Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: imei is reported lost/stolen to o2. cant make calls any idea?

Default imei is reported lost/stolen to o2. cant make calls any idea?
    i bought an iphone about a month ago. For ages i couldnt get it to unlock as i didnt know much about iphones (and i still dont!). Finally i bought a nextsim and after lots of replacements due to having been sent wrong version i finally picked up vodafone uk signal. my iphone is 1.1.2otb

here is the ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=011

anyway i finally found out that it wouldnt work because the imei is barred (called up o2 and they cinfirmed this). The seller doesnt seem to be responding at all!so im not sure how to get money back is there any way i can change the imei or use it to make calls (strangely i can make texts).

if i wait for a 1.1.2 otb software inlock will this help (as im not accessing o2 network at all using nextsim) its quite cinfusing because the fact that my imei is blocked is very suprising as i am using vodafone network. if i sold the phone to a seller in america, would the seller be ableto use it or will the imei stillbe blocked.

i would prefer just to get money back but i have no response from sellerand i dont know if ebay will be able o clean it up.

any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks

Huh? I work for a wireless company, and I don't know of any method to block an IMEI. All GSM networks ID your phone through the SIM Ki. And SIMs can be blocked easily. I'd take what that guy is telling you with a grain of salt.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

alick (02-04-2008)

I work for O2 and what they are saying is true, basically the owner of that iphone is trying to make some fast money by selling it to you and reporting it lost to O2 thus getting an insurance replacement and o2 barring the handset from being used. All UK networks share the same IMEI blacklist so know matter what network you're on it will still be barred. However, it will work anywhere else in the world.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyc2584 For This Useful Post:

alick (02-04-2008)

yes its definitely blocked! I called both my network provider and o2 and they both said it had been barred. So if i sell it on to the states it should definitely work? i hope so because its alot to have it sent back! Hopefully i should make my money back though.

thanks for your quick replies. Is there no way i can change the imei to make it work as it would be alot less work!