+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G setup for T-Mobile USA

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello everyone, I have a iPhone 3G and ordered a Turbo Sim Gervey-3 on ebay for $24.98. It came in the mail the other day so I thought I would
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G setup for T-Mobile USA
    Hello everyone, I have a iPhone 3G and ordered a Turbo Sim Gervey-3 on ebay for $24.98. It came in the mail the other day so I thought I would explain how use Turbo Sim and how to program iPhone 3G for T-Mobile USA. First you need a jailbroken and activated iPhone 3G. Second you need to get a Turbo Sim, just hop onto ebay and search for Gervey-3 (thats the one I have, not sure if any other Turbo Sim will work). After getting it take the Turbo Sim Gervey-3 and put it in the sim tray and then you take your T-Mobile sim card and put it in the tray right on top of the Turbo Sim, they only go one way so its pretty error proof. After that put the tray back into the phone (this can be tricky cause its a little thicker now and can get hung up on while inserting it, I had to try a couple times to get it in). After the sim tray is in the phone just wait a minute and you will see that you will get signal and T-Mobile will show as the carrier. Now you can text (in/out) and make calls (in/out). Now for internet you have to change some settings. Go to settings, general, network, Enable 3G (must be off), Data Roaming (must be on), Cellular Data Network, and then set the APN settings based off what data plan you have with T-Mobile. After that your all set to use the iPhone for everything. Also even though your turning on data roaming you will not get roaming charges as long as your on a nationwide plan, if you are on a regional plan then you can get roaming charges. Enjoy!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BoisePunk22 For This Useful Post:

jmano0o (11-23-2008)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Nice guide. Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

so.... you are turning off the 3G? Why not just use the original iPhone?

And, I've heard it can be hard or impossible to un-cram your SIM card out of the phone... what's your experience?

Thanks

I know stupid to get an iphone 3g and only using it on edge is dumb. Just my old one is all beat up. I have also heard it's a pain to change the sim so I haven't tried to do that. If I ever have to it should come out with ease it's just hard getting it in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoisePunk22 View Post
    I know stupid to get an iphone 3g and only using it on edge is dumb. Just my old one is all beat up. I have also heard it's a pain to change the sim so I haven't tried to do that. If I ever have to it should come out with ease it's just hard getting it in.
    I'm using Universal Sim. It was easy for me to insert it in but hard to pull it out. I hope they release the unlock software soon. I'm always worried whenever I remove my simcard from my phone. It feels like I'm going to break the simcard tray or it will get stuck inside.

I only bought an iPhone 3G since my first iPhone 2G was stolen from me! At first I thought of buying another iPhone 2G but when I found out that we can use a simcard adapter to unlock iPhone 3G, I bought it instead.
    Last edited by luvmyfone; 09-13-2008 at 02:15 AM.
    iPhone 2G 8gb - version 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbreak (iLiberty+)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 2.1 unlocked (Universal Sim V550) / jailbreak (QuickPwn)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 3.0 unlocked (Ultrasn0w) / jailbreak (Redsn0w)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Apple iPhone 3G Sim Unlock No Cut TMobile Tool TurboSim www.iPhone3GsimUnlock.com

this guy has one. great videos too. amazing product! works fine! (bought 5 for the whole family) +1 recently for the girlfriend and its amazing! Love the fact i dont have to cut the sim card.
    Last edited by eugenelee3; 09-23-2008 at 05:28 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default About the APN Settings for T-Mobile USA
    I have my 3g iphone unlocked and i have the unlimited 19.99 data plan with tmobile and i was wondering if you know what the right APN Setting is to work for the internet. I have wap.voicestream.com right now but want to make sure that one will not have me incur data roaming charges or should i have the APN internet3.voicestream.com for it to work.
    I also have a nation wide plan too.
    Sorry for such a long reply but if can answer these questions and let me know i would really aprreciate it.
    Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by BoisePunk22 View Post
    Hello everyone, I have a iPhone 3G and ordered a Turbo Sim Gervey-3 on ebay for $24.98. It came in the mail the other day so I thought I would explain how use Turbo Sim and how to program iPhone 3G for T-Mobile USA. First you need a jailbroken and activated iPhone 3G. Second you need to get a Turbo Sim, just hop onto ebay and search for Gervey-3 (thats the one I have, not sure if any other Turbo Sim will work). After getting it take the Turbo Sim Gervey-3 and put it in the sim tray and then you take your T-Mobile sim card and put it in the tray right on top of the Turbo Sim, they only go one way so its pretty error proof. After that put the tray back into the phone (this can be tricky cause its a little thicker now and can get hung up on while inserting it, I had to try a couple times to get it in). After the sim tray is in the phone just wait a minute and you will see that you will get signal and T-Mobile will show as the carrier. Now you can text (in/out) and make calls (in/out). Now for internet you have to change some settings. Go to settings, general, network, Enable 3G (must be off), Data Roaming (must be on), Cellular Data Network, and then set the APN settings based off what data plan you have with T-Mobile. After that your all set to use the iPhone for everything. Also even though your turning on data roaming you will not get roaming charges as long as your on a nationwide plan, if you are on a regional plan then you can get roaming charges. Enjoy!

What's Jailbreak? Christopher3712's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nousske View Post
    I have my 3g iphone unlocked and i have the unlimited 19.99 data plan with tmobile and i was wondering if you know what the right APN Setting is to work for the internet. I have wap.voicestream.com right now but want to make sure that one will not have me incur data roaming charges or should i have the APN internet3.voicestream.com for it to work.
    I also have a nation wide plan too.
    Sorry for such a long reply but if can answer these questions and let me know i would really aprreciate it.
    Thanks so much

you need to input the following APN:

internet2.voicestream.com

It's MUCH faster than the one you're using. Your current configuration is for T-Zones subscribers.
    Unlocked & Jailbroken running T-Mobile.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Thanks
    Thanks for telling me to switch to internet2, it is so much faster. Do you know i know someone mentioned it but want to make sure if i have a nationwide plan then i will not occur roaming charges correct?
    Thanks if can help and have a nice day

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just got a Gevey-3G sim adapter from eBay. The set up was really easy and both the signal strength and data speed (edge) are excellent. I hope it doesn't die out in a few weeks like the other brands. I'm using it on 2.1 and iTunes works fine. No need to turn on airplane mode while syncing. I think that's because I chose the option in Pwnage tool that asked whether if I'm using my 3G with a valid carrier.

I would recommend anyone using a sim adapter to use tiny pieces of good quality transparent tape (preferably not scotch) to tape couple of edges of the two combined sim cards to its tray.

My settings for T-mobile with T-zones are:

3G: off
    Data Roaming: on
    Cellular Data Network -> APN: wap.voicestream.com (user name & password are left blank)
    Note: Cellular Data Network appears after you enter the new adapter with the T-mobile sim card.

Any updates from the other folks about Gevey-3G or any other adapters?
    Last edited by ausdhnj; 09-19-2008 at 01:33 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JK1234's Avatar
    Thanks

I use the New Yessim Y3g I actually Distribute them to Local Cell Shops here in AZ.

The product works amazing, I wrote a post on it. I can switch between cell towers as I recently took a trip to Hanover NH and was on the Unicel network.

The PCB is much slimmer so taking the sim out of the phone is so easy its amazing.

I get full service and data connection and I dont lose the connection after a few days like turbo sims and Universal Sims. (And this is the main reason Im not a fan of TurboSim or Universal Sim, Who likes to lose service all the time?)

I also wrote a write up on how to not get your sim stuck in your tray and I have the full settings for T-Mobile USA written up if you have that provider.

Check out GSM Hackers
    Who uses signatures these days???

Green Apple
    Thanks

How long have you been using Yessim Y3G on your iPhone 3G?
    Last edited by ausdhnj; 09-19-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausdhnj View Post
    How long have you been using Yessim Y3G on your iPhone 3G?
    I have been using the y3g since it release but I have been using yessim itself since it's release. They both share the same exact ic and the programming are identical.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Which is how long...?
    Motorola V70, A630,
    T-Mobile (HTC) SDA, Dash, Wing
    Apple iPhone 2G, 3G
    Favorite: Samsung A117

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ummm... jk1234 "as if this name doesn't sound like a advertisement name with its oh so unique 1234 in the name"

quoted straight from your gsmhackers website...

"SIM Tray Stuck - Don't Buy YESSIM
    Hello Everyone,

If you are reading this, I beg you DO NOT BUY YESSIM. This product damaged the SIM tray on my iphone. YESSIM now makes products that are slimmer, but I would not trust this company. I repeatedly sent several e-mails to support and never heard anything back. This is a huge scam. I beg you, please DO NOT Buy Anything from YESSIM. You can go to ebay and buy other SIM solutions for a lot cheaper price that are reliable and offer you a 1 year replacement policy. Once again, I STAY AWAY from YESSIM, it will DAMAGE YOUR IPHONE."

and...

"WARRNING! Yessim is just BIG LIE! BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!
    I just bought 5 pieces Yessim for my friends and me for iPhone 3G and none of them is working! This is just pieces of ****! I tried everything and no way to unlock! I am very good in IT, but this is not unlock solution!

Support is very very bad, i asked them to refund me atleast half of my money but dont reply my messege!

NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!

DONT WORK!!!!!!!"
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Do what I did when I bought a yes sim. It did not work and after contacting them several times and not getting a response, I called my credit card company and told them that they sent me a defective product. The credit card company revoked the charge and I got a refund.

Always pay with a credit card when purchasing these unlocks, if they don't work and you get no response..revoke the charge.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i bought the Gevey-3G before the release of the 2.1 firmware
    i am running on 2.02
    if i updated
    will it work ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minawagdi View Post
    i bought the Gevey-3G before the release of the 2.1 firmware
    i am running on 2.02
    if i updated
    will it work ?
    Yup
    Motorola V70, A630,
    T-Mobile (HTC) SDA, Dash, Wing
    Apple iPhone 2G, 3G
    Favorite: Samsung A117

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    ummm... jk1234 "as if this name doesn't sound like a advertisement name with its oh so unique 1234 in the name"

quoted straight from your gsmhackers website...

"SIM Tray Stuck - Don't Buy YESSIM
    Hello Everyone,

If you are reading this, I beg you DO NOT BUY YESSIM. This product damaged the SIM tray on my iphone. YESSIM now makes products that are slimmer, but I would not trust this company. I repeatedly sent several e-mails to support and never heard anything back. This is a huge scam. I beg you, please DO NOT Buy Anything from YESSIM. You can go to ebay and buy other SIM solutions for a lot cheaper price that are reliable and offer you a 1 year replacement policy. Once again, I STAY AWAY from YESSIM, it will DAMAGE YOUR IPHONE."

and...

"WARRNING! Yessim is just BIG LIE! BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!
    I just bought 5 pieces Yessim for my friends and me for iPhone 3G and none of them is working! This is just pieces of ****! I tried everything and no way to unlock! I am very good in IT, but this is not unlock solution!

Support is very very bad, i asked them to refund me atleast half of my money but dont reply my messege!

NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!

DONT WORK!!!!!!!"

These are generally the people that have no common sense that cant get this product to work. You seriously have to be an idiot to not know how to put a sim into an iPhone. The IC's are slim so they can be taken out easily without any problems. I have been using the Y3G for about two weeks straight without any service problems, and I have used the original Yessim for about 2 Months before I Used the Y3g.

I havent lost service and I could switch between cell towers just fine. And whats this **** about having to turn on airplane mode in order to sync with iTunes? Sounds pretty wack to me.

I have tried iSmart sim and I lost service after about 6 hours. Then I tried Turbo Sim and I lost service after three hours. got it back and then lost a data connection.

And those sims are not even programmable. Yessim works for 85% of gsm phones, not just the iPhone.

Maybe if people werent so retarted and tried to shove **** and force **** in and out of their iPhone instead of being patient and waiting for it to catch service they wouldnt be saying stupid **** like this.

Also For the record buddy this guy PM'd me and I sent him a NEW sim tray and a New Yessim Y3G and gave him proper instructions on how to use it. He is very satisfied with it and is even doing a write up on how to program the settings for T-Mobile USA.

Think before you write retarted *** Sh!t

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got a TurboSim v2.1 and stuck it into my 3g iphone and it seems to be working like a charm. My current stats are:

voice: yes
    SMS: yes
    internet: yes
    GPS: yes

I have two question:

- can you get the phone to connect to the t-mobile 3g network or are just stuck using edge for right now?
    - I changed my apn to internet2.voicestream.com and could use the internet. I switched back to wap.voicestream.com and it works but am currently getting about 120 kbps