Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating an iPad 3G SIM without an iPad

test it out and got it working on a new iphone sim using a 2g iphone IMEI. I have it up and running, but it's slow as hell on my 3G iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by BrutuSX View Post
    test it out and got it working on a new iphone sim using a 2g iphone IMEI. I have it up and running, but it's slow as hell on my 3G iphone.
    how did you get it to work???

followed the directions and used a valid IMEI from a device I own. It would have been better to use a microsim though, I'll have to cut this it to use it on an iPad.
    Last edited by BrutuSX; 06-05-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Default Imei
    Are there any problems using an iPhone IMEI that is already active with AT&T to activate the iPad service?

I keep getting "No Service"

How can I fix this?

iPad Data plan TOS says it is to be used explicitly in the iPad... so in theory ATT will have a problem with this.

If you use an already active iphone IMEI you run the risk of getting flagged by ATT. Hell if a non iPad IMEI comes up during a scan of all $30 unlimited data only contracts it will probably be flagged. Could it happen? sure. Will it happen? who knows.

I called ATT and asked about activating a plan "on an iPad" and replacing it in the future, I was told that the data plan is not linked permanently to the IMEI used to activate it, and in the future the subscriber can upgrade or downgrade to any other 3G iPad and keep the unlimited plan. But, we all know that ATT reps have no idea about what's going on so take it for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by BrutuSX View Post
    I called ATT and asked about activating a plan "on an iPad" and replacing it in the future, I was told that the data plan is not linked permanently to the IMEI used to activate it, and in the future the subscriber can upgrade or downgrade to any other 3G iPad and keep the unlimited plan. But, we all know that ATT reps have no idea about what's going on so take it for what it's worth.
    Well thats good to know

But I still dont understand why I am getting a "No Service" message at the top of the screen

have you logged into the website as an iPad to see the status of your plan? You said that you updated the APN, so I don't know what else might be wrong. I just followed the directions given. First time I used "0" for the IMEI then it gave me an error message (and I had to use a secondary email the next time I tried).

Use a valid IMEI
    Use an unactivated SIM (Tried to use a cancelled and it didn't work at all)

Sorry everyones having issues. I know when I signed up, I used the IMEI of my iPhone 2G, so maybe it really is limited to Apple devices. If that's the case, you can try generating a valid IMEI using a TAC from TAC Datenbank / TAC database just search for "Apple" (iPads sadly aren't listed yet)

As for how to generate a IMEI, just make up 6 digits and attach them to the end of the TAC you chose above. Then take that 14 digit number and enter it here: http://bavister.org/tools/genLuhn.php
    Now you have the last digit, making it a final 15 digits long.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i can confirm that you can only activate using an IMEI(at least for me) from an ipad, no issues with 3g service on my iphone now with the broadband apn... works great took under 5 minutes for me to get a notice to pwr on/off device with an accept button on the iphone and welcome text message from att.
    -DJ

Alright, I just canceled my service (I had only signed up for the $15 250MB service as a test and had already burned through most of it over the last two days) and started over from scratch. This time I used a Nokia IMEI from Imei Generator in Javascript
    and Everything worked fine; I'm posting this from my new unlimited 3G connection. Again, sorry this hasn't worked for most people; the only thing else I can think that migh be wrong is that credit card info isn't being accepted.

ok, I restored the iphone and finally got it to say AT&T 3G

but now it says I have no internet connection

I did the APN thing and rebooted my phone

still no internet

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i dont know if this helps you out but the two IMEI numbers i have start with
    and
    -DJ

I was able to sign up with a spare Sim card I had lying around.

My credit card has already been billed for the 29.99 plan.

However, when I take the sim card and put it in an old Edge (GSM) device I am not able to get online. I assume that is because it does not have the right APN or settings since the iPad has this built in.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Daniel Dumile
    are you using Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone ?

goto settings >> General >> Profile and erase all that you have in there

then just goto Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone, and select Custom APN where it says APN at the top i have Broadband nothing else filled out leave carrier blank create profile. install, reboot though i dont know if it is necessary.. and you should have internet?

do you have sbsettings? is Edge and 3G turnes on?

those are the only things i can think of on the phone that would give you problems.
    -DJ

DJClueless:

Thank you for helping.

I was trying to use the ipad sim on an old EDGE sony phone to see if it would connect to the net since I can't verify the Ipad sim until i get the ipad here.

I am able to log into the AT&T page to manage my data plan using the ipad simulator in the iPhone SDK and it shows that i have unlimited data plan.

I guess I have to wait until i get the iPad in.

Is the Sony unlocked?
    I've been able to use my SIM on 4 different phones and 2 different modems with the 'broadband' APN, though they're all unlocked.

Would being unlocked matter since the Sony is an ATT device too?

It is locked...

Maybe. Is there no way to change the APN setting?

Well there is, but I changed it and it didn't seem to connect.

I got a text message telling me it was activated, but the data doesn't seem to go thru.

ok, i had to delete the old medianet profile

its working now. just very very slow....

i suppose i should change the settings back to media net if i'm going to put my old (not ipad) sim card back in this phone.

Thank you for your help!!!
    Last edited by rhapsodyinblue; 06-05-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast