+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activate iPhone4 with prepaid AT&T sim ?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello all, Short question here: I have iPhone4 which is not activated. I also have AT&T prepaid plan (no contract) sim card. Is there any way to activate phone with
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Activate iPhone4 with prepaid AT&T sim ?
    Hello all,

Short question here:
    I have iPhone4 which is not activated. I also have AT&T prepaid plan (no contract) sim card. Is there any way to activate phone with that card. Assume that the iPhone and prepaid card (sim card) are from different accounts ?
    Thank you

Green Apple
    Thanks

plug it in.. and start up iTunes... see what happens it should activate it

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

please let me know if this worked for you by just plugging it in!? im in same boat, have prepaid account....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thank you,
    So now it worth to cut the prepaid sim card.
    Oppsss sorry forgot to ask - I am presently in Canada, will it activate from here ? We do not have AT&T here

Or should I just cross the border, activate and get back ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

oh shoot i forgot that it's a mini sim... maybee you can pick a sim cutter up off ebay? just a search on microsim brings up a ton of stuff..

Thanks

How to make your own MicroSim:

How to make your own iPad or iPhone 4 micro SIM | News | TechRadar UK

Here you go!
    Good luck!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thank you for the link.
    Will test it out and will let you know if it works

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i used a prepaid card (unactivated) to get past the activation screen in my 3Gs while in canada. (it worked fine, except for the "attempting to activate" message i would get until i unlocked it and slammed in my Rogers Sim. Then it activated authenticated and all worked.

I am not on ios4 (yet) due to being on the new bootrom... but it should work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did anyone end up trying this? I'm thinking I might do the same thing...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am in the same boat. I have a prepaid at&t account on my 3G. I bought an IPhone 4 and at&t told me that my prepaid account will not work with the IPhone 4. I don't believe them thought

I am not sure if it will work, but I am going to try cutting my prepaid sim card this evening and see if it works. I will post back results once I try it.

Brynden

Update:

I went out and bought another cheap prepaid phone, activated it and then proceeded to cut the sim. I put it in and I get a SIM FAILURE error. I might have messed up cutting it. I have a SIM that I cut that does work, but it is from a non-prepaid account. I am not sure what to make of this. I have another prepaid SIM in my 3G that I can try, but I don't really want to be without a phone if I mess it up.

I just got done cutting my last good sim. I used the one that worked as a template and took my time. I put it in...

and it worked!!! I now have an IPhone 4 that is working with my prepaid cut SIM. It is a good day.

Oh, and after I ran the unlock from:

Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone

I can surf the web from my IPhone 4.

Have fun!
    Last edited by brynden29; 06-27-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey brynden29, glad to hear that the at&t prepaid sim works on iphone 4.
    well, im worse than you. my situation is, the person who sold me this iphone 4 brought it from APPLE online and that i cant activate it unless i key in the person's billing zip code and last four digit of the SSN. So i went down to at&t and hoping they can help which of cos they told me they can't do anything if i have no account with at&t. and they told me the prepaid plan won't work on iphones. so im now stuck with the iphone 4 in the box and can't get it to activate.
    Can i check with you, the prepaid phone you've bought is from at&t also? and that did you ran the unlock from the Unlockit 1st then only you can get your iphone 4 activated or you got iphone 4 activated then you ran the unlockit?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This is all you need to do. First off, don't listen to the AT&T people, they are useless.

Go to Walgreens, or Best Buy, or somewhere and buy the cheapest AT&T Gophone they sell. Follow the instructions to activate the cheap phone that comes with it. Once it is activated and you have an account, take the SIM card out and cut it down to the right size for a micro-sim. (this is the part that is tricky) There are lots of sites out there that have "templates" for cutting your sim, just be sure that you do not cut it too close to the metal contacts on the sim.

Once you are done, put it in your IPhone, mine activated, and worked right away. You can test it by dialing *777# from your IPhone and you should get a message with your "balance".

Once you do that you should be good to go. I used the unlockit website because I paid for the data plan on my prepaid phone so I had to run that to get access to the internet through the AT&T network.

I hope this helps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey brynden,

will your technique work with a pre-paid SIM card cut down to the right size from a different carrier though? I am in Taiwan, and all their carriers are GSM. (I have an iPhone 4 locked)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stellarowl12 View Post
    hey brynden,

will your technique work with a pre-paid SIM card cut down to the right size from a different carrier though? I am in Taiwan, and all their carriers are GSM. (I have an iPhone 4 locked)
    I am by no means an expert, but I think you would have to have the IPhone 4 unlocked to work on another carrier. And I do not think there is an unlock for it... yet. I am sure there will be at some point.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@moonylove
    you cant bypass the activation screen if the iphone was order from apple. itune reads the imei and the apple server request for the zip code and the last four of the social of the person who place the order. the only way is to wait for a hacktivate. orders place with att wireless doesnt have the same security measure. any att sim working or not will be able to activate the iphone, you might have to do a restore first.
    Last edited by ibizafx; 07-14-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Dont know what 2 do :(
    Hey brynden29,

I got my iphone 4 I used to have an iphone 3g on prepaid i cut down my simcard with a sim cutter and did not work to make this short I have gotten a total of 6 simcards from at&t they scan them and put my tel # on it, I go home cut the sim and insert it to the iphone and nothing I get the same bar for 10 mins then "no service" the only thing I have not done is gone out to buy another gophone brand new and activate it as I first did with the 3g. Could u please help me!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I replied to your private message.

I would suggest getting a sim cutter to make sure it is cut correctly. Also, not sure if it matters, but my phone is jailbroken and unlocked.

Good luck,
    Brynden

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I also have a jailbroken iPhone 4 running with an AT&T gophone sim card. To use iTunes, jailbreak with redsn0w and set the phone on airplane mode before connecting.

Thanks

I can confirm that simply changing the go phone sim for a regular sim at AT&T worked for me on my unlocked 2g. I haven't tried it on my iPhone 4 yet though, but making sure it's not a go phone sim would probably be the first step?

I have a virgin AT&T microsim sitting at home, I'll eventually try to have my go phone line put onto that and see if it works