+ Reply
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating an iPad 3G SIM without an iPad

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by Z0RrO How did you manage to change your IMEI from your account access page ? I used a different IMEI in the access URL to get to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z0RrO View Post
    How did you manage to change your IMEI from your account access page ?
    I used a different IMEI in the access URL to get to the page.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In other to determine if the IMEI is relevant in this process, we need to know if iPad owner can exchange their sim card and still be able to surf the web.

I explain myself. When you activate a sim card with your iPad, you activate your sim card and you give your IMEI. Lets say you have a friend that does the same process with his own iPad. Both of you can surf the web. Lets say you exchange your sim card with your friend ... I am wondering, will you be able to surf the web. If yes, then the carrier make no validation on the IMEI. If you cannot surf the web, then the carrier make validation on the IMEI on the account and the one actually surfing.

Even with this question, I think our problem is when we try to register with the carrier. On your iPhone, we you go (Settings->Carrier), there will be a list of the carrier.. If you select Rogers (in my case), it says : Restricted network

Because of this, I can't even register onto the network.

This is own problem I guess..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

From what I can tell they can swap all they want and judging by the previous comments in this thread that they say they got it working.

I just spoke with rogers and my SIM is fully activated and the account is live.. but they couldn't figure out why my "iPad" couldn't connect.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Then, if they can swap sim card ... uhm.. the IMEI should'nt be a factor. I will ask my friend's sim card on monday to try it on my iPhone. If it does not work, it got to be something with my iPhone...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is something on the phone.. it's almost like ultrasn0w isn't unlocking it properly. It's getting frustrating.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, my iPhone is with Fido and my girlfriend's iPhone is with Rogers. After unlocking my iPhone, I can use my gf's sim card.

The iPad data plan I'm trying to use is from Rogers but this one is not working on my iPhone neither on my gf's iPhone....

I am wondering if it would be easier to use Bell iPad data plan ...

Quote Originally Posted by shockwaver View Post
    I used a different IMEI in the access URL to get to the page.
    Just tried to access the page with no IMEI, no ICCID and I can access my Account page..

The IMEI is only for the activation process. Since I have entered a random IMEI, Rogers might be "restricting" the usage of the data plan to this IMEI.

This is why I wanna try my friend's sim card from his iPad....
    Last edited by Z0RrO; 08-07-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 and Rogers
    I purchased an unlocked iPhone 4 from the Apple Store in Canada. I was able to activate a Rogers micro-SIM via Safari on my Mac (I can even return to the website and view my account details, which currently say I have used 0 of my 5000MB) but when I put it in my phone I get "No Service" like the other users mention above.

Another interesting thing is that with the iPhone 4, even though it is unlocked, I have no way of editing my APN settings on the phone. I think this is a bit crazy since I am paying $800 for an "unlocked" phone! To change the APN settings, I have to use either Unlockit.co.nz or the iPhone Configuration Utility provided by Apple for enterprise users.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the phone recognize the activated SIM?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kakgungor View Post
    Another interesting thing is that with the iPhone 4, even though it is unlocked, I have no way of editing my APN settings on the phone. I think this is a bit crazy since I am paying $800 for an "unlocked" phone!
    OMG, I never think about APN setting for a "stock unlock" iPhone. You are perfectly right! You should definitely want the APN setting!

BTW, did you used your real IMEI during the activation process of the sim card ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OMG, I never think about APN setting for a "stock unlock" iPhone. You are perfectly right! You should definitely want the APN setting!

BTW, did you used your real IMEI during the activation process of the sim card ?
    No, I followed the instructions outlined in this thread about using the Nokia IMEI generator.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think this is our problem ... we are using a generated IMEI and when logging onto the system, the carrier try to match the current IMEI of the device and the one registered with the sim card which obviously does not work..

I went to a Telus booth to get information and the rep was able to activate the sim card without the IMEI of the device...

I think it would be easier with a different carrier such as Telus (Bell would be the same I guess) since they clearly does not care about the IMEI.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Have you tried creating a new account using your actual IMEI?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did it work after you did that? I'm screwed in MB because we only have Rogers.

The IMEI shouldn't matter because you can freely move the card between iPads - and I used the IMEI from the iPhone I'm trying this in originally.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh... so it should not be an issue with the IMEI...

As I said, Im gonna try with my friend sim card from his iPad. He has a working account so I will try it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Please share with us anything that you find.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Text Messaging?
    Whats goin on guys,
    I just recently got my iPhone 2G to work with a standard AT&T Sim Card through Google Chrome (if anyone wants details just ask and I'll post a more thorough explanation), but what I'm wondering is if any of you guys have gotten Text Messaging to work with the iPad data plan.
    I can't seem to send a message with the Messaging App.
    My MMS Setting in Cellular Data Network shows:
    Apn: Blank
    User: Blank
    PW: Blank
    MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32 (I've also tried wireless.cingular.com:80)
    MMS Max Message Size: 614400

Anyone have different settings that get Texts to work?

BTW: You can check your data plan usage with the iPhone! Download the User Agent Faker via Cydia, change it like you changed Google Chrome or Safari, then send yourself an email with the website (with the Imei & Iccid) and you're good to go!!
    Let me know if anyone figures out how to bookmark it or add to homescreen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've already tried all of that - nothing works. My phone isn't letting me downgrade to 3.1.3 (says the file is not valid for my phone) so I can't try that either.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

A lot of people (in this thread and other thread) seems to have problem with ultrasn0w...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Downgraded to 3.1.2, jailbroke, and installed ultrasn0w - still just have No Service.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Today, I have tried my iPad sim card into my friend iPad and yes, my sim card is actually working even tho I have activated the sim with a random Nokia IMEI.

I think the problem is one of the following:

1) the carrier is blocking the use of the data plan with a no IMEI iPad device
    2) the iPhone is no well desimlocked using ultrasn0w

Tomorrow, I will be using a iPhone 3.1.3 and I will give more feedback.

+ Reply
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast