+ Reply
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating an iPad 3G SIM without an iPad

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I think what tzephone was referring to was that after cancelling your account, your SIM worked the second time around. After reading on here and searching around it seems that
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think what tzephone was referring to was that after cancelling your account, your SIM worked the second time around.

After reading on here and searching around it seems that common knowledge would be that once you cancel your sim you'll need a new sim for a second account. So your situation is interesting. Personally, I have no practical experience with this stuff yet, so I'm just reading this and deciding if this is the route I still want to go.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Def, annoying they updated the system to actually check all including and previous IMEI numbers to confirm they are in fact an iPad. I actually thought once you cancel the account they ICID number from the sim is dead. I went to Apple store today and got an IMEI number off demo unit. I cancelled my account and re-signed up as a new customer (all same info, etc and tried the previous sim) and to much delight surprise it worked. I was able to re-activate and good to go!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Glad to here the demo numbers are working. Just came back from the apple store with a new iphone and 4 different imei ipad numbers. All I need now is the sim which I'll be getting tomorrow or day after. hope all goes well and lasts at least half a year or so til the next round of products come out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default best buy
    went to best buy to check demo ipads. the about page had been modified and no imei info was present. any ideas? i sure do need an imei. thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Re: Best Buy:

It was probably a Wi-Fi only model (which has no IMEI).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ah ha! im sure. wonder if the apple store have 3g versions? shux. thanks for the help.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey I just wanted to thank everyone for all the good info in this thread. I am new to this whole thing. I only jail break on 3GS with limera1n 4.1 os recently. Since then my phone has been without any plan and is glorified itouch.

I followed all the instructions in this thread and these method are still working to get a cheap data only plan for an iphone.

In summary since the thread was started a while back i will put in some points.

1.You can still go to att store and just ask for micro sim replacement and they give you no questions asked for 15 bucks, so you don't need to order and you can get it right away.

2.If you have something other than an iphone 4 then if the micro sim is not notched for both micro and mini use then you will have to cut out your own little micro sim to mini adapter from the card the sim sits on. It's not hard just pencil, and sharpe scissors. No tape or other crap required. Just pointing it out.

3.The links on the first page still work. Well at least the att one does.

4.You most likely need to put in a real IMEI at this time. Putting in zeros and other random junk or generated crap didn't seem to help me. But that's just me. I went to a store and screen cap the IMEI and claim that IMEI for my biddings.

5.You definetly don't need a ipad to activate the micro sim. You can do it with google chrome with the links in this thread. Also once your account is activated I find Atomic Browser on the iphone a capable solution to checking up on your account on the go. Atomic lets you easily choose ipad browser as your type and then you can get to all the various parts of the account screen fairly easily.

6. 15 bucks for 250 mb data no contract is not too bad I supppose but if you are using it for sip client or skype or some other voice supplement you will need to carefully manage what you do when not on wifi.

Well there you have it this thread still rocks I think. I was going to do that whole 4.2.1 ipad baseband thing before i saw this thread and decided to go this route and wait and see for a kinder unlock.

So thanks again to all who shared their efforts.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stonercold View Post

6. 15 bucks for 250 mb data no contract is not too bad I supppose

Well there you have it this thread still rocks I think. I was going to do that whole 4.2.1 ipad baseband thing before i saw this thread and decided to go this route and wait and see for a kinder unlock.

So thanks again to all who shared their efforts.
    Can you use the 2gb plan on the iPhone ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_e_o View Post
    Can you use the 2gb plan on the iPhone ?
    Yes you can use the 2 gigabyte plan for 25 bucks straight and not bother with the 250MB.

You can can even swap between the two plans, you can start with 250MB and determine if it is not for you then via the web browser you can go to your account and swap to 2GB plan and it will be effective after your current plan runs out.

From what I can tell the 250 mb plan isn't going to work for anything but as a convenience, as it probably won't last you a month. You'd have to use wifi most times and only dip into the 250 mb when you have no choice. The 2GB plan seem more reasonable but even depending on it as your own phone calling option is a bit risky in that it may run out.

I think the real deal of this thread was when the plan was unlimited $30 per month. But that is no longer an option it seems.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

just wanted to thank all who posted the fix for the imei problem and confirm that it worked for me. took me a while to find this thread and i had started one of my own and the only replies i got was its illegal by about 5 people, then the thread was closed. just wondering what is illegal about it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I guess it is questionable because the terms of service when you order/activate the micro sim says you can only use it in an ipad. And that is not what we are doing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stonercold For This Useful Post:

vic_doom69 (12-09-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vic_doom69 View Post
    just wanted to thank all who posted the fix for the imei problem and confirm that it worked for me. took me a while to find this thread and i had started one of my own and the only replies i got was its illegal by about 5 people, then the thread was closed. just wondering what is illegal about it?
    Well I even called AT&T and asked for a data plan only, for the iPhone. She said no because all phones are required to have voice. Then she suggested I get an iPad. Then I asked if I took the sim out of an iPad and put it in an iPhone. And she said it wouldn't work. Then I asked if I could try and she said I could but that it wasn't going to work.

But as we all know it will work if you change your APN to "Broadband"

Green Apple
    Thanks

I also have a question. In order to use this plan on the iPhone, does it have to be an iPad sim? Or can it just be a new inactivated sim card? Because at&t can give me a iPhone for free.

Green Apple
    Thanks

* an iPhone sim for free that is

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_e_o View Post
    I also have a question. In order to use this plan on the iPhone, does it have to be an iPad sim? Or can it just be a new inactivated sim card? Because at&t can give me a iPhone for free.
    I don't think there is such a thing as an iPad sim. just a sim and a micro sim. the iPad and iPhone 4 using the micro. I'm pretty sure any unactivated sim will work. I'm using a full sized sim in my iPhone 4 that I cut down to micro size with sissors.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure any unactivated sim will work.
    Hmm in my haste I didn't think to try it. I forgot I have original iphone 3gs unactive sim. Since I was hactivated I had stored it in a box and forgot about it. So you think I could have activated it back as a data only with an ipad IMEI via that website link? Coulda saved my self some bucks oh well. Or you think it have to be a never been used before sim?

@Matt_e_o if you try this method let us know what the outcome is. Hopefully it is not prison, JK

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stonercold View Post
    Hmm in my haste I didn't think to try it. I forgot I have original iphone 3gs unactive sim.
    Im pretty sure it has to be a band new sim, that has NEVER been ativated. because i got my iphone off criagslist and i came with a used sim so it wont work with this, so i have to go to the store to get a new one

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

att nay already be onto this as I can't login to my account on att website. I still have data service but I get the error "Login Information
    You cannot manage your non-iPad device at this site." anyone else having this problem?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

att nay already be onto this as I can't login to my account on att website. I still have data service but I get the error "Login Information
    You cannot manage your non-iPad device at this site." anyone else having this problem?
    Works fine.
    You have to login with a browser that lets you change your User Agent to "iPad".

I use Firefox with the User Agent Switcher add-on.
    Works like a dream to logon and see/manage everything.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I got it woking! yay!