+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 3G microsim in iPhone 3Gs? $30/mo iphone?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
there has to be a way to set up the payment plan without using an ipad
    Green Apple
    Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Dumile View Post
    I think the only way is through an iPhone app/script/code that spoofs the iPad. However, none such capability exists (yet) as far as I know.

I'm wondering though if you can delete your account data from the iPad (if it saves that information) so you can do this on a demo model at an Apple Store or Best Buy.

Green Apple
    Thanks

does the iPhone have to be unlocked for this to work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Dumile View Post
    does the iPhone have to be unlocked for this to work?
    I don't believe so as the iPhone still recognizes it as an AT&T SIM. So, I think you only need to be able to get the phone past the "Connect to iTunes"/Emergency screen.

Also, I went to the Apple Store yesterday and they have a lot of iPad 3Gs. There were so many people, no employees were watching
    anyone closely. I could very easily have placed my own microSIM in one and activated it with the display model.

On an unrelated note...
    I'm still stuck on the 2G iPhone, so the VoIP idea obviously won't work for me (outside of Wi-Fi). I suppose it won't really work for iPhone 3G users either as you will probably need to run a VoIP app in the background, and the iPhone 3G will not support multitasking from OS 4.0.

So, my plan is to get the new iPhone when it's released. Cost:
    $199 for the phone
    $70 for the first month service (AT&T requires 1 month)
    $175 early termination fee
    $18 activation fee

Total = $462

I would have had to buy the phone, activate it, and buy the first month anyway. So the only newly incurred cost is the $170 activation fee. I'll just cancel the plan and insert an iPad microSIM into the new iPhone which should also use a microSIM. Then, I'd just be paying $40 per month.

Two year (additional) cost with regular plan: ($70)(24) = $1680
    Two year (additional) cost with iPad microSIM: $175 + ($30)(24) = $895

So you're saving $785 over the life of the iPhone contract. Plus $40 per month thereafter.
    Last edited by lionelhuts; 05-08-2010 at 07:32 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

theres a thing call sim cloning, would sim cloning be able to make a exact duplicate of the sim?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post
    I don't believe so as the iPhone still recognizes it as an AT&T SIM. So, I think you only need to be able to get the phone past the "Connect to iTunes"/Emergency screen.

Also, I went to the Apple Store yesterday and they have a lot of iPad 3Gs. There were so many people, no employees were watching
    anyone closely. I could very easily have placed my own microSIM in one and activated it with the display model.

On an unrelated note...
    I'm still stuck on the 2G iPhone, so the VoIP idea obviously won't work for me (outside of Wi-Fi). I suppose it won't really work for iPhone 3G users either as you will probably need to run a VoIP app in the background, and the iPhone 3G will not support multitasking from OS 4.0.

So, my plan is to get the new iPhone when it's released. Cost:
    $199 for the phone
    $70 for the first month service (AT&T requires 1 month)
    $175 early termination fee
    $18 activation fee

Total = $462

I would have had to buy the phone, activate it, and buy the first month anyway. So the only newly incurred cost is the $170 activation fee. I'll just cancel the plan and insert an iPad microSIM into the new iPhone which should also use a microSIM. Then, I'd just be paying $40 per month.

Two year (additional) cost with regular plan: ($70)(24) = $1680
    Two year (additional) cost with iPad microSIM: $175 + ($30)(24) = $895

So you're saving $785 over the life of the iPhone contract. Plus $40 per month thereafter.

You're forgetting the cost of a brand new iPad

$785 saved - $629 (cheapest iPad 3G, 16 GB) = $156 saved

So you get a free iPad and $156 (minus tax when buying the iPad).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so i got this up and running with siphon via gizmo5 and google voice so i can do outgoing and incoming free via 3g data signal or via wifi.

the thing is.. im running a iphone 3g, jb'ed with spirit. Obviously the 3g is capped down quite a bit performance/ram wise compared to its 3gs counterpart.

i notice running backgrounder that.

1.) siphon is constantly sending data via 3g signal. i have no idea what its sending but it sure as heck is eating my battery up like no other. does anyone know what its sending and is there anyway to stop it from sending that data so much or is it neccessary?

2.) siphon tends to close automatically (running via backgrounder) due to the lack of ram available on the iphone 3g. sometimes when i was running safari and browsing, it would slow down, i'd get back to my homepage on by springboard and saw siphon no longer running via backgrounder... i figured out that winterboard was taking up most of the memory so i got rid of that and that seemed to alleviate that, any other ideas on how i can free up memory? is it possible to forcefully get rid of the "normal phone" application the iphone comes with?

3.) is there anyway we can setup a push notification instead of having to just hear a ring on siphon? basically if a call comes in you have to hear it, open the application (thats on via backgrounder) then accept the call. i tried using fring for a test since i know fring has push notifications, but by the time i get the push notification that a call is coming in, its already gone to voicemail.

any ideas?
    Last edited by chetoc230; 05-08-2010 at 04:53 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruslan120 View Post
    You're forgetting the cost of a brand new iPad

$785 saved - $629 (cheapest iPad 3G, 16 GB) = $156 saved

So you get a free iPad and $156 (minus tax when buying the iPad).
    Good point .

Quote Originally Posted by chetoc230 View Post
    so i got this up and running with siphon via gizmo5 and google voice so i can do outgoing and incoming free via 3g data signal or via wifi.

the thing is.. im running a iphone 3g, jb'ed with spirit. Obviously the 3g is capped down quite a bit performance/ram wise compared to its 3gs counterpart.

i notice running backgrounder that.

1.) siphon is constantly sending data via 3g signal. i have no idea what its sending but it sure as heck is eating my battery up like no other. does anyone know what its sending and is there anyway to stop it from sending that data so much or is it neccessary?

2.) siphon tends to close due to the lack of ram available on the iphone 3g. i figured out that winterboard was taking up most of the memory so i got rid of that and that seemed to alleviate that, any other ideas on how i can free up memory? is it possible to forcefully get rid of the "normal phone" application the iphone comes with?

3.) is there anyway we can setup a push notification instead of having to just hear a ring on siphon? basically if a call comes in you have to hear it, open the application (thats on via backgrounder) then accept the call. i tried using fring for a test since i know fring has push notifications, but by the time i get the push notification that a call is coming in, its already gone to voicemail.

any ideas?
    Unfortunately I think that we're limited here until OS 4.0 comes out. So people like us (with a 2G or 3G) won't ever be able to take advantage unfortunately.

I don't think any VoIP program has any optimized code to run in the background. Until these apps get updated for OS 4.0, I think battery drain will be unavoidable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post
    Good point .

Unfortunately I think that we're limited here until OS 4.0 comes out. So people like us (with a 2G or 3G) won't ever be able to take advantage unfortunately.

I don't think any VoIP program has any optimized code to run in the background. Until these apps get updated for OS 4.0, I think battery drain will be unavoidable.
    thanks lionelhuts. i can live w/o winterboard... i guess it might make sense to just go pickup a mophie juicepack in the meantime.

Green Apple
    Thanks

any ideas?
    That's where these babies come in

mophie - iPhone Battery, iPod Cases, iPhone accessories and more!

thanks lionelhuts. i can live w/o winterboard... i guess it might make sense to just go pickup a mophie juicepack in the meantime.
    Oops, you beat me to it.
    Last edited by ruslan120; 05-08-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, my local AT&T store wouldn't sell or give me a replacement micro sim. They said they normally can't sell a sim unless it is attached to a phone number, which it wouldn't be if you haven't activated an iPad account yet. They went back and forth and tried to call other managers or something to find out how to sell it, and then they found some paper/memo that instructed them not to sell micro sims unless the iPad is in the store. Before they found this paper, they were going to charge me $15 for the unactivated micro sim replacement. I was the first person who had tried to get a micro sim from them they said.

I guess I will try at another AT&T store or two before resorting to ordering and returning an iPad 3g.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thepiz: yea I called a few AT&T stores an they told me the exact same thing. So I decided to order it online.

I also ordered the micro sim adapter. I should get em early this week..
    When I do get them.. Imma try to go to a best buy and try to activated it..

If that doesn't work imm a go on craiglist and ask people that are selling ipads to let meactivate it and I'll pay them like 20 bucks! Hahah
    hopefully it works..

Hey and do any of u know if icall sends u push notifiction when u get a call? It's only 9.99 a month with ur own number and combined with google voice should do wonders..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Success! Went to another mall today. In and out of the AT&T store in less than 5 minutes after paying $15 for a micro sim replacement. The guy had no trouble ringing it up.

Then I walked down to the Apple store. They had two tables of iPads but only a few 3G models on display. Waited for one to open up, slapped my SIM in and activated it. Got home, and after setting my iPhone APN to broadband using help.benm.at , I rebooted and turned off wifi and successfully loaded a page over the 3G connection.

I also checked a few Best Buy stores this weekend, and didn't see demo iPad models yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is there anyway to force the phone app from running in the background?

since this runs data only, there seems to be no point in having the phone app running in the background.

when i run sbsettings and hit the stop process tab. it allows me to shut off the phone, but 1 second later it auto starts back up.

is there anyway to force shut it off? it seems like it would free up a lot of memory having it off granted you cant even use it on a data only plan, especially for the 3g users with limited memory/processing speed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

WEll ive have done to close the phone app, is i used Proswitcher and close it.. the phone app doesnt pop up unless i get a call...

have u gotten the data plan to work aswell in ur iphone?

Green Apple
    Thanks

ok, lets say I do find someone with an ipad to use

when I set up the data plan on the microsim, is there any way the ipads owner can have access to my account after I take my microsim out?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When I set up my micro sim in the apple store, I checked the sim information after replacing the apple store's unactivated micro sim that had been in the demo model, and none of my information remained. It looks like the information is completely stored with the micro sim and online through their web system.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BEEKS's Avatar
    Thanks

ThePiz, you did good man....you did good. You think 3G is dependable enough to strictly make calls on??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

FYI folks.. i'd be real careful with the scotch tape method.

i was messing around with the sim tray today taking it out and the tape thickness didnt make the sim flush when it popped out. it jammed so i pulled it out with some force eventually breaking the sim release lever.

so it might make sense to find a microsim to regular sim size adapter so everything fits flush.

the lever isnt impossible to replace, you just need to pop open two screws on the bottom of the iphone then crack it open and take off one data cable and presto you can access the little lever and its held with one screw.

a replacement lever is like 1 dollar online.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My experience with skype has been a little hit or miss. Don't have any other VOIP accounts to test. I've made skype calls from Europe and Central America through my VPN to the US using local carrier prepaid sims, and sometimes they're fine, sometimes there's a quite noticeable half-second to one second delay. More chance of delay if I call into my google voice account and then call out from there so that my google voice caller-ID shows up.

I think making calls with just a data plan is probably doable. The problem is receiving calls, and I don't yet know of a good system that can use Push notifications to tell you of an incoming call in enough time to open up Skype or a VOIP app in time to connect and receive the call.