+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Warning to unlocked iPhone users, be very careful!

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am also using an unlocked iPhone and I realized something that we should all be careful of. When I had AT&T, I was constantly downloading third party apps and
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Exclamation Warning to unlocked iPhone users, be very careful!
    I am also using an unlocked iPhone and I realized something that we should all be careful of.

When I had AT&T, I was constantly downloading third party apps and checking them out. Every once in a while one of the apps would brick my phone and I would have to do a restore in iTunes.

Now I'm on T-Mobile and it's the same game, I install third party apps that sometimes brick my phone, and I had to restore last night. But this time around I noticed that when you restore in iTunes it FORCES an update. Do you know what this means? When the new update comes out, and you brick your phone playing with third party apps and then try and restore, it will force the new update into your phone, which is almost guaranteed to permanently brick your phone according to threats from Apple.

So the warning isbe very careful with third party apps that could possibly brick your phone because as soon as the new update comes out, you will not be able to restore until the hackers hack the new update, which could take who knows how long. I would play it very safe until a hack to the new update for unlocked phones is released.

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

its called shift&click son

Green Apple
    Thanks

And what does that do

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,224 Posts

Shift + Click restore (or Option + Click restore on a Mac) allows you to choose the firmware file you would like to restore with.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

wildonrio (09-27-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yea, shift and click on windows, alt and click on a mac. Stop trying to scared ppl, if you're scared to restore, stop installing application onto your phone...geez

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by romeo0119 View Post
    Yea, shift and click on windows, alt and click on a mac. Stop trying to scared ppl, if you're scared to restore, stop installing application onto your phone...geez
    I was actually trying to be helpful, not cynical.

iPhone? More like MyPhone StrictlyBusiness's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it still possible to for I tunes to force that update if you disconnect your computer from the internet? is the update already installed on your computer?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StrictlyBusiness View Post
    Is it still possible to for I tunes to force that update if you disconnect your computer from the internet? is the update already installed on your computer?
    From what I know and based on other programs, they usually download the update from the company site. If you can keep the internet off, Itunes can't look for an update on the company site and shouldn't force you to update. Itunes does ask to update anyways.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default kill my iPhone
    I had an unlocked phone with key lock. I accidentally upgraded to 1.1.1 and now I can't even get to the point where I can put in my key lock code. Hence the USB port is useless. I can access the phone via IP (wireless) but one of the apps are there. So, that's no good. Any suggestions?

What's Jailbreak? stevenisHAUNTED's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thasan View Post
    I had an unlocked phone with key lock. I accidentally upgraded to 1.1.1 and now I can't even get to the point where I can put in my key lock code. Hence the USB port is useless. I can access the phone via IP (wireless) but one of the apps are there. So, that's no good. Any suggestions?
    if you downgrade 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 you get the iphone back kinda...cept you can not access the phone part of it :/ just the ipod/apps/wifi/safari and the rest.

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjgsxr883 View Post
    its called shift&click son
    lol I was going to say the samething
     Think Different

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My dilemma is that I've got an unlocked iPhone - fully running on T-Mobile with apps also installed - when I am in iTunes summary it tells me I'm running firmware 1.0.1. So somehow I was able to do the unlock process with 1.0.1 rather than 1.0.2 (which I thought I had)

My question is -- how do I update to 1.0.2, and will it re-lock - forcing me to do the unlock process again?

Any suggestions?

Green Apple
    Thanks

if ur phone is still locked to ATT u can upgrade and downgrade with everything working including the phone protion.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's not locked to AT&T - it's unlocked, running on T-Mobile with firmware 1.0.1 and I want to update to 1.0.2.

Possible without breaking it?