Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating an iPad 3G SIM without an iPad

Are these issues coming up after upgrading to iOS 4.2?

Unrelated.. this appears to be all about AT&T making sure the IMEI numbers are iPad IMEI numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebke14 View Post
    Unrelated.. this appears to be all about AT&T making sure the IMEI numbers are iPad IMEI numbers.
    @bluebke14: have you successfully upgraded to 4.2 without iPad SIM on iPhone issues?

Tried to get AT&T to reactivate over the phone, but they cannot. Just spent the last hour trying to work out a valid ipad imei... guess will go to apple store and get one from there to try

Quote Originally Posted by kakgungor View Post
    @bluebke14: have you successfully upgraded to 4.2 without iPad SIM on iPhone issues?
    I have not updated to 4.2, I am on 4.1. I did nothing to my iPhone for weeks, and the data just stopped working on Monday morning.

@tzephone, let me know how that works out. I wonder if it's possible to register 2 data plans to 1 IMEI... I was thinking about it too. If I don't get this working, I will have to switch back to my company blackberry, which I hate =(

Quote Originally Posted by littleyip View Post
    @tzephone, let me know how that works out. I wonder if it's possible to register 2 data plans to 1 IMEI... I was thinking about it too. If I don't get this working, I will have to switch back to my company blackberry, which I hate =(
    Yes, actually I ust did it the other night. Just copy the IMEI down from an iPad 3G, go to att.com/ipad. You'll have to put in the IMEI number and the ICCID (of the sim). Obviously they are still 2 seperate fees, but I can confirm it working.

Of course I just did this, so AT&T may have not had time to catch me yet. I don't know why they care, it's the same service and they're still getting money.

I just tried modifying my account on att/ipad to new IMEIs - tried 6 different ones with starting 01222 and none worked. Will have to go in store to verify

I used an IMEI from a store iPad and have my data back. Same e-mail account and everything. Safe for now...

Littleyip Good to hear; heading in shortly to try. Did you just use the imei from the store and modify your existing imei viat the att/ipad page?

Presuming that the store imeis are working as they are not being activated yet - the 6 I tried were certainly real ipad ones but didn't work

Who has demo 3g iPad's on display other than Apple Stores?

Quote Originally Posted by bluebke14 View Post
    Who has demo 3g iPad's on display other than Apple Stores?
    secondary retailers - bestbuy etc
    I dug up 6 separate IMEIs after spending a while trawling the net - but no worky

You go to register as if a new customer, use new IMEI and your ICCID, then it asks for e-mail and password, which can be the same you used to use. Then everything else is the same as all your prior information is already loaded. I tried an AT&T store and they didn't have iPads on display.

Quote Originally Posted by littleyip View Post
    You go to register as if a new customer, use new IMEI and your ICCID, then it asks for e-mail and password, which can be the same you used to use. Then everything else is the same as all your prior information is already loaded. I tried an AT&T store and they didn't have iPads on display.

OH NO!!!! - I just went in store - grabbed 4 IMEIs and then tried logging into att/ipad in store.
    * First tried to enter into my account then update the account info IMEI - Didn't work
    * Then thought I needed to cancel my account; and then start as new user. The problem now is that when I enter the IMEI and ICCD, then it goes to a username/pwd screen and my old login doesn't work!!!

Argh!!!!!!

I have a new iPad plan working on my iPod 3gs. I went a jotted down some IMEI numbers at the ATT store.

Deleted my old account completely.

I activated my new account using the original way stated in this thread using the ipad user agent and just plugging in an IMEI number and your CCID.

This time I just plugged in a ATT ipad 3g IMEI number instead of the Nokia Generated one.

Went through the same process building an account through the iPad interface via the ipad user agent in the Developer menu in safari.

Works great!

OK, it certainly appears that anyone without a valid IPAD IMEI number will be able to see their month of service out, however, you will not have your account renewed thereafter.

My advice is as follows:

1. Obtain a valid IPAD IMEI number - Apple stores, online pictures etc.. I have not tried generating one with a valid IPAD TAC but this may also work

2. Do what littleyip did above:
    a) Log into att.com/ipad, and click on "Add Data Now", then click on "Sign up for Service" as if you are a new customer - using the new IMEI and the ICCD attached to your sim

b) I tried the following 2 things which did NOT work for me:
    * Instead of Sign up for Service, I logged in and edited my account to the new IMEI - it wouldn't accept it
    * I then tried cancelling my account online, and then reactivating the cancelled sim by "Sign up for Service", this does NOT work - it appears that you CANNOT reactivate a sim after cancelling your account (bluebke14 above seems to have got this to work - but it did not for me)

3. If you have the same problems I had under 2.b) above; then the only other option is to get a new sim from ATT. I managed to get one free, and reactivated perfectly

Hope above helps

I can't believe they changed this. Oviously we now need a valid IMEI number for an iPad. Do any IPAD IMEI generator/tac sites exists. I have been using my iPhone for over 5 months without issue and love it and don't want to get rid of for $15 a month. Does anyone have another valid IMEI number they can PM me. The other problem is the SIM card. I though once the service is cancelled the sim becomes dead, atleast in my past experience. I was hoping we can just sign online and change/add the new IMEI number without having to cancel the account re-sign up. Please post your results. Regardless, it looks like there has been success atleast when using an iPad IMEI, but how long will that last? I mean I don't think they activate store iPAD's or sell them but if they do, does yours become invalidated?

Quote Originally Posted by spazticrecords View Post
    I can't believe they changed this. Oviously we now need a valid IMEI number for an iPad. Do any IPAD IMEI generator/tac sites exists. I have been using my iPhone for over 5 months without issue and love it and don't want to get rid of for $15 a month. Does anyone have another valid IMEI number they can PM me. The other problem is the SIM card. I though once the service is cancelled the sim becomes dead, atleast in my past experience. I was hoping we can just sign online and change/add the new IMEI number without having to cancel the account re-sign up. Please post your results. Regardless, it looks like there has been success atleast when using an iPad IMEI, but how long will that last? I mean I don't think they activate store iPAD's or sell them but if they do, does yours become invalidated?

Read my post above - answers ur questions at least in my experience

I've seen one comment saying it's fine but would like to see more for reassurance. Can you use one iPad IMEI to activate two or more different data plans?

My contract runs out this month with my old phone and was planning to buy an iPhone 4 to use as data only. I saw this months back and have been following it since. Pretty bummed right now seeing that ATT finally kinda caught on.

"bluebke14 above seems to have got this to work - but it did not for me"

I actaully used a new IMEI number (from an ATT demo IPad 3g) after deleting my old account. Not my previous Nokia generated IMEI number that I originally used.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast