Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Prepaid SIM in iPhone. No Data

Default AT&T Prepaid SIM in iPhone. No Data
    I have an iPhone 3G Jailbroken 3.1.2. I was able to get it working with voice. However, data is not working on it. Is there anything I can download or do to it in order to be able to access data? I have looked everywhere and I cannot find an answer.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T doesn't have data for the iPhone with pre-paid. I have the same issue. You'll have to get an iPhone plan.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Then why is it that there are so many people using AT&T prepaid iPhones on these forums and ocuntless others online. My plan now is to just go with T-Mobile. However I have an account with $100 on it that will go to waste, and AT&T has better coverage in my area and isnt AT&T's 3G faster than T-Mobile's Data? There HAS to be a hack or a work around for Data on prepaid iPhone's. If anyone has any suggestions on things to try please let me know.

Thanks

If there is a way to get free data with AT&T, sign me up. And there doesn't HAVE to be a way to hack free data. If there is, kudos. If not, suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jordolang View Post
    Then why is it that there are so many people using AT&T prepaid iPhones on these forums and ocuntless others online. My plan now is to just go with T-Mobile. However I have an account with $100 on it that will go to waste, and AT&T has better coverage in my area and isnt AT&T's 3G faster than T-Mobile's Data? There HAS to be a hack or a work around for Data on prepaid iPhone's. If anyone has any suggestions on things to try please let me know.
    you lost

You will have to install an .ipcc for iPhones on GoPhone and you will need to limit yourself 100mb per 19.99. iPhones on T-Mobile have no 3G but they can have unlimited data.

Lovely

Not

Where can I find an .ipcc for iPhone GoPhones?

Here's an update on the situation. I have a balance of $95 on my AT&T prepaid SIM but cannot access data. I went out and bought a $20 T-Mobile phone, have not opened it yet. So far I have found no possible way to get data on AT&T.

Can anyone tell me if, how, and the best way to activate this T-Mobile SIM so that I can get data (I don't care if it isn't 3G) on my iPhone. I am talking about which prepaid plan to go with, and if there is anything extra I must do in order to use the SIM in the iPhone with Voice, Texting, and Data.

I would greatly appreciate it. BTW I am running an iPhone 3G 3.1.2 jailbroken with BlackRa1n.

Thank you

*UPDATE* I just went to Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone and set my carrier settings. Guess what...

I GOT DATA! I am only on Edge but data is data. Keeps me from having to run Mobile wifi Router on my Sprint Touch Pro and burning the battery life of the phone up in an hour. Thank you all for your support. Guess I am going to go return this T-Mobile phone and add the $19.99 data to my plan.
    Last edited by jordolang; 12-05-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jordolang For This Useful Post:

mb23 (12-05-2009)

wow I've got a 2g that is unlocked and I am using a pay as you go plan. I thought that I couldn't get on a data plan, until now. this worked for me to. Thanks jordolang

Your welcome. Whenever someone tells me it cant be done I find a way to prove them wrong. I am gonna make a new post about this so that more people can get data. Enjoy!

Who said you couldn't get data? You'll blow through 100mb in no time if you actually use your phone while mobile enough.

Lovely

Not

Hello, I have an iPhone 2G unloked and jailbroken that works with different providers outside US and with my local sim (from Digitel, Venezuela) in the US, allowing me to roam either with Tmobile or AT&T; but I have an AT&T prepaid sim (gophone, I think) and I can't get the iPhone to work with this sim. Any insight on how to make it work? (I don't want to use the crappy nokia phone I had to buy). Thnx

Sorry for the late response, yeah there are a few things I can tell you but first I need to know what firmware you are running, and what method you used to jailbreak your phone.

I don't know how to get the firmware version. I did the dial *3001#12345#* procedure but I'm not getting any version option, only one option: GSM Cell Environment.
    I used pwnage tool and blackrain to jailbrake and unlock the iPhone after I upgraded the OS to 3.1.2 (7D11) without any previous preparation. Now I have the iphone jailbroken and unlocked with 3.1.2 (I tested it with my SIM card from Venezuela and could roam with AT&T and Tmobil), but I don't know what firmware I have. The only firmware information I get is from the modem (settings>general>about) which is 04.05.04_G.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Front2370 View Post
    The only firmware information I get is from the modem (settings>general>about) which is 04.05.04_G.
    04.05.04_G is you baseband version. You should have a version that tells you what iPhone firmware you have. i.e. 3.1.2 (7D11)

I'm curious because I too have a 2g and have run both 3.1.2 and recently, 3.0, with the hopes of 1 of the Cydia packages for T-Mobile enabling data.
    No luck...
    Jordolang, apparently you too have the 2g and have circumvented this issue...
    Before I begin the process (as noted above) and try either package (both of which specify either 3G or 3GS phones), would you mind sharing a brief snapshot of what you did.

I don't need a step-by-step so don't feel obligated to type a whole lot, just enough for me to hone in on researching the right procedures for my own setup.

Thanks,

Oops... hours of reading and I didn't notice "AT&T" as the carrier for this forum.

I've got T-Mobile...
    Last edited by gyrixx; 01-08-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What carrier settings did you use? I'm using a prepaid iPhone 3GS, but I don't know what apn settings to use to get free data.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There is no way to get free data period.

You can try using Unlockit and installing the att profile for apn settings or using the fake apn. This is for people without data plans.

Edit: whichever carrier you are using is the apn you want to use.
    Last edited by ihappy; 07-20-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added info