Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 3G microsim in iPhone 3Gs? $30/mo iphone?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePiz View Post
    My experience with skype has been a little hit or miss. Don't have any other VOIP accounts to test. I've made skype calls from Europe and Central America through my VPN to the US using local carrier prepaid sims, and sometimes they're fine, sometimes there's a quite noticeable half-second to one second delay. More chance of delay if I call into my google voice account and then call out from there so that my google voice caller-ID shows up.

I think making calls with just a data plan is probably doable. The problem is receiving calls, and I don't yet know of a good system that can use Push notifications to tell you of an incoming call in enough time to open up Skype or a VOIP app in time to connect and receive the call.
    HEy you could try ICall.. they have push notification when u receive a call. its only 10$ a month and u get ur own number.. it seems really cool imma t ry it once i set up my micro sim.. i received my adapter today.. just waiting on my micro sim..

mamba, where'd you get your microsim adapter?

fyi.. i was browsing the att website and there is a link there where you can just order a 3g microsim directly from them. 15 bucks shipped

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...sku=sku4530230

awesome!
    Last edited by chetoc230; 05-11-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Chetoc230: I go it at microsim-shop.com
    it cost around 7bucks..
    It took like a week to get here...

I got my Micro Sim Card Adapter from Micro SIM Card 3FF 3G Adapter - eBay (item 220601937899 end time Jun-06-10 14:05:49 PDT) it was really inexpensive and there's fast shipping unlike the other place which is 7 euros (not dollars) which comes to around 12 US dollars.
    Last edited by zeze838; 05-11-2010 at 08:51 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hey guys I got a used micro sim card with with someone elses account ,is there a way to deactivate or reset the micro sim so I can reuse it?

Great information. I am not tech savy.

Would I have to re activate the micro sim card each time that I want service, assuming that i only need service every other month for example.

is this working for others as well.

will this work with an older iphone?

thanks

Default DATA only
    Hi,
    I've been using data only on my JB 3GS 3.1.3 for about a month now on Rogers network in Canada.
    Here's what I did:

-Bought a used 3GS
    -JB+Unlock (while on 3.1.2)
    -Took a monthly voice plan + 25$/m data plan on Rogers.
    -After a few months, called Rogers to cancel my monthly subscription due to... (invented a reason).
    -On the last day of service, I called them back to tell them I had just bought a Novatel Mifi 2372 (http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...iled=MIFI2372R)
    and wanted to use my iPhone SIM card in the Mifi. They readily accepted and offered my 2 months of unlimited data at 35$/m. to evaluate my needs with no activation fees.

-Popped the SIM back into the iPhone and voila. Data only on my 3GS!

-Using Acrobits Softphone (which supports push not and calls over 3G), Textplus for SMS,
    I do everything I need over 3G for 35$/m. for Data, 10$ for my SIP subscription (vif.com-Unlimited CAN/USA, voicemail, Call display) for a total of 45$ plus tax.

Now, Rogers just issued their data plans for the iPad and we'll get 5G for 35$/m which is quite decent considering the onerous charges for Canadian 3G plans so far: 30$/500mb, 35$/1G, 50$/2G, 65$/5G

What I need to do now is find a way to get the new iPad data plan on my iPhone and I'll get 5G instead of the 1G I will be having once my 2 months of evaluation are up.

Txs to Modmyi, I may have found the way.
    Future Rogers iPad users, keep us in the loop!
    Last edited by lozion; 05-12-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

How well do the push notifications run on acrobats softphone with your sip provider?

I tried using google voice with gizmo5 on siphon and by the time I get the push notification on an incoming call to pickup the person calling in has already hit voicemail.

Quote Originally Posted by chetoc230 View Post
    How well do the push notifications run on acrobats softphone with your sip provider?

I tried using google voice with gizmo5 on siphon and by the time I get the push notification on an incoming call to pickup the person calling in has already hit voicemail.
    Siphon (the Cydia App) supports Push now? Are you refering to iSip, formerly known as SipPhone?

To my knowledge, the only App that has decent Push service is Softphone although admitedly, it isnt perfect and I've missed a call or two before. On the other hand, their tech support is great and they are in contact with my SIP provider as we speak to try to determine a fix.
    They also support the 729a, a low bit rate codec over 3G for calls out of wifi range.

So, anyone used an iPad 3G over Rogers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by lozion View Post
    Siphon (the Cydia App) supports Push now? Are you refering to iSip, formerly known as SipPhone?

To my knowledge, the only App that has decent Push service is Softphone although admitedly, it isnt perfect and I've missed a call or two before. On the other hand, their tech support is great and they are in contact with my SIP provider as we speak to try to determine a fix.
    They also support the 729a, a low bit rate codec over 3G for calls out of wifi range.

So, anyone used an iPad 3G over Rogers yet?

i mixed up siphon with fring.. sorry.. meant to say fring..

i tried softphone with a friends iphone, push doesnt work well with gizmo5/google voice.

Well, all I need now is to use an iPad

None of the stores have a 3G model on display

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Dumile View Post
    Well, all I need now is to use an iPad

None of the stores have a 3G model on display
    Same here, bought an adapter on microsimshop and a microsim from AT&T, all I need is an iPad 3G. Anybody know if any bestbuys or apple stores on LI have iPad 3g's on display?

How can I activate the sim? The closet Apple Store to me is 5 hours away and the closets BestBuy is 2 hours away so how can i activate my sim?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3G Ipad plan and Softphone for Iphone
    I had the same idea of paying for AT&T 3G service and using a Voip on the iphone with working push notification.

I have been out of the country for 2 years, using sims pre paid 3G service in most countries. Was VERY disappointed when I came back and saw the expensive monthly plans $$ and Monopolies are still here in the US.

Please let us know if anyone gets the dataplan on the iphone..

thanks

Ok, so I bought a replacement micro-sim from AT&T for $15 and made an adapter out of the card it came in. Here was my process:

Drove to a local Best Buy, roamed around. They had no iPad 3G's on display, so I had to leave and drive another 20 mins to the nearest mall (Smithhaven). As I got there, I walked through a Macy's and started memorizing my credit card info to make for a speedy activation. I entered the semi-crowded Apple Store and there they were; iPads 3G and Wifi alike in all their glory across two tables. As an Apple Bouncer walked by me I nervously hid my microsim and paper clip in one hand and pretended to be playing a game in landscape mode. As he turned away I quickly popped out the tray with the paperclip and switched the cards, and popped it back in. From there it was easier, as I typed in all the info pretty quickly (albeit once an Apple story employee walked by me, glanced at the iPad and looked away (thank god)). After entering it there was another "bouncer" almost behind me, so was pretty nervous about this whole switcheroo. They looked away, and I nervously popped out my microsim after the notification "iPad data plan successfully activated" and put the stock back in. I'll post pics of the adapter I made, but after modifying the APN settings I'm glad to report a 100% functional iPad data plan in my iPhone!

Imageshack - photo1jk.jpg

Imageshack - photocpd.jpg

Imageshack - photo2x.jpg

Imageshack - photo3le.jpg

Forgot to mention, I used tape to attach the microsim from the back, it fits snugly into the adapter but I don't want to take any chances.

UPDATE: FREE TEXTING ON IPAD DATA PLAN

Install Aim Free, or the Premium Aim App

I'm assuming you don't want to run the "phone" app since we're on a data-only plan here, so

Install Backgrounder

Launch Backgrounder, go to "Overrides"

Add the "Aim" application, set background method as "backgrounder," and put both "enable at launch" and "stay enabled" as ON.

Go back to the "overrides" section and select the phone app.

Select background method as "Off." This way it doesn't run in the background and doesn't consume valuable system ram and cpu cycles.

Enjoy free texting using the Aim app! Just type in the number you want to text and it works!

Skype should also work with this method, although I'm waiting for iPhone OS 4.0 so that it's integrated a lot better.

*Forgot to mention, enable Push for the AIM app.
    Last edited by ruslan120; 05-16-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by ruslan120 View Post
    Ok, so I bought a replacement micro-sim from AT&T for $15 and made an adapter out of the card it came in. Here was my process:

Drove to a local Best Buy, roamed around. They had no iPad 3G's on display, so I had to leave and drive another 20 mins to the nearest mall (Smithhaven). As I got there, I walked through a Macy's and started memorizing my credit card info to make for a speedy activation. I entered the semi-crowded Apple Store and there they were; iPads 3G and Wifi alike in all their glory across two tables. As an Apple Bouncer walked by me I nervously hid my microsim and paper clip in one hand and pretended to be playing a game in landscape mode. As he turned away I quickly popped out the tray with the paperclip and switched the cards, and popped it back in. From there it was easier, as I typed in all the info pretty quickly (albeit once an Apple story employee walked by me, glanced at the iPad and looked away (thank god)). After entering it there was another "bouncer" almost behind me, so was pretty nervous about this whole switcheroo. They looked away, and I nervously popped out my microsim after the notification "iPad data plan successfully activated" and put the stock back in. I'll post pics of the adapter I made, but after modifying the APN settings I'm glad to report a 100% functional iPad data plan in my iPhone!

Imageshack - photo1jk.jpg

Imageshack - photocpd.jpg

Imageshack - photo2x.jpg

Imageshack - photo3le.jpg

Forgot to mention, I used tape to attach the microsim from the back, it fits snugly into the adapter but I don't want to take any chances.

UPDATE: FREE TEXTING ON IPAD DATA PLAN

Install Aim Free, or the Premium Aim App

I'm assuming you don't want to run the "phone" app since we're on a data-only plan here, so

Install Backgrounder

Launch Backgrounder, go to "Overrides"

Add the "Aim" application, set background method as "backgrounder," and put both "enable at launch" and "stay enabled" as ON.

Go back to the "overrides" section and select the phone app.

Select background method as "Off." This way it doesn't run in the background and doesn't consume valuable system ram and cpu cycles.

Enjoy free texting using the Aim app! Just type in the number you want to text and it works!

Skype should also work with this method, although I'm waiting for iPhone OS 4.0 so that it's integrated a lot better.

*Forgot to mention, enable Push for the AIM app.

Good job Ruslan!
    Although this seems way too convoluted. We need a script to activate the plan from the iphone.
    Soon come, I'm sure...
    Last edited by lozion; 05-17-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Someone needs to make a script to be able to pay for the iPad data plan through an iPhone

I would pay for it

I would pay for it to. I hope someone makes a script soon.

has anyone come up with anything yet

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast