+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BRICKED iphone 3gs

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Yes, I do know how to use this tool, i read a lot about them earlier today as well as talked to someone about them. I successfully upgraded my iPhone
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yes, I do know how to use this tool, i read a lot about them earlier today as well as talked to someone about them. I successfully upgraded my iPhone 4 from 4.1 to 4.3.2 preserving my 01.59.00 baseband, so that was neat.

Anyhow, I since this iPhone 3GS is stuck in bricked mode, it is only showing "connect to itunes" so when I am attempting to enter into into DFU mode for PwnageTool it is failing... Any advice on how to get past this stage with my iPhone how it is?

Thanks

Can you shut the phone off first? If not then hold power+home til it shuts off then keep holding power+home for 10 seconds, release power continue holding home for another 15 seconds. That should get you to dfu.

Thanks

I cannot shut off the phone, and this method of DFU is not working, it's already in recovery mode so on restart instead of entering into DFU it short cuts the process and goes rite to recovery ;X

Thanks

All I can say is keep trying. I've done this on a 3G and 4 but never a 3GS, But it should work. It's hard to time without it being off to start with. When you hard restart the phone try immediately releasing all buttons when it goes black does it stay off?

Thanks

that's the one thing i CANNOT get it to do is STAY off... the damn thing. i've tried maybe like 40 times now (not even kidding)

Thanks

Is it plugged into a computer? If so unplug it and try again to get it to stay off.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scmed27 View Post
    that's the one thing i CANNOT get it to do is STAY off... the damn thing. i've tried maybe like 40 times now (not even kidding)
    Yikes. Just hold down the power button and the home button for 10 seconds. You'll see the usual abrupt change to black screen. Let go of the power button after 10 seconds while still holding on to the home button until you get into DFU mode. I can usually tell from my PC because I'll hear it being connected. So it's:

Power + home (10s) > Release power and continue holding home (~45 seconds or when iTunes pops up for recovery)

Don't follow what A3Gowner said. What that does is it just restarts your phone.

Thanks

well if the iPhone is unplugged, i can get it to power off and stay off, but still it does not enter DFU mode through PwnageTool this way

Quote Originally Posted by douflag View Post
    Power + home (10s) > Release power and continue holding home (~45 seconds or when iTunes pops up for recovery)
    The problem is it pops into recovery on itunes rite away, like really fast... that's what causing the DFU to fail every time even when I do exactly what your saying
    Last edited by Scmed27; 04-29-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You said the exact something I did. So whatever. See it takes 6~10 seconds for it to shutdown using power+home. I've found you need 10 sec of holding power+home after the phone turns on. Which is why I think redsn0w and etc want you to shut your phone off completely before entering dfu. It's way harder to time if you don't start with the phone off. Otherwise they'd just have you hold power+home for 10 seconds then home for 10 from a powered on state. Right? So essentially he's just gotta get the timing right.

Edit: if you can get it to stay off then you need to do the following when it's off

Hold power 3 sec.

WITHOUT releasing power press hold home 10 seconds.

Release power keep holding home 15 seconds.

Release home plug into computer. Phone should stay black and iTunes will say it found a phone in recovery mode. You are in dfu.

Thanks

maybe I should explain this:

when it's plugged in and I hold down the power button (i've tried it for up to 45 seconds) the iphone stays off until I release then turns back on a few seconds later.

When it's "off" (blank screen) and I hold both home + power it takes about 8 seconds until the apple logo shows up, then 2 seconds from when the apple logo shows up it then shows the USB + iTunes recovery logo...

WHen it's "in recovery mode" and I hold both home + power it takes about 5 seconds to turn off, then is blank for about 15-18 seconds then apple logo appears for 2 seconds and back into recovery

both ways create impossible to enter DFU mode with pwnagetool

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    if you can get it to stay off then you need to do the following when it's off

Hold power 3 sec.

WITHOUT releasing power press hold home 10 seconds.

Release power keep holding home 15 seconds.

Release home plug into computer. Phone should stay black and iTunes will say it found a phone in recovery mode. You are in dfu.
    So I did this, and it did stay black, but as soon as I plug in, the apple logo appears and then its in recovery mode... then I run DFU mode on PwnageTool and it "failed".

by the way thanks for trying to help me appreciate it very much.
    Last edited by Scmed27; 04-29-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Ok I've got a 3G in my hands in recovery loop (same as you). This is how I get it into dfu: phones on and hooked to iTunes.

Close iTunes
    Hold power+home, I start my 10 count when the apple logo appears. After 10 count release power continue holding home roughly 10-15 seconds. Phone goes black iTunes (on computer) opens and says iPhone found in recovery mode. Dfu everytime so idk know what to say.

Edit: just hold home til iTunes sees it and screen is black.

Thanks

The problem is I can't make the 10 count with apple logo, apple logo will only stay MAX 2 seconds then BAM it's straight into recovery mode. maybe it's a hardware issue with the phone

Thanks

One last thing have you tried ireb or tiny umbrella to kick out of recovery mode? If not it's worth a shot. If you need help with those apps too just ask.

Thanks

i have tried tiny umbrella a few times, but ireb is not something i am able to try as I am mac based... do you think ireb would help? I could bring this to a friends house and install if it would make that much of a difference, (if you think anyhow)

Thanks

No I believe they work the same. The only other thing that I can think of for Mac is irecovery seems to work to fix error 29 in iTunes but can't say for sure. As I've never used it or had the issue you are.

Thanks

I may just throw it on ebay and call it a loss! thanks for your help

Thanks

Check your pm's.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12