Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating an iPad 3G SIM without an iPad

I'm debating whether I should renew this ipad sim or switch to a prepaid voice plan with one of the various att MVNO.

I was trying to go cheap with the 250 mb but it ran low in like 15 days and now I get automated emails saying i'm running low. Voice over 3g I think eats up about 1 MB a minute I think even with decent codec. Not to mention just leaving the phone on all the time seems to rob you of chunks of idle data if you leave a phone app in the background.

I read on some other forums there is a way to register a sim for a 2G phone and get back the unlimited data plan for 30 bucks. Anyone have some experience with that or is it a dead end?

To my knowledge, $30 unlimited plan is no more. You can get $15/200mb or $25/2gb.

Visiting the USA from Australia soon and wanting to use for my unlocked iPhone 4.

I've ordered an at&t sim from amazon which I'll cut down using a sim cutter.

My question: anyone know if only US credit cards are accepted as payment? Or are there other payment methods? ( eg recharge voucher?)

Quote Originally Posted by nickster99 View Post
    My question: anyone know if only US credit cards are accepted as payment? Or are there other payment methods? ( eg recharge voucher?)
    I've used my Canadian AMEX, however you could always walk into a drugstore or grocery store and grab a prepaid Visa or Amex to use. Make sure to buy the non-rechargable kind that doesn't require registration.

Also - you already have your SIM, but any AT&T store or reseller will likely sell you one - just say you are out of country and looking to activate your iPad.

Anybody want to PM me an iPad imei, I can't find one anywhere

Wow, so I got Rogers data to work on my iPhone after making an iPad subscription, but that's where the problems start.

No Activation Email
    No Payment on my CC
    Rogers Assigned a Phone Number

Now I'm afraid to use the service in fear that I'll be charged an obscene amount. I can't help but think that the iPad's "Cellular Data" tab (which is supposed to hold account information) would resolve the confusion. Is there any way to get that tab or its contents without an iPad?

I've tried the My Rogers website, but it doesn't have an account tied to the email address I used to register.

To anyone else using an iPad data plan in an iPhone, does your "Phone" tab list a phone number?

Any help would be appreciated and if we discover this is good news, I'll share how it came to this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrqueue View Post
    Wow, so I got Rogers data to work on my iPhone after making an iPad subscription, but that's where the problems start.

No Activation Email
    No Payment on my CC
    Rogers Assigned a Phone Number

Now I'm afraid to use the service in fear that I'll be charged an obscene amount. I can't help but think that the iPad's "Cellular Data" tab (which is supposed to hold account information) would resolve the confusion. Is there any way to get that tab or its contents without an iPad?

I've tried the My Rogers website, but it doesn't have an account tied to the email address I used to register.

To anyone else using an iPad data plan in an iPhone, does your "Phone" tab list a phone number?

Any help would be appreciated and if we discover this is good news, I'll share how it came to this.
    Great, how did you get it to work?
    It seems to be normal that Rogers assigns a phone number even though it won't work.
    I just tried getting this to work yesterday and was able to activate the Rogers iPad microsim and after setting the APN on my iPhone I got 3G service but it seemed the connection was restricted, always got redirected to that page in Safari that says I have to buy a data pass. And now, don't know what happened, my phone went back to no service. I had signed up with the original iPhone IMEI + iPad preactivated sim from Rogers.

It seems like all I did differently was remove the SIM, reset all settings on the iPhone, then register the correct APN again, followed by a hard reset. I popped the SIM back in and voila.

Now, have you received the confirmation email or an invoice on your credit card? I really don't know what to do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrqueue View Post
    It seems like all I did differently was remove the SIM, reset all settings on the iPhone, then register the correct APN again, followed by a hard reset. I popped the SIM back in and voila.

Now, have you received the confirmation email or an invoice on your credit card? I really don't know what to do about that.
    I received a plan update successful email from Rogers. But when I called them to say my "iPad"plan wasn't working I found out my account/cc had been credited $15 instead of charged!
    Went through some troubleshooting with them and it still doesn't work.

Does the iPhone absolutely have to be unlocked? I was under the impression that if it's locked to Rogers this should work with a Rogers microsim.

So I have tried almost everything, spend hours with Rogers troubleshooting my "iPad" and still no luck. They suggested I try with a new sim card. I hope I can get this to work.

Default Ipad sim stopped working in iphone at&t
    nn

I registered a sim using a valid ipad imei on at&t, worked fine in iphone for a week, Now the sim is showing no service! Is at&t turning off ipad sims in iphones?
    Last edited by kevinsickles; 05-23-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsickles View Post
    I registered a sim using a valid ipad imei on at&t, worked fine in iphone for a week, Now the sim is showing no service! Is at&t turning off ipad sims in iphones?
    Any update on this or anyone else? My 3GS is off-contract now and I'd like to get an ATT iPad data plan on it.

Quote Originally Posted by brettmaxwell View Post
    Any update on this or anyone else? My 3GS is off-contract now and I'd like to get an ATT iPad data plan on it.
    This worked for me recently - however I only used the iPad data plan for 4 days. So I can't confirm if I would have been cancelled after a week like @kevinsickles

For reference the AT&T account management portal is: http://att.com/ipadlanding

Don't forget to cancel the account after you are done, otherwise it may auto-renew!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112