+ Reply
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating an iPad 3G SIM without an iPad

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by turbineseaplane Works fine. You have to login with a browser that lets you change your User Agent to "iPad". I use Firefox with the User Agent Switcher
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turbineseaplane View Post
    Works fine.
    You have to login with a browser that lets you change your User Agent to "iPad".

I use Firefox with the User Agent Switcher add-on.
    Works like a dream to logon and see/manage everything.
    tried using safari and changed to ipad useer agent and got the same thing, also tried atomic browser on iphone which lets you change user agent and same thing there. when i tried the forgot password it asked me to input the imei and iccid to verify for security so i did and got the same thing. perhaps my account and iccid have been flagged and checked to see i wasnt using an ipad? i still have data access though and my bank account have been charged 14.99 yesterday so i may only have one more month of service. if it doesnt renew i may have to start a brand new account with a new unactivated sim. once again just wondering if anyone else cant login to their account.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What would happen if you try sending a text or make a phone call with the iPad plan ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can't get my iPhone4 to work with my iPad sim
    I have a 3G iPad with an activate data plan.
    I purchased a new in box iPhone 4 today.
    Hacktivated and jailbroke it with GreenPois0n.app
    Changed the APN settings to "broadband" and put the iPad chip in.
    But having no luck connecting to the network.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Also if I ever do get this working, will I be able to use facetime. The option to turn it on doesn't even show up. It's under setting, the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_e_o View Post
    What would happen if you try sending a text or make a phone call with the iPad plan ?
    If try to make a phone call it attempt to go out then it tells you than this plan cannot make calls. The ipad sim is assigned a phone number although not sure what good it is for seem just for customer service verification. If you dial the number assigned it just rings and rings.

If try to send text with native text messenger the text seems to go nowhere. So for text I use google voice app by google. It seem to be sufficient for plain text message. For voice i'm undecided and i've been trying acrobits, isip, siphon, skype, whistle, netTalk, and recently talkatone. Talkatone seem unique in that it don't need sip account and only need your google voice number but app don't seem to polished at this stage.

@vic_doom69
    I signed up on the 9th and can check my account each day using atomic. Recently I learned you do not need to fake your user agent as att made a dedicated site for user to check their account at https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient. Dunno if other providers do the same thing.

Just wondering did you use a real ipad IMEI or a made up one? For me I used a real one and i do not swap the sim back and forth becuase i do not own an ipad. Hope att don't axe my plan too but I'll say if/when it happens.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stonercold View Post
    @vic_doom69
    I signed up on the 9th and can check my account each day using atomic. Recently I learned you do not need to fake your user agent as att made a dedicated site for user to check their account at https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient. Dunno if other providers do the same thing.

Just wondering did you use a real ipad IMEI or a made up one? For me I used a real one and i do not swap the sim back and forth becuase i do not own an ipad. Hope att don't axe my plan too but I'll say if/when it happens.
    yep thats the site i been going to and has been working fine until last night, and the day before that is when i had to change the imei to a real one that i have from the nokia generated one so that i could get my account to work again. cant log in at all now just get the error. also when i put in a wrong password on purpose it just told me that the email and password did not match. im guessing that my account has been flagged and because i was using the nokia generated imei and even though i changed to a real one when they check they can see that im still using the sim in a phone.

to answer another question up above yes you can use facetime with this data plan. just use the number that you get as your identifier. facetime also works with go phone sims. i dont know anyone with with a ip4 or a ipt4 so i put face-it3gs on my 3gs with prepaid sim in and used my ip4 with ipad plan and was able to make facetime calls to and from with both devices.

also i think textfree is the best free texting app as you get unlimited txt, your own number, and can make calls. can buy minutes or get them for free by installing free apps. can then delete the app afterwards.
    Last edited by vic_doom69; 12-11-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes textfree is a great app for free texting and cheap voice. You get texting and voice all under 1 number and it rings when u get a text for get called.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So i think the take home message from this is if a wrong imei was used previously and now you get a good one try not to associate it with the previous account.

I think you could have maybe taken your existing micro sim and sign up for a new account with a different email with the good imei. Although somehow you'd need to disable auto-charges to the old account which you say you cannot log into anymore. Prolly phone call them and tell them to not auto renew your old account.

I wonder since you changed the imei in the account if you need to reactivate or clear the settings or redo the apn or something on the device side of things. You tried anything like that?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When I try to log into the account management site now, it says "You cannot manage your non-iPad device at this site. I think this might mean they've really cracked down. Guess I'll have to leave AT&T and go back to blackberry land with Verizon. Sad, because it's a loss for me and AT&T. Dumb of them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@littleyip
    I guess I'm not the only one. what are the details of you account. did u use the same sim u were using with the nokia generator? did u use a new sim with and authentic iPad imei?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I used the same sim as I had been using with the nokia IMEI. I used the real IMEI and same sim this time. I'm kind of tired of being chased by AT&T for giving them business though. Verizon, here I come... if sadly and unwillingly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleyip View Post
    I used the same sim as I had been using with the nokia IMEI. I used the real IMEI and same sim this time. I'm kind of tired of being chased by AT&T for giving them business though. Verizon, here I come... if sadly and unwillingly.
    thats exactly what i did. i think i may give it one more try with brand new sim and real imei. if that gets canceled ill probably go the route of mifi with my iphone.
    Last edited by vic_doom69; 12-20-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is AT&T able to tell if we switched the sim card from an iPad to an iPhone? If so is it likely is it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

How likely*

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stonercold View Post
    So i think the take home message from this is if a wrong imei was used previously and now you get a good one try not to associate it with the previous account.

I think you could have maybe taken your existing micro sim and sign up for a new account with a different email with the good imei.
    I have an AT&T micro sim that I activated in August on an iPad data plan and successfully used it with my iPhone, using a Nokia IMEI.

Planning to sign up again next week for 1 month of service. I guess I have to sign up as a new account since it's been over 60 days, however I'm wondering if I should be using a Nokia generated IMEI, or if I should just activate the micro sim on an actual iPad that I will have access to.

I plan to use the micro sim in my iPhone, so I don't want the prepaid service to lock to the iPad IMEI - is that what AT&T is doing now?

Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleyip View Post
    When I try to log into the account management site now, it says "You cannot manage your non-iPad device at this site.
    Ditto. I originally set up the iPad plan on with a generated Nokia IMEI and changed it to a legit iPad IMEI during the first AT&T crackdown.

I wonder if anyone else has been locked out of the site in the same way, if they originally activated using a real iPad IMEI from the get-go.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post
    Ditto. I originally set up the iPad plan on with a generated Nokia IMEI and changed it to a legit iPad IMEI during the first AT&T crackdown.

I wonder if anyone else has been locked out of the site in the same way, if they originally activated using a real iPad IMEI from the get-go.
    I would really like to know this myself as that was going to be my next plan of attack. was considering buying an iPad too guess I may have to consider the 3G version now as well if I don't go the mifi route.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post

Curious if you'd be able to activate/use this microsim with a real iPad or if it is blacklisted since it was originally registered with a non-iPad IMEI.

Once registered (using an iPad), can the micro sim be moved to a different device (iPhone), or will it only work on the AT&T network with a specific (iPad) IMEI?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I believe the sim is fully blacklisted.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdparty View Post
    Curious if you'd be able to activate/use this microsim with a real iPad or if it is blacklisted since it was originally registered with a non-iPad IMEI.

Once registered (using an iPad), can the micro sim be moved to a different device (iPhone), or will it only work on the AT&T network with a specific (iPad) IMEI?
    I'm guessing that the blacklisting has something to do with the IMEI the SIM was originally registered with. While I wouldn't put it past AT&T to blacklist accounts of people who swap their iPad SIM into another device, it seems like they'd end up accomplishing nothing except having to replace lots of SIM cards. Also, having your account blacklisted simply blocks you from logging in and making your next month's payment - they don't shut your access down - so it's really just the annoyance of needing a new SIM and account.

I may try a new SIM card at some point, but since I use a HTC Incredible as my primary phone (the well-known mobile hotspot feature works flawlessly), I have no great need to pay for separate internet access on my iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So I was able to get my iPad SIM re-registered as new, likely because it's been over 60 days since I originally activated.

I did use a 3G iPad to register this time, but am using the microsim in an iPhone.

The unlockit.co.nz APN for AT&T didn't work; I had to create custom one (via unlockit.co.nz) with just "broadband" and no username or password.