View Poll Results: Ultrasn0w or Purplesn0w

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purplesn0w

47 29.38%
  • Ultrasn0w

113 70.63%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Unlock Debate - Ultrasn0w vs. Purplesn0w

Default iPhone Unlock Debate - Ultrasn0w vs. Purplesn0w
    Ok, So lets have at it again. With Geohot pushing out Purplesn0w RC2 and the Dev Teams response with Ultrasn0w 0.9-3, I find myself thinking this makes for another good debate. Lets see who is using which version to unlock their phones and what differences are noticed....
    VS
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

guyrich (09-16-2009), Jimmy k (07-19-2009), mawells787 (08-26-2009), milan_bhakta (07-18-2009), oarce12 (09-24-2009), rakusi24 (07-24-2009)

bottom line is that geohot's method is unstable and can cause the baseband to crash temporarily until a reboot. why sacrifice that when ultrasn0w does not take up any memory what so ever either therefor not taking any battery life. there is no advantage to using purplesn0w. ultrasn0w utilizes a very secure code insertion platform that we all know and love called mobile substrate. it does not take the risks of a direct patch. ultrasn0w's other key advantage is that it has support for the 3g also which purplesn0w is lacking completely.

anyone who is using purplesn0w is clearly uneducated and is listening to the wrong people.

at this moment there are 3 people who are dumb enough to use purplesn0w

EDIT: there are no 5 ppl dumb enough to use purplesn0w even after the obvious advantages to ultrasn0w have been pointed out. (6:16pm gmt -5)

EDIT2: there are now 6 ppl dumb enough. (6:26pm gmt -5)

EDIT3: at this exact moment (8:16pm gmt -5) there is exactly 12 people who have either read this thread or knows something other than what people are telling them.

EDIT4: well it has come back down to one extra person who has bled their stupidity all over the statistics. now the knowledge and stupidity are butting heads. i REALLY wish this was an open poll. (8:21pm gmt -5)
    Last edited by JStraitiff; 07-16-2009 at 07:21 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JStraitiff For This Useful Post:

IvanPK (07-18-2009)

this is a good question that should be looked into further for future benefits..

the dev team has been helping us more often with more tools when we havent heard from geo, however geo is the originator of iphone hacking onlly a couple diffrences, dev team is both 3g and 3gs when geo is only 3gs for now.. several other differences that have not been mentioned by the other also

^^and to the guy above me geo has fixed the memory conflict you mentioned
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

Green Apple
    Thanks

anyone who is using purplesn0w is clearly uneducated and is listening to the wrong people.(org post from him121213)
    Mannnn, Do you known what your talking about?
    Last edited by romo; 07-16-2009 at 05:13 PM.

^^ hehe thats what i love about these threads. you get ppl like this who have no direct knowledge who try to use it to insult someone.

this is a good question that should be looked into further for future benefits..

the dev team has been helping us more often with more tools when we havent heard from geo, however geo is the originator of iphone hacking onlly a couple diffrences, dev team is both 3g and 3gs when geo is only 3gs for now.. several other differences that have not been mentioned by the other also

^^and to the guy above me geo has fixed the memory conflict you mentioned
    unfortunately the dev team kicked him off and he was rumored to have written the first unlock, but in reality it was a 15 yr old from chronic dev team named arix. he wrote the first unlock and the first jailbreak called ijailbreak.

also the issue that i had mentioned is not fixable as long as he is using a direct patch... his patch is overwriting an arbitrary piece of code that makes the baseband unstable after a certain amount of time.(to quote the blog) thus it is not possible to put it in a spot where it wont interfere since there is not extra space in the baseband unlike the nor chip it does check sizes.
    Last edited by JStraitiff; 07-16-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Ari Has admitted he didnt write the first jailbreak but rather complied it into and easy to use software called iJailbreak....

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    bottom line is that geohot's method is unstable and can cause the baseband to crash temporarily until a reboot. why sacrifice that when ultrasn0w does not take up any memory what so ever either therefor not taking any battery life. there is no advantage to using purplesn0w. ultrasn0w utilizes a very secure code insertion platform that we all know and love called mobile substrate. it does not take the risks of a direct patch. ultrasn0w's other key advantage is that it has support for the 3g also which purplesn0w is lacking completely.

anyone who is using purplesn0w is clearly uneducated and is listening to the wrong people.

EDIT: there are no 5 ppl dumb enough to use purplesn0w even after the obvious advantages to ultrasn0w have been pointed out. (6:16pm gmt -5)

lmfao
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

LOL....I told you this would be fun to watch

This was hard.... both work really well..... so which one is better? Purplesn0w was just easier to jailbreak.

We are talking about unlocking methods not jailbreaking methods. I think you are talking about Purplera1n

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

bottom line is that geohot's method is unstable and can cause the baseband to crash temporarily until a reboot. Why sacrifice that when ultrasn0w does not take up any memory what so ever either therefor not taking any battery life. There is no advantage to using purplesn0w. Ultrasn0w utilizes a very secure code insertion platform that we all know and love called mobile substrate. It does not take the risks of a direct patch. Ultrasn0w's other key advantage is that it has support for the 3g also which purplesn0w is lacking completely.

Anyone who is using purplesn0w is clearly uneducated and is listening to the wrong people.

At this moment there are 3 people who are dumb enough to use purplesn0w

edit: There are no 5 ppl dumb enough to use purplesn0w even after the obvious advantages to ultrasn0w have been pointed out. (6:16pm gmt -5)

edit2: There are now 6 ppl dumb enough. (6:26pm gmt -5)
    ^^ hehe thats what i love about these threads. You get ppl like this who have no direct knowledge who try to use it to insult someone.

Unfortunately the dev team kicked him off and he was rumored to have written the first unlock, but in reality it was a 15 yr old from chronic dev team named arix. He wrote the first unlock and the first jailbreak called ijailbreak.

Also the issue that i had mentioned is not fixable as long as he is using a direct patch... His patch is overwriting an arbitrary piece of code that makes the baseband unstable after a certain amount of time.(to quote the blog) thus it is not possible to put it in a spot where it wont interfere since there is not extra space in the baseband unlike the nor chip it does check sizes.
    lmmfao.....:d

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^^ hehe thats what i love about these threads. you get ppl like this who have no direct knowledge who try to use it to insult someone.

unfortunately the dev team kicked him off and he was rumored to have written the first unlock, but in reality it was a 15 yr old from chronic dev team named arix. he wrote the first unlock and the first jailbreak called ijailbreak.

also the issue that i had mentioned is not fixable as long as he is using a direct patch... his patch is overwriting an arbitrary piece of code that makes the baseband unstable after a certain amount of time.(to quote the blog) thus it is not possible to put it in a spot where it wont interfere since there is not extra space in the baseband unlike the nor chip it does check sizes.
    ROFLMAO

bahahahahahahahahha

question for him121213
    why do you say the geohot unlocks uses lots of ram when according to his blog.
    "Leaves no traces on your baseband after it runs. Seriously
    ----and ----With regards to devs comment that I use tons of ram, that was all RC1. This one uses 0, yes ZERO, bytes of ram after it is installed"

clearly you are more knowledgeable than i , so pls explain me. (im just trying to get the essence of both unlocks and use the better one)

another question that i have (Any one that can answer???) is why this doesnt work for 3g. or better yet when the purplesnow will cover the 3g phone

thxs for your time

jaas

^^^ plz explain to ME where you saw me say that thy take up any ram?... i said that it takes overwrites a section of code in a limited amount of space available in the baseband. nohing about ram... infact i said that neither of them take up any ram, to simpily defend that blow to the dev team and ultrasn0w.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,187 Times in 6,203 Posts

Here we go, been watching this and let the games begin................O_o

^^^ haha

there should be no games if people think before they speak.

how have you been blkadi

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^You know how often that happens.

^^ yeah true

This is just my own opinion, Last week, have decided to jailbreak my 3GS 16GB with both ultrasn0w and purplerain. The outcome is nothing but problems like no WiFi, losing cell signal & applications constantly locking up. I then decided this week to restore my iphone using the DFU method. I then proceeded to jailbreak my iPhone using Redsnow win_.08 with success. But using Geohot Purplesn0w RC2 to unlock it, I lost totally my signal again! I then tried Dev Team's Ultrasn0w 0.9-3 with success this time, although I do need to reset my network settings. Now, AGAIN everything is perfectly working. Thanks...

Green Apple
    Thanks

My experience with ultrasn0w has been great up to today I just installed this update on my 3g and it appears to have bricked my phone. Tried rebooting several times without success. I then removed the SIM and it rebooted fine and stating no SIM inserted. I resprang it to the same end result. I am now rebooting with the SIM installed…….1 minute now…5 minutes now…….ok…showing “searching”…..crashes to reboot and keeps cycling from “searching” then crashes again!!!!!!! Time to restore! Thx Dev Team!! 0.8 worked great! Need to dump 0.9.

Update…After rebooting “again” without a SIM it still reboots normally. I placed the SIM in after successful reboot and now all it does is search for the network. Now I am resetting network settings to see if it helps…..1 minute and still waiting……now getting a Rock Extension possible conflict warning asking me to restart and report bug….restart in progress….restarted with SIM inserted successfully and is again “searching” for a network……2 minutes and still searching…..5 minutes and still searching…….still searching after 10 minutes…. Again, The phone worked great with 0.8!

I restored and jailbroke with redsn0w. Then installed Ultrasn0w 0.6 that I had on my computer. Worked like a champ! Then downloaded the latest Mobile Substrate through Cydia and rebooted. I then downloaded Ultrasn0w 0.9, installed, rebooted. Back to the same problem! Fresh jailbreak, and fresh install, and 0.9 will not work for me! Guess I go back to the drawing board and start all over. Just my luck!

From my experience, I do not recommend this upgrade to anyone!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast