+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g on tmobile with iphone 4

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
ok i have tmobile and i have three g turned on im getting 3g speeds but no 3g icon any ideas usa tmobile by the way
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3g on tmobile with iphone 4
    ok i have tmobile and i have three g turned on im getting 3g speeds but no 3g icon any ideas usa tmobile by the way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flipub View Post
    I don't think it is possible to receive 3g signal or speed on an iphone using T-mobile simcard. Tmobile has a different 3g band and therefore will not work on an iphone since it can only operate on AT&T 3g band. AT&T is using 1900 MHz for 3G and T-Mobile uses 1700 MHz.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well I have it on and did a speed test with it on and off and there is a diffrance

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Its not 3G. The iPhone does not have T-Mobile 3G frequency capability. Its a hardware thing. I dont know what youre getting but the iPhone is physically incapable of using T-Mobile 3G.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well tmobile is has launched a new hoss network that is active now and it runs new MHz it's for the g2 that's stoping in a month or so all I'm saying is with 3G on my Internet is faster and slower with it off

Hspa network not hoss
    Last edited by flipub; 08-21-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

iPhone 4 supported frequencies: 850, 900, 1900, and 2100 mhz.

TMobile frequencies: 1700/2100 mhz

iPhone 4 does not cover the 1700 mhz frequency so the 3G wont work.

No offense but its a fluke. Youre not getting 3G on T-Mobile USA. T-Mobile UK has supported frequencies for iP4, just not T-Mobile USA.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Call tmo there new hcpa 4g+ is half way working and will support the iPhone 4 I'm getting faster speeds when 3G is on I ran a test bouth ways all I was asking for was a edge to 3G app that works for ip4 there new net work runs 850 900 1900 and 2100 after talking to them I know what needs to be done to get full 3G and I will be doing this as soon as they drop the g2 it's a duped up 3G network they are calling 4g

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

That could be good news for the unlocked crowd.

Thanks

Hm, so lets say youre correct? How soon are we talking about? Thatll save me the trouble of switching to AT&T when I get my 4.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mine has been working also. It is faster with the 3g on but not as fast as 3g should be.

Quote Originally Posted by 06turbo View Post
    Mine has been working also. It is faster with the 3g on but not as fast as 3g should be.
    Just tested it again its not faster. Back to back speed tests and I will end up with the same results. Weird that you can even turn it on with the iphone 4. My 3gs would go to no service. I have had 3g on for two weeks with the new iphone.
    Last edited by 06turbo; 08-21-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    hmm. what APN's is everyone using

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mine is faster if I had a way to post a video I would not sure on a time frame but let's hope soon I will take a screen shot and send to anyone that wants to see 3G on with my ip4 I ran test and had a big difference between it being on and off not what 3G should be but still faster ... On another topic anyone know what to rename edge icon so I can change it on my 4 most of my theme does not show on my 4 and I want to start getting it back also pogo plank dock not working on ip4 any fixes

Well I'm finding epc.t-mobile.com to run spittle faster than ESP.voicestream.com

Now after going through some post what I'm gonna do is wait on the g2 to drop and tell tmobile I bought one off eBay and ask for that data plan and a g2sim at that point I should be able to get there new (4g) which is just a glorified 3G but it's 3G on tmobile and no it's not 1700 MHz thank you look it up

Any one know what to name the settings icon on iPhone 4 some of my icons in setting are staying but most don't show in the theme I built on my 3G on 3.1.3

Also face time on tmo with the fix in Cydia is real lagish I used the cleb repo got the app on phone opened the app put in my email and followed instructions then got my3g to try it it works but slow have not tried in wifi but wondering if anyone knows a better way

Wap.voicestream.com dn predic text
    Last edited by flipub; 08-22-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    thats all wrong if you have a higher number and you need a lower number that will cover it there you go iphone 4 is 1900 t mobile is 1700 that will work fa sho and if the 3g speeds are projecting as some people are calming then there is no dout that the 3g speeds are working sure its not showing the 3g icon but you do a bandwidth test and a speed test and tell me the deference ive used iphone 3g with a tracphone and and had data and full speed so for everyone saying that it wont work needs to rethink what they are typing anythings possible i bet you if someone was to write a driver for the iphone and configured it to work as a t mobile phone i bet you it will work

Thanks

I don't think that's how it works but ok. The frequencies are different, it isn't based on which number is larger or smaller.

T-Mobile states you need both the frequencies to run 3G on devices. They're specific about which frequencies.

I suppose all these people don't know what they're talking about...

Enable 3G on a iPhone on T-Mobile Network - T-Mobile Community

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ive read that fourm and this is the part i read i said if there was a program to have the iphone use the 1700 im sure its possible as there is software to change imei numbers and as downgrading baseband software now im not a programmer im only a networking engineer who gets lucky with hacking some code and moding it im sure it wont be an easy software to make for the iphone but for pc it would be possble

{quote} 07-15-2009 06:14 PM

still the contradiction (for t-mobile 3G)

a. you say you need both 1700 and 2100 for 3G, one for upload, one for download.

b. many 3 G phones used by t-mobile only have 1700, but not 2100 (as listed in the specs).

e.g. the specs for the Samsung SGH-T819, a t-mobile listed phone:

For 2G GSM 850/900/1800/1900

For 3G UMTS 1700

Notice for this phone, no UMTS 2100. Therefore, the information being spread that you need both the UMTS 1700 and the UMTS 2100 appears to be inaccurate (i.e. misinformation), since this phone is working at 3G only at UMTS 1700 listed in specs, without UMTS 2100 listed in the specs. There are many phones t-mobile uses that are listed at 3G, but only have UMTS at 1700 without 2100.

Can anyone explain the contradition? either the 1700 band is being used for both up and down loads, or one of the 2G bands is being used for either the upload or download. The latter would seem to me to be unlikely, because it would then not be a true 3G phone. But possible.

Thanks

Well you let us know when you've got 3G working on an iPhone for T-Mobile.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    wow i love the comment
    i said simply if a software was to be made as in a driver and i also stated that im not a programmer so i couldnt write one even to prove a point and i will let you know when i get 3g speeds on an iphone 4 if i was to ever get one and it be unlocked for t mobile use

Thanks

Not trying to be an @ss or anything. Just saying, sure it is plausible. If you ever figure it out, let us know.

I'm just saying it's not a software matter. I don't want to get into an in-depth discussion about this (again) bc this has already been said and done in multiple threads. It's a hardware incompatibility whether you want to agree with me or not. My point is, it's not a simple software fix or it would've been done already. Maybe the devs aren't smart enough to figure it out? I think we are entitled to our own opinions, so I'll agree to disagree with you. Just don't get too offended that I have an opinion. That's all.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by exgenmeikoj View Post
    ive read that fourm and this is the part i read i said if there was a program to have the iphone use the 1700 im sure its possible as there is software to change imei numbers and as downgrading baseband software now im not a programmer im only a networking engineer who gets lucky with hacking some code and moding it im sure it wont be an easy software to make for the iphone but for pc it would be possble

{quote} 07-15-2009 06:14 PM

still the contradiction (for t-mobile 3G)

a. you say you need both 1700 and 2100 for 3G, one for upload, one for download.

b. many 3 G phones used by t-mobile only have 1700, but not 2100 (as listed in the specs).

e.g. the specs for the Samsung SGH-T819, a t-mobile listed phone:

For 2G GSM 850/900/1800/1900

For 3G UMTS 1700

Notice for this phone, no UMTS 2100. Therefore, the information being spread that you need both the UMTS 1700 and the UMTS 2100 appears to be inaccurate (i.e. misinformation), since this phone is working at 3G only at UMTS 1700 listed in specs, without UMTS 2100 listed in the specs. There are many phones t-mobile uses that are listed at 3G, but only have UMTS at 1700 without 2100.

Can anyone explain the contradition? either the 1700 band is being used for both up and down loads, or one of the 2G bands is being used for either the upload or download. The latter would seem to me to be unlikely, because it would then not be a true 3G phone. But possible.
    I was under the impression that the device you are using will choose the band that it is capable of receiving, but does not need multiple bands to operate. Obviously if you only have the 1700mhz you might get stuck in some areas where 2100mhz is dominant So I think its possible for ip4 to run only on 2100 but you might not get consistent coverage(Im no expert so I can be completely wrong lol).
    Last edited by goonerm3; 02-16-2011 at 11:10 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What speed are u guys geting on T-Mobile EDGE? lyke can someone post their results with the SpeedTest.net App?

On my 3GS I used a page called mobilespeedtest.com trough a proxy, cuz i dont have data plan yet, and it says im getting arround 700KBps...
    I dint think thats right, since my friend iP4 is geting about 1MBps on ATT 3G.. 700Kbps its very close to it...
    Oh and the area its Greenville, SC and i have really good signal..