+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 3G microsim in iPhone 3Gs? $30/mo iphone?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
With the release of AT&T's data plan for the iPad, they set a precedent of a cheap $30/mo data-only plan. For those with an unlocked iphone and a ipad 3g,
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPad 3G microsim in iPhone 3Gs? $30/mo iphone?
    With the release of AT&T's data plan for the iPad, they set a precedent of a cheap $30/mo data-only plan. For those with an unlocked iphone and a ipad 3g, is it possible to use your ipad sim in the iPhone? I realize, of course, you can't make calls, but that's what skype is for. G-Voice for texting

Any problems with micro-sim or sim compatibility? Couldn't one make a micro sim ==> sim adapter? Thanks! I'm contemplating buying an iPad sim on ebay (maybe, if it's possible) or just paying extra and getting an iPad 3G.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is exactly what i came to the site looking to find out, anyone test this out? Would you even need to buy an iPad for this or could I theoretically just go to the att store and ask them for a sim that is setup w/ ipad service?

Thanks

Default Yes I need to know the answer too!!!
    I just bought an iPad 3G and im planning to use the ipad's micro sim in my iphone and just use the data plan! are there settings to adjust in the iphone to make the ipad 3g's data plan work on the iphone 3gs like APN settings? last night i tried to put the microsim in my iphone (using scotch tape) and the iphone recognized the microsim with AT&T and full signal bars with 3G logo, but when i used Safari or Maps, theres a pop up that says "You are not subscribed to a cellular data network" or something like that. i was wondering maybe i need to edit the APN settings on the iPhone? Where can i find the APN settings? my iphone 3gs is jailbroken so i can access root files via SSH. Any one else tried this? please let us know! i can sell my ipad and just use the microsim in my iphone to use the unlimited data!

P.S. the microsim was already activated wit 250MB of data on the ipad prior to putting the microsim on the iphone. so maybe a change in the APN settings would work? how to modify? thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm wondering about this too.

jphilips, you'll need to buy/borrow an iPad to get the plan running. It's all setup via iPad's Settings app.

You'll have to enable APN editing (I think there's still a package in Cydia to do this), edit the carrier.plst file in the carrier bundle, or use unlockit.nz or benm.at mobileconfigs to do modifications to the APN...

Once you get that done, then you could try using the APNs wap.cingular and isp.cingular to see if either work. If not, then AT&T must be using another APN for iPad only, and I wouldn't be surprised about this being true...

I've already asked StealthBravo if he might know. I'm not sure if the carrier bundles were available on the wifi-only iPad's firmware (which can be decrypted and examined if you have the know-how), but they could be if both the 3G+WiFi and WiFi-only models use the same firmware files...

Quote Originally Posted by vincentpjimenez View Post
    i was wondering maybe i need to edit the APN settings on the iPhone? Where can i find the APN settings? my iphone 3gs is jailbroken so i can access root files via SSH. Any one else tried this? please let us know! i can sell my ipad and just use the microsim in my iphone to use the unlimited data!

P.S. the microsim was already activated wit 250MB of data on the ipad prior to putting the microsim on the iphone. so maybe a change in the APN settings would work? how to modify? thanks!
    ADDENDUM to previous post: try setting the APN on the iPhone to 'broadband' (without the quotes) when the iPad SIM is in the iPhone. This is what the iPad has as a default APN setting when purchased and activated, and might be exactly what AT&T is using as the iPad plan APN.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 05-03-2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can anyone confirm that this works?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I ordered a couple of microsim to sim adapters from here

MicroSim Adapter 3FF mini-UICC Shop

They would allow you to switch your iphone sim to a microsim and use it for both ipad and iphone

For apn, the settings are here iPad Wi-Fi + 3G: About APN settings

The other option is get my-wi for your iphone and create your own hotspot for your ipad, then you wont need another sim
    Last edited by risestar; 05-03-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks

Where can I edit the APN settings on the iPhone? I know by default its hidden, my iPhone is jailbroken so I can access the system files. I tried to install APN Editing from Cydia but it wont install. So I guess I need to know where I can locate the file to enable editing APN settings.

I just need to use the iPad's microsim and its data plan on my iphone and im good to go. anyone had success doin this?

Let's say we've got the iPad's microsim to work in an iPhone and access the internet on the iPhone thru the iPad's data plan, is there a way to manage the data plan without the iPad, like an online website or customer service number?

Because obviously what will you need an iPad for if you can use its data plan on an iPhone, so I might return it or sell it on ebay. The problem is if ever i want to change something on the data plan, do i need to pop it in an ipad again and do the change on an ipad? is there a workaround for this?
    Last edited by vincentpjimenez; 05-04-2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Your iphone needs to be unlocked in addition to jailbroken to access apn

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by risestar View Post
    Your iphone needs to be unlocked in addition to jailbroken to access apn
    [How To] Enable GPRS/EDGE/APN Settings In Jailbroken iPhone 3GS

Thanks

You dont need to be jailbroken to edit APN settings. On your iPhone, goto help.benm.at and download a custom APN profile.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Would there be Any possible way to activate the iPad data plan without using an iPad?

Mainly because I dont know anyone with an iPad and im not planning on buying one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Dumile View Post
    Would there be Any possible way to activate the iPad data plan without using an iPad?

Mainly because I dont know anyone with an iPad and im not planning on buying one
    It doesn't sound like there is a way, at least not currently. It's all done via the iPad's settings app, and that app isn't very compatible with iPhone's Settings app (and vise versa).

AT&T CS doesn't even know much about it, other than a script to troubleshoot it (which basically takes you to AppleCare from what I can tell), so I doubt you'll get leeway on that end.

You might have to bite the bullet and buy one just long enough to get a SIM activated then return it (suffering a 10% restocking fee).
    Compare the cost to the USB sticks by Virgin Mobile, Verizon, etc. The initial cost is about the same after iPad return as buying one of those devices... might be worth taking the temporary hit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think you can pick up a replacement Micro Sim from AT&T stores. And if someone lives near an Apple Store, they could go activate the Sim using one of the demo 3G iPads, right?

Green Apple
    Thanks

So has anybody tried this yet?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    lol I'm trying to try it I need to find a way to activate the micro sim got a replacement one from ATT. Network shows up and everything but I cannot activate it. Hackers need to come up with a way to fake that script from ipad to talk to whatever serve and do it

I called ATT and they will not activate the sim data plan over the phone :/
    Last edited by jagster; 05-05-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jagster For This Useful Post:

ThePiz (05-05-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks Jagster. Try going to an Apple Store or Best Buy and activating your sim with one of the demo 3g models?!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    lol I don't know if they have a 3g model on demo though :/. Im probably just going to buy an ipad lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jagster View Post
    Hackers need to come up with a way to fake that script from ipad to talk to whatever serve and do it
    My gut tells me that won't happen until a common OS version is on both iPad and iPhone, which won't be the case until fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePiz View Post
    Try going to an Apple Store or Best Buy and activating your sim with one of the demo 3g models?!
    I doubt Apple or Best Buy has any 3G-capable models on display, if anything maybe the wifi only version. I could be wrong on that though...

The Apple Store nearest me has WiFi only models on display. Don't know about BestBuy though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vincentpjimenez View Post
    Where can I edit the APN settings on the iPhone? I know by default its hidden, my iPhone is jailbroken so I can access the system files. I tried to install APN Editing from Cydia but it wont install. So I guess I need to know where I can locate the file to enable editing APN settings.

I just need to use the iPad's microsim and its data plan on my iphone and im good to go. anyone had success doin this?

Let's say we've got the iPad's microsim to work in an iPhone and access the internet on the iPhone thru the iPad's data plan, is there a way to manage the data plan without the iPad, like an online website or customer service number?

Because obviously what will you need an iPad for if you can use its data plan on an iPhone, so I might return it or sell it on ebay. The problem is if ever i want to change something on the data plan, do i need to pop it in an ipad again and do the change on an ipad? is there a workaround for this?
    have you tried changing your APN settings yet? just wondering if you got this to work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The guy in this YouTube video got it working:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyDIFNWgeCY]YouTube - Micro Sim in iPhone[/ame]

He just used unlockit.co.nz for the APN settings.

I'm wondering if push notifications work as usual.

Also, since it is not on an official iPhone plan, the iPhone would need to be activated (so it's not on the "Connect to iTunes" screen) if I'm not mistaken.

I think this sums up the steps:

1. Get an iPad SIM
    2. Activate it though an iPad (use a friend's, use a demo iPad, buy and return, etc.)
    3. Buy a microSIM adapter (such as from here: http://microsim-shop.com/)
    4. Place the iPad microSIM + adapter in the activated iPhone
    4. Go to unlockit.co.nz to change APN to "broadband"

I suppose it is important to note then that none of this requires a jailbroken iPhone. However, I do suppose that one would need to jailbreak an iPhone that is stuck at the "Connect to iTunes" screen. Obviously, an iPhone at that screen must be jailbroken. The only other way to get around that is to buy an iPhone plan which obviously we don't want to do.

This would be an ideal setup with iPhone OS 4.0 with multitasking. That means VoIP apps can run in the background to receive calls over 3G. Apps like Fring, when used with Google Voice + Sipgate/Gizmo5 + Siposocery, would give free unlimited incoming and outgoing calls.

Also, one can use an app like Textnow in conjunction with Google Voice to get their text messages for free over the data network.

So, unlimited calling, unlimited data, and unlimited texts for just $30 per month. Awesome.
    Last edited by lionelhuts; 05-07-2010 at 12:55 PM.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast