Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3G TurboSim

Default Iphone 3G TurboSim
    Hey there

i have purchased an iphone 3g with turbo sim built right inside the iphone, i have a couple of questions:
    1)using turbo sim will any firmware restore or update break it?
    2) if new firmwares come out, will my iphone still be unlocked or will the new firmware lock the turbosim?
    3) will i encounter any problems?
    4) if the new firmware locked my iphone, will a software unlock if present be able to reunlock my phone while the turbo sim is still in the iphone?

Thank You

A firmware update *shouldn't* break it but SIM adapters aren't really an exact science, very very hit or miss. Regardless it wont brick your phone or anything, it just may stop working.

I recently downgraded from a 3G to a 2G (I'm on T-Mobile) because I didn't want to have to use a SIM adapter any more (among other things). The only issue I really came across was that more often than not when you lose service you wont get service back. You'll either have to reboot or just reset the SIM (pull it out and put it back in).

It wont lock your phone. The Turbo Sim is a *hardware* hack so it doesn't actually do anything to the software so you don't have to worry about that.

Hope that helps a little bit.

thank you for your reply till now all is good hope it stays that way

1. No, as far as I know
    2. your iphone stays unlocked but it is probably that you will have signal loss
    3. Possible, it depends on your network courier and your unlock card
    4. you are mixing two things, software and unlock sim. They are separated.
    5. there is no software unlock for 3G iphones
    I have tried turbo sim but wasn't happy with it. After last firmware update to 2.1 my iphone started to lose signal. And even worse 3G didn't work for me. So I tried to find some other solution. I found the 3Gsim unlock card on Unlock iPhone 3G - Instant Unlock any iPhone and since I bought it I didn't had any detectable problems. I have it for almost a month now and things are going smoothly now. Hope it stays like this

^^^ thx dude
    but there is something i did not understand if my turbo sim is not working anymore will the software unlock (when available) work while the turbo sim is still in the iphone

You should still be able to use the iPhone as an iPod without a working SIM. Is that what you're asking?

^^^ no my question is , if my built in turbo sim gets ruined by a new firmware, and a software unlock is available, will i be able to use that software unlock to use my sim card eventhough the turbo sim is still in the iphone

Your turbo sim can not be ruined by a software/firmware update so don't worry :-)

Firmware upgrade will have no impact on your sim card.
    Don't worry, dude.

thanks all for your reply, its glad to hear that it new firmwares will not impact my turbosim.
    today i was in my bedroom where there is no signal at all which is normal, however my iphone did not get any signal until i rebooted it, is it a turbosim known problem? or is it maybe a one time thing that may have occured? as mrgermy stated that it was a common problem with him, what do you think?

It is a known problem. maybe you could try another sim card.
    "Apple a day keeps the doctor away"

the problem is that the turbo sim is built into the iphone

The Dev-Team

The use of SIM-Proxies (small circuit boards/chips that sit underneath the SIM card) to provide GSM/UMTS service on your locked iPhone 3G is a method that we have always advised against. Early reports suggest that the 2.2 update disables the functionality of these devices. The techniques used were always unreliable and we are surprised that they have lasted this long.

User Comments

Now after updating my iphone to 2.2 I read that I should wait......That is just great (
    Well I updated to the new 2.2 and now my Turbo Sim is not working. My iphone just says no service. I cant even sync to itunes. When I connect my iphone 3g to comp itunes comes up and then gives this error

"itunes could not connect to the iphone because an invalid response was received from the device"

I did not even have my turbo sim in the iphone.....Now im screwed. Can someone help me please please

To all do not update if you are using your iphone with tmobile or any other carrier than at&t

Well I can confirm that I upgraded and my rebel sim did not hold through. When I first power on it gives the bars for service then says no service. So I got a brick for now. Wish I knew how to erase or downgrade the baseband...hmmm
    guys i thought that the turbo sim can't be affected by firmware updates, however i believe that these users experienced such problems with their sim adapters is because there is no activation method yet available. Furthermore does a baseband update have a way of stopping the sim adapter.

So in turn if the phone has been upgraded to 2.2 turbo sim is useless ?

have you tried
    Downgrade iPhone Firmware 2.2 To 2.1 | Megaleecher.Net
    Last edited by alucardunit1; 11-24-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default wow
    dude dont updater to 2.2 i repeat do not upgrade to 2.2 you will be royal screwed if u update. INstead stay with 2.1.

The downgrading the baseband with kiphone does not apply to 3g.

if you do want 2.2 , then download pwnge tool 2.2 , and a 2.2 ispw. and make a custom ispw vis pwngetool 2.2.

do not use 2quickpwn 2.2.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jordo_6's Avatar
    Thanks

as far as i know, I thought all unlocking sims work by the baseband of the phone.

I just got a RebelSim made for 2.2.1 baseband 2.30.03 for my misses iphone 3G to work with Telstra not AT&T that it is locked to.

it works great and if it looses reception it gets it back, though it hasn't happened yet.

And I though that the sim works by tricking the baseband.

3.0 Beta 2 has a Baseband 4.22.01 and I thought because it is newer, the rebelsim wouldn't work and would have to wait for them to refine the unlocker to work with newer basebands.

though I have never tested this its just my thought.

So my personal thought to the TurboSim is that if it was made for baseband 2.30.03, it wont work with 3.0 beta 2 baseband.

I will have to check it out sometime to confirm it.

PLEASE try this. I would love to update to 3.0 but I am using a RebelSIM and I don't know if it is compatible with the new baseband. The website says it works with almost every GSM phone in the world, but I don't know if the new baseband is patched. And I sure as hell am not paying $60 for one of those MoogleX SIMs (confirmed working with new baseband.)

DIRECT STATEMENT FROM REBEL:
    Rebel SimCard unlocking iPhone 3G firmware 2.2.1 Modem firmware 02.30.03 & 3.0 Beta 2 Modem Firmware 04.22.01

Will be updating now =]
    Last edited by n00neimp0rtant; 04-05-2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jordo_6's Avatar
    Thanks

please tell us about the results

Downloaded the IPSW last night. I will install and jailbreak and let you know.

UPDATE:
    I got it installed and jailbroken, but the RebelSIM is not connecting to the towers properly. They have videos on their site proving it works, so I assume it has something to do with the fake activate and never being connected to a "legit" AT&T SIM. I am going to be seeing an AT&T friend tonight, so I will borrow his SIM and see if it "kicks" the modem on.

EVEN NEWER UPDATE:
    After restoring my iTunes backup and rebooting a few times, it kicked in!

FAMOUS LAST WORDS:
    My 3.0 iPhone is officially working on T-Mobile using RebelSIM. It took a few reboots and stuff for the "No Service" to go away, but it has finally connected. I am very happy.
    Last edited by n00neimp0rtant; 04-06-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

been using Gevey 3g on 4.22.01 baseband just fine...they work!!!