+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Not sure if iPhone 3G is unlocked :/

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm new to all of this, I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G with firmware 4.0.2 and I'm planning on downgrading since the lag is barely tolerable. Putting that aside, I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Not sure if iPhone 3G is unlocked :/
    I'm new to all of this, I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G with firmware 4.0.2 and I'm planning on downgrading since the lag is barely tolerable. Putting that aside, I installed ultrasnow and instead of saying reboot like I see it says on videos I've seen online, instead it says restart springboard. I look at my "settings>about" and my carrier still says at&t so I'm a bit skeptical whether it's unlocked or not. Also my status is still pending on Cydia for the tss, not sure if that would have something to do with it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

You dont have a SIM to insert and test the unlock out?

Also, TSS pending means either youve got SHSHs that will be saved or youve got no SHSHs going to be saved if you missed the 4.0 or 4.0.1 window. On a 3G downgrading to 3.1.x its irrelevant at this point.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not at the moment unfortunately.. but doesn't the fact that the carrier still says at&t matter? Apologies for the novice questions...

Thanks

May I ask why you need an unlock if youre on AT&T tho?

If its a US phone and you have AT&T then no, it isnt gonna help you determine if it is unlocked. The only surefire way to know if its properly unlocked is to use another SIM from like T-Mobile.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Its not activated, I received it from a friend. I had to restore it, so I got it on a blank slate. I don't currently have service to any company though, so I'm not sure why it says my carrier is at&t, I assumed that meant it wasn't unlocked. I'm hoping to unlock it so as to use it on a t-mobile pre-paid service

Thanks

Ah I see. Well the best thing for you to do is to just get a T-Mobile SIM and try it. Sorry but thats the only way to know for sure.

You have a 3G so any problems occur you can always restore and try try again as much as you need. Even 4.0.2 is jailbreakable on a 3G so you wont need to worry about accidentally upgrading. You can downgrade to 3.1.x all you want as well.

My best advice like Ive said is to get the SIM and test it. If it doesnt work, restore and jailbreak again and try the unlock again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

dannysxu (08-28-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you, for responding and for your help. haha I might be able to sleep a bit more soundly