army of hackers. This will turn into a war just like the PSP, just on a larger scale.

  9. #49
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by yowiphone View Post
    YOUR WRONGIf you buy an iphone it's your property not apples and yet STEVE is playing stupid. Treating customers like crap.
    No dude, in fact you are wrong and must understand that YOU can't simply change your mind after being bound. You are legally bound to the contract. You can say it's not so, but guess what? It is so.

  10. #50
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I unlocked cause I wanted an iphone and was on t-mobile. Why should I have to cancel my t-mobile to go to AT&T....Just like everything else all the geniuses out there will have a fix..

  11. #51
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over your own ignorance, can you please stare into this picture and try that post again while reading my sig that has been there long before this thread was made?






    #1- Global acceptance is my number one priority. God knows I'll cut myself and make an emo blog if someone doesn't like me, heaven forbid.

    #2- I've been saying this all along. Is no one reading any other threads here?

    #3- No it's the users fault for not being able to take NO for an answer. Generally it's a personality flaw called stubbornness. (which I am known for, but when I am told before I spend the money it's my own damn fault).

    #4- No doubt, but it will not change the fact that the efforts to unlock only make more efforts to re-lock until they finally get it nailed down. It CAN happen and it will be the result of the efforts to unlock it. Whining is what the whiney arses are doing that bricked their phones into 1.1.1 today after they were told it would happen. Whining is buying a phone that says AT&T only and WHINING because it is only available for that carrier, much like you were doing in #3. Whining is hardly a discussion of the facts.

    People on here don't seem to distinguish the difference between modding and unlocking. When you mod you do it at the software level which is perfectly fine. When you unlock you do it at the deepest root of the chip that controls the entire system and it bones your setup. This is where I have a problem with it. What you need is to get a very big cup of coffee and sit down to read ALL of this: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8491

    Then you'll see why (a) this is a very stupid thing to do to your phone and (b) why the modding is not only cool, but safe! - however the unlocking is a ticking time bomb in your system that can cause "irreparable damage". It wasn't a threat by apple, it was a warning of truth.

    If PF can read that thread I linked and still fully support unlocking with the logistics described in how it destroys the hardware of the system, then I have underestimated how far one will go to "have it their way". Modding at the software level is not only a beautiful thing, it's healthy for the system in comparison to hardware re-writing. There is a massive difference. I love and support PF and this site and everything on it and about it except the self inflicted destruction of the hardware chip due to the operation of unlocking. Just read the thread linked.

    sorry, i dont usually pay attention to sigs. but if you are proudly running 1.0.2, then why the f^ck did you even make this thread? if you still have your hacks and mods, why even complain? what good does blaming unlockers for these updates do for you? absolutely nothing. you say that this deserved its own thread. how exactly? 90% of the users who have responded have disagreed with you. get over yourself, and stop being a douche.

  12. #52
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    OK, fine those who say it's their phone, it's their choice, I agree with you. However...

    When Apple goes out of business, and no one still has the iPhone, and there are no more updates, and there are no new versions, who is to blame? The unlockers are. I actually disagree with Apple's decision to lock it. They should of just released it unlocked in the first place. The iPhone is unlike most other GSM-locked phones because the carrier and maker have a partnership. Apple loses money everytime someone unlocks the iPhone. They gain a lot more money when we use AT&T. Now it's not that I'm an Apple zealot but I want new versions of the iPhone and of OS X for that matter.

  13. #53
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    i have att.. and i unlo ked the phone because i believe that it is my right to do whatever I want with my phone that I payed for.

    and np, apple will not go out of business cause of the unlocks... think of how much $$$ they will be making when the new mac os is released...actually... I'm sure the profit they made from iPod are exceed what they make off the iPhone and that stupid att contract
    and I have faith in the dev team, I'm sure someone will beat this update. but tip then 1.0.2 is good enough for me
    Last edited by ishtob; 09-28-2007 at 05:53 PM.

  14. #54
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,476
    Thanks
    569
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

    The DMCA specifically states that cell phone firmware that ties a phone to a specific wireless network is legal to alter in order to make it work with another carrier. That is the law. So there is nothing illegal about unlocking your iPhone to work with another carrier.

    Yes, Apple is MORE than welcome to say that it voids the warranty, because they have stated that the iPhone warranty is void if the device is used "in a manner not intended by Apple," which unlocking constitutes. BUT, they are are not within their rights to pursue legal recompense against someone who has unlocked their iPhone. Commercially unlocking is another issue, but this is not what we're discussing.

    Unlocking did not RUIN anything for anyone. When the iPhone was released, hackers and modders delved into the firmware as a challenge, a hobby, and a way to add functionality to a device which they already loved. Each update broke that functionality until the applications were updated. 1.1.1 relocks iPhones, which lets Apple tell ATT they ARE working on "the situation" and retain their business contract with AT&T (GASP! you mean Apple needs to make a PROFIT, poetic? They don't exist just to create beautiful goodies for us and push the market in design, usability, and features without any financial gain? That's crazy!).

    Give it a few days, maybe a week or so, and developers will have modded this firmware as well. Patience. It took a bit the first time, give them some time again.

    Apple still makes great products, and I still love em.
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  15. #55
    Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 201 Times in 181 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    ya, but you bought the phone, therefore accepted the terms of service under the apple warranty. So if you go beyond that, you aren't playing by the rules. Go buy a new car, modify it and destroy the engine within the same week and see how much they help you...same thing. If you use your phone outside of what it was intended for, as stated in the warranty, then don't whine and ***** when it bricks or gets locked again. Im actually surprised that apple and ATT haven't presented legal action against other carriers for allowing iphones to be used on their network. As for steve playing stupid, thats how apple has always played....every notice that you can't legally install their os on anything but a mac......? can't change your mac system hardware? this is nothing new, but they have a band of loyal followers that will pay through the nose for stuff that was designed to not be altered or improved upon without Apple's say so
    Well yeah your right about APPLE always playing stupid. But you got the Iphone with your own money thus meaning you have every right to do what ever you with with it. Yeah

    Its a shame that Apple has the best tech yet they have **** bussines plans.
    Last edited by yowiphone; 09-28-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

  16. #56
    Retired Moderator DoerrFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,291
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 461 Times in 229 Posts

    Thus far i haven't seen anyone blaming Apple for this.
    I'm just enjoying my nice paperweight while it is one, Im sure well have them up and running soon enough. In the mean time, i'll be catching up on some other hobbies while i wait.

  17. #57
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Gazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    The DMCA specifically states that cell phone firmware that ties a phone to a specific wireless network is legal to alter in order to make it work with another carrier. That is the law. So there is nothing illegal about unlocking your iPhone to work with another carrier.

    Yes, Apple is MORE than welcome to say that it voids the warranty, because they have stated that the iPhone warranty is void if the device is used "in a manner not intended by Apple," which unlocking constitutes. BUT, they are are not within their rights to pursue legal recompense against someone who has unlocked their iPhone. Commercially unlocking is another issue, but this is not what we're discussing.

    Unlocking did not RUIN anything for anyone. When the iPhone was released, hackers and modders delved into the firmware as a challenge, a hobby, and a way to add functionality to a device which they already loved. Each update broke that functionality until the applications were updated. 1.1.1 relocks iPhones, which lets Apple tell ATT they ARE working on "the situation" and retain their business contract with AT&T (GASP! you mean Apple needs to make a PROFIT, poetic? They don't exist just to create beautiful goodies for us and push the market in design, usability, and features without any financial gain? That's crazy!).

    Give it a few days, maybe a week or so, and developers will have modded this firmware as well. Patience. It took a bit the first time, give them some time again.

    Apple still makes great products, and I still love em.

    THIS
    The Cake Is A LIE!

  18. #58
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by afulinara View Post
    blah blah blah
    You still don't get it and probably never will. If the simple act of unlocking would be left out of the equation we would not have to go through all this BS because apple would not give a rats arse who put a barney screen saver on their phone. The concept is simple..... the unlockers are making the 3rd party modders who could care less about unlocking (which is the VAST majority mind you. Less than 15% of the phones are unlocked) do ten times the work just to put a stupid background on their phone.

    Yes, PF we will get it back unlocked for the masses and we will have to do this again shortly when apple locks it again because they are going to pursue this more aggressively than anything you've ever seen. The more it is unlocked, the more it will be locked until we get down to nothing. Total lock.... it can happen. Then we are all screwed because of the 15% that wanted to unlock. THAT is the point.

    Until the fix comes I just won't update, but we will need apple in the future for something, then what? This conversation IS relevant to the future.
    Last edited by one1; 09-28-2007 at 08:52 PM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

  19. #59
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,476
    Thanks
    569
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

    I honestly doubt it. Its unprecedented in mobile phone history, and not like Apple either. EVERY cell phone made has people who unlock it, thats the LAW. Not sure how Apple is legally skirting this issue. Either way, I don't think anyone is ruining anything. This is modding. Time will tell.
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  20. #60
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Sorry I feel this discussion deserves it's own thread. I support modding, but the unlocking has screwed this up for everyone.

    I don't point the finger in a mean way, but I do point the finger at the truth.

    Apple would have ignored phone modders completely if the service unlock wouldn't have taken people to different networks and put their contract with AT&T in jeopardy.

    You'd be sitting on your phone right now playing NES or blackjack, or customizing your themes just like people do on OS-X every day. Apple doesn't really care that much about your third party apps. Apple cares about those few third party apps that unlock the phone so the only way to stop the unlocking.......... kill ALL third parts apps.

    It's a case of "spoiling the whole bunch with a few unlockers". If the phones would not have been unlocked Apple would still be getting their cut of the cash from AT&T and no one would have heard a PEEP from Apple regarding third party apps.

    In regards to the US, if you didn't want AT&T service, don't buy an Iphone. For the UK and parts beyond... patience.... it was coming.

    Your efforts of unlocking this phone have made it where running third party apps, themes, and games takes an act of god to do now.

    Apple would have ignored this just like they do with OS-X on the full size systems.
    your so stupid, you can run all the third party apps you want to...
    it just takes common sense. and you can't blame unlocking on everyone, thats the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of......

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts