Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 78 of 78

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPad 3G microsim in iPhone 3Gs? $30/mo iphone?

  1. #61
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    626
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 76 Times in 73 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lozion View Post
    Although this seems way too convoluted. We need a script to activate the plan from the iphone.
    That probably won't happen until 4.0 comes out, so all iDevices have the same frameworks. So not until fall. That's assuming someone can make something that is workable on the iPhone's variant of the OS.

    On the email I received when I activated the plan via a borrowed unit, it said one might be able to get the plan deactivated or modified on AT&T's site. I think it requires the web browser UserAgent to be 'from an iPad' for that to work... I have Safari spoofing the iPad's UAgent, but the site doesn't change... hmm...

    Anyway, this is starting to sound like something a iPad-3G owner could do to make some easy cash. Grab a lot of MicroSIMs and prepaid debit cards, activate the SIMs using the prepaid debit cards' info, and sell the package w/ instructions for a tidy profit. As long as the payment system accepts a prepaid debit card, it would be workable.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

  2. #62
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    626
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 76 Times in 73 Posts

    Default Now's the time...
    Well, the time is ticking now on this idea... new activations of the iPad data plan will become non-unlimited on June 7th. So if you're gonna try to pick yourself up some cheap unlimited prepaid data, then now's the time to try.

    I might actually look into buying up a bunch of [Micro]SIMs and doing the prepaid debit card--->activate plan---->sell on eBay/whathaveyou plan now. Anyone possibly interested in buying one of these 'kits'?

    I think at&t's changes to the iPad plan will klll iPad-3G's sales a tonload (so we might actually see some on shelves... LOL). Why pay for a AT&T 3G-capable unit (with a $25/2GB capped data plan) when someone could go buy a WiFi iPad, cheap 3G->WiFi router and a cheap T-Mobile WebConnect card and do unlimited for about the same cost?
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

  3. #63
    2GB?

    Not even worth it

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Well, the time is ticking now on this idea... new activations of the iPad data plan will become non-unlimited on June 7th. So if you're gonna try to pick yourself up some cheap unlimited prepaid data, then now's the time to try.

    I might actually look into buying up a bunch of [Micro]SIMs and doing the prepaid debit card--->activate plan---->sell on eBay/whathaveyou plan now. Anyone possibly interested in buying one of these 'kits'?

    I think at&t's changes to the iPad plan will klll iPad-3G's sales a tonload (so we might actually see some on shelves... LOL). Why pay for a AT&T 3G-capable unit (with a $25/2GB capped data plan) when someone could go buy a WiFi iPad, cheap 3G->WiFi router and a cheap T-Mobile WebConnect card and do unlimited for about the same cost?
    Yeah, that would be nice... After I read about this on gizmodo the other night, I was disappointed as hell. I went on AT&T website and got me a micro sim, but I knew it will arrive here after June 7 anyway.. So what the hell, I drove all over the city looking for an ipad+3g and a wasted lots of time because they were all out-of-stock.

    It would be nice if you can get one of those ipad plan on Ebay before June 7 for a deal of course and I'll thank you a bunch!

    [email protected]

  5. #65
    Activating an iPad 3G SIM without an iPad
    Here you go, guys. How to activate an iPad SIM from home for free.

  6. #66
    I just posted something in the AT&T forum about this
    Just wondering if anyone can answer some of the questions? Thanks!

    http://modmyi.com/forums/t/713056-ip...ml#post5275128

  7. #67
    bump for updates.

  8. #68
    has anyone had any luck with porting the iPad Configuration using the 4.0 GM?

  9. #69
    so whats new with this scheme?

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by lozion View Post
    so whats new with this scheme?
    It seems to work (configuring Sipdroid correctly with a VoIP carrier like Gizmo5 or Sipgate) in conjunction with sipsorcery.

    However, AT&T has gotten rid of the unlimited plan. I'm not sure just how long 2GB would last you.

    EDIT: If you're using an iPhone 4 (or iPhone 3GS with a microsim adapter) you can use the app Talkatone with Google Voice. However, this also uses the Google chat calling feature that Google implemented late last year. Google has only promised that this will be free through 2011.
    Last edited by lionelhuts; 02-08-2011 at 07:54 PM.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by lozion View Post
    so whats new with this scheme?
    It works, going solid for a long while now! Unlimited calling and texting with the GoogleVoice app and the Talkatone app that lets you call over gmail.

    Unlim everything doesn't have to cost more than $29.99

    Note: VOIP does not work smoothly in areas of less than at least three or four bars. Texting via GV works beautifully in all types of reception.

  12. #72
    sipdroid? sipsorcery? what this?

    I do use a sip client called acrobits softphone with my ISP though with great results.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by ruslan120 View Post
    It works, going solid for a long while now! Unlimited calling and texting with the GoogleVoice app and the Talkatone app that lets you call over gmail.

    Unlim everything doesn't have to cost more than $29.99

    Note: VOIP does not work smoothly in areas of less than at least three or four bars. Texting via GV works beautifully in all types of reception.
    Damn just beat me to the Talkatone suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by lozion View Post
    sipdroid? sipsorcery? what this?

    I do use a sip client called acrobits softphone with my ISP though with great results.
    Sorry about the sipdroid thing (for Android). When I got this email I thought it was from a different forum. I didn't notice the "modmyi". Please see my edited post for more iOS specific information.

    But if you want to learn more about sipdroid and sipsorcery:
    sipdroid - Project Hosting on SIP/VoIP client for Android
    SIP Sorcery - How It Works

  14. #74
    P.S. Account management is possible online (which earlier required an iPad, or a settings.app component import to the iPhone), now all you need for this is a temporary iPad in which to activate a sim, and you're good to go!

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by ruslan120 View Post
    P.S. Account management is possible online (which earlier required an iPad, or a settings.app component import to the iPhone), now all you need for this is a temporary iPad in which to activate a sim, and you're good to go!
    is this for AT&T only? I'm in Canada.

  16. #76
    I only know of this for AT&T, I'm not up to date on Canadian Cell providers at alll, sorry bud

    Now here's an idea:

    Bringing this iPad sim card into an AT&T store and asking them to transfer the plan onto a pre-paid sim card. Adding minutes and voila, a prepaid-data sim? Would this even be a remote possibility?
    Last edited by ruslan120; 02-08-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by ruslan120 View Post
    I only know of this for AT&T, I'm not up to date on Canadian Cell providers at alll, sorry bud

    Now here's an idea:

    Bringing this iPad sim card into an AT&T store and asking them to transfer the plan onto a pre-paid sim card. Adding minutes and voila, a prepaid-data sim? Would this even be a remote possibility?
    I have no experience with pre-paid SIMs. My guess though would be that once they see an iPad data plan on it they wouldn't let you.

  18. #78
    Whats the update on this subject?

    BTW, does anyone know how to hack a 3G USB stick SIM card to work in an iPhone?
    So far, I've used Apple's configuration utility to change the APN settings of an Orange SIM card and I can access the internet on the iPhone but cannot call or send SMS.
    Any tips?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •