Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purplesn0w

47 29.38%
  • Ultrasn0w

113 70.63%
+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Unlock Debate - Ultrasn0w vs. Purplesn0w

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok, so I never have problems with unlocking or jailbreaking first off. So a buddy of mine comes by and asks me to jailbreak/unlock his 3g, no problem right I've
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Ok, so I never have problems with unlocking or jailbreaking first off. So a buddy of mine comes by and asks me to jailbreak/unlock his 3g, no problem right I've done this a million times just for fun. WRONG! Fresh restore to 3.0, Setup as new phone, Redsn0w 0.8, Ultrasn0w 0.9-3. Hmmmmm.....searching for signal.....thats weird lets uninstall Ultra and try again....still searching???WTF. Ok, lets do the whole restore/jailbreak/unlock over again....
    Still searching???? So I put my At&t sim card in....searching? are you kidding? NO SIGNAL...not even from an At&t sim card. Now, this is the first time I have ever had an issue with this in the probably thousands of phones I have jailbroken and unlocked.

I was going to keep this problem to myself and just mess with the phone for the next few hours and then I read the above post. Weird, another person with the same problem? The ONLY sense I could make out of the problem right now is that my buddy bought the phone off craigslist and possibly the IMEI number had been reported stolen and blocked by At&t. I can find no other reason for the phone not to even get signal from an ATT sim......

BTW- I am not placing any blame or responsibility on the use of redsn0w or ultrasn0w. I think this is a unique issue....I have had much success with both on other phones
    Last edited by Melech518; 07-16-2009 at 10:53 PM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Ok well just for the record guys I've been using Purplera1n and Purplesn0w (Every single build) and have had ZERO problems.

In my opinion it all comes down to having a little patients and making sure you spend the time to do what you need to do the right way. For example when the new build of Purplesn0w came out instead of just uninstalling ultrasn0w, rebooting, and installing Purplesn0w right then I went ahead and did a full DFU restore then rejailbroke via Purplera1n RC2 and installed the new version of Purplesn0w. I don't think the two should be mixed. Also I don't believe Redsn0w and Purplesn0w are compatible so if you plan on using Purplesn0w you should use Purplera1n to jailbreak. One would think this to be obvious but I guess it's not so.

Call me crazy or call me out for wasting time all you want but I haven't had a SINGLE problem doing it this way.

I think the reason most people aren't using Purplesn0w is because they jailbroke via Redsn0w and had problems trying to use Purplesn0w.
    Last edited by A_DuB187; 07-16-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

My 2 cents. The important difference is Purplesn0w requires an AT&T SIM to activate. At least if I read the instructions correctly. I for one will never have one, and must use utilities/programs/hacks/unlocks which don't require one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If you think the phone is stolen you can try this site. Its suppose to be a world database

myPhoneSafe.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LrdBane For This Useful Post:

Melech518 (07-17-2009)

Thanks

Phone isnt stolen. When I remove ultrasn0w my at&t sim gets service in the phone again. Now I do believe this is an ultrasn0w problem and its driving me crazy

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

The latest version of ultrasn0w finally solves all issues i was facing, finally feels like I have a factory unlocked device.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Same problem... endless searching. Tried reset network, etc. 3G on 3.0
    Any solution?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Appreciate both of their works. Though I am sticking with ultrasn0w for now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scudder View Post
    Same problem... endless searching. Tried reset network, etc. 3G on 3.0
    Any solution?
    To fix this I had to insert original SIM card (O2) restart & it'll show the carrier as O2. Whilst iPhone is still on, pop out old SIM card and replace with the one you use (Virgin Liberty Sim for me). It'll take about 30 seconds to search but will recognise it.

Warning! If you turn phone off you'll need to do this all over again. It's appears to be the Ultrasn0w release yesterday that has done this.
    Last edited by bignige; 07-17-2009 at 04:25 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Finally O2 Ireland got stock of iPhone 3Gs and I got a 32GB one. Used RedSn0w to jailbreak and UltraSn0w to unlock. No problems yet, YouTube works, Wifi Works, No Signal Loss, GPS Works.
    Now time to customise!

Edit: I can enter MMS settings, but in the messages app, I cant add a pic or video to a message?
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 07-17-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I am running purplesn0w right now and just from a user prospective, it works better than ultrasn0w. Ultrasn0w signal keeps cutting in and out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I am running purplesn0w right now and just from a user prospective, it works better than ultrasn0w. Ultrasn0w signal keeps cutting in and out.
    ^^+1 Purplesn0w is still running strong for me too. ZERO problems here.

I think ALOT of people aren't even giving Purplesn0w a try because of some misplaced loyalty they think they have towards the Dev Team or whatever. Me personally I respect the work they have done but I'm all for the best functioning product.
    Last edited by A_DuB187; 07-18-2009 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default redsnow vs purplesnow
    the only problem i have had with redsnow is with one of its sources or apps i should say. after i have successfully jailbroken and unlocked and gotten cydia, i used one of cydias sources to install an MMS app from Xsellize, and after it installed and was in reboot process it just froze at stayed at the white apple logo. i ended up having to restore to factory setting(becuz restoring by pressing Shift + restore button with selected firmware did not work) and THEN having to restore to a state itunes had saved when it synced up with my iphone 3g. that is my only complaint. and it didnt only happen once, it happened every time, i tried it on my phone again, on another friends phone and girlfreinds brothers iphone, all iphones i tested source and app on were iphon 3g.

PS: i like redsnow the best though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I jb with purp1erain and unlocked with purplesn0w RC2. works like a charm with T-Mobile or AT&T sims.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by needhelplikeno1sbizness View Post
    the only problem i have had with redsnow is with one of its sources or apps i should say. after i have successfully jailbroken and unlocked and gotten cydia, i used one of cydias sources to install an MMS app from Xsellize, and after it installed and was in reboot process it just froze at stayed at the white apple logo. i ended up having to restore to factory setting(becuz restoring by pressing Shift + restore button with selected firmware did not work) and THEN having to restore to a state itunes had saved when it synced up with my iphone 3g. that is my only complaint. and it didnt only happen once, it happened every time, i tried it on my phone again, on another friends phone and girlfreinds brothers iphone, all iphones i tested source and app on were iphon 3g.

PS: i like redsnow the best though.

You are so right redsn0w is so much better at unlocking than purplesn0w lmao

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    You are so right redsn0w is so much better at unlocking than purplesn0w lmao
    SB - while I have the greatest respect for your abilities, you don't half talk some crap at times.

RedSn0w and UltraSn0w all the way.

Geo is a great hacker but the Dev team take his best bits, add them to there best bits and come up with the best solution.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thats the only problem ive had, i mean i could care less about the mms app, but the only reason i found this out was becuz others i was jailbreaking it for wanted it, but all the other sources and apps are great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    SB - while I have the greatest respect for your abilities, you don't half talk some crap at times.

Geo is a great hacker but the Dev team take his best bits, add them to there best bits and come up with the best solution.
    Tell your precious Dev team to figure out why so many people are stuck searching for signal with ultrasn0w 0.9 after several restores. I know how to jailbreak and unlock, the problem lies with ultrasn0w.

Its funny how the problem doest exist with Purplera1n...Hmmmmmm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post

Hey man, haven't talked to you in awhile! I am just saying that I hear a lot more problems coming from ultrasn0w than from purplesn0w. Don't get me wrong ultrasn0w is a great piece of work. DevTeam took my high praises for purplesn0w as a dis to ultrasn0w too.

Thanks

my ultrasn0w isnt installing it says 'the requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed' when trying to install