Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: First the 1.1.3 Jailbreak, now GeoHot's unlock. It's all getting out of hand

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Angry First the 1.1.3 Jailbreak, now GeoHot's unlock. It's all getting out of hand
    Having joined in Jan 2008, and used this site daily, since buying my iPhone (OTB 1.1.2 on O2), I've found this forum has helped me immensely, and we have a great community here. Great work!!

I have to say, it was great news when Nate True released the 1.1.3 jailbreak, and I did it by following guides on this forum, with no problems whatsoever.
    Not so great when two more different versions were released shortly after with advantages/disadvantages over the other method. This is when confusion for all kicked in. Those who upgraded using Nate's method are now waiting for a fix from Nate regarding ownership/permissions, or face the prospect of downgrading and upgrading again, only this time have to use one of the other methods, which themselves have their drawbacks. Currently a no-win situation.

Now GeoHot has released an unlock, and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, releasing their own guides, their own installer version, with different "Dos" and Donts" and "warnings".

There's no wonder we're all confused.
    We don't know which is safest, which is smoothest, or which one will brick the phone.
    The thread regarding the "Software Unlock" method advises to downgrade before unlocking or "you may brick your phone". Yet readers further in the thread have said they used the package from iClarified without downgrading (directly from 1.1.2 or 1.1.3) and it worked fine.

Both "1.1.3 upgrade" and "software unlock" started off straightforward, but the many threads, and numerous posts in many different forums, contradict each other, have put fear into people who don't want to render their phone unusable, and this helps no-one.

One "simple how to guide" thread, turns into a 50 page bible full of "how do I..." questions completely unrelated, or "it didn't work" comments without detaling exactly what version they ran it from, what steps they've actually taken for it to fail etc. This all adds to the confusion for readers, and rather than help them, it defeats the whole purpose and just raises more questions and concerns. It opens a whole new "can of worms".

I did a jailbreak with Nate True's method, admittedly I should've waited, but now it's been removed, I'm left in a position of whether I can move forward, or have to go backwards for future applications. All of my most used ones all work currently, but may not with the official one.

I don't even know which method to unlock with after reading 100 pages of feedback from different people.

Apologies for the long post, but it's hard to find answers these days. You find a thread, then have to read 20 or 30 pages to find the answer, but then on the other hand, find yourself asking more questions as a result.

An admin nightmare to sort out, I have to admit, but is there any way of isolating or creating "acknowledged by the majority as working" methods and locking them so they're not clogged up with meaningless unhelpful comments?

The reason i think they say not to do it in 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 is because if you dont have it in airplane mode you can brick the phone which i learned the hard way. yes it can be done in those firmwares but it not recomended so the best way i would say and the safest in my eyes is.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    did you find a way to "unbrick" it?