Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Rebel Simcard...?

  1. #1
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Question Rebel Simcard...?
    Ok guys im thinking of getting this to unlock my 3G iphone. Has anyone here got it? If so are you happy with it or has it caused you any pain?

    One question i do have about it is this, On their site they say you should buy their rebel cutter to cut your sim card, Is it needed or can you do it yourself? Im thinking that they may just be saying that to get more money out of you...

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Default Rebel SIM Card
    I was wondering the same thing. There isn't much in the way of independent feedback on this product. It seems almost too good to be true.

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Anyone? I really need some advice on this cause there is one finishing very soon and i dont know if i should go for it.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig02 View Post
    Anyone? I really need some advice on this cause there is one finishing very soon and i dont know if i should go for it.
    Maybe you've already checked...
    [*Sim] [3G] Results from data observation - Stay away from *sim solutions. - Hackint0sh

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Well guys i decided to just go for it, So i will post back once i have it to let you know what i think

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig02 View Post
    Ok guys im thinking of getting this to unlock my 3G iphone. Has anyone here got it? If so are you happy with it or has it caused you any pain?

    One question i do have about it is this, On their site they say you should buy their rebel cutter to cut your sim card, Is it needed or can you do it yourself? Im thinking that they may just be saying that to get more money out of you...

    Thanks
    DON'T DO IT. I bought a locked 3G iphone, ordered the rebel sim cutter (only because it came with another adapter card and extra O2 sim as well as rebel sim adapter, in a package - a hole puncher does exactly the same thing). Despite following the instructions and videos, it failed to work. Better yet, the sim tray is stuck, impossible to remove (plastic broke inside phone, outside case scratched). Their online help was rude and not useful. No support whatsoever.

    I work in telecoms, am technically competent, and now I'm kicking myself for going for the dodgy quick fix instead of heeding the dev team guys who will surely unlock the baseband shortly. In fact, I'm kicking myself for wasting a lot of dosh on the 3G when I could have got a first generation iphone until the unlock solution was sorted.

    Not very happy and the rebel people were really odious. Don't go there...

    PS. If anyone knows how to open the iphone 3G casing, let me know. Otherwise it's off to Apple. Warranty is already stuffed, have spent more dosh ordering a new sim tray from the states, all I want to do now is get the rebel crap and sim card out of the phone.
    Last edited by ducati girl; 08-08-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Could not agree more, Complete and utter piece of crap, Avoid at all costs, Luckily mine never got stuck but i tried three sims, Orange, Vodaphone and Virgin every one failed and got no signal. So everyone keep away from it also their online help staff are very arrogant to. Luckily i am able to get a refund on this crap

  8. #8
    Hi all,

    I currently have the rebelsimcard stuck inside my 3G SIM slot too. The only good news about it is that for the time being it is working. I'm going to try and open up the iPhone case and push the SIM out from the inside (already mangled the exterior of the SIM tray)

    Gonna follow these directions to get it open: iPhone 3G Take-Apart-Guide

    You'll need a phillips head screw driver size 00 to remove the bottom 2 screws. Picking my screwdriver up tonight. Good luck!

  9. #9
    Thumbs down Don't buy a Rebel Sim Card
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati girl View Post
    DON'T DO IT. I bought a locked 3G iphone, ordered the rebel sim cutter (only because it came with another adapter card and extra O2 sim as well as rebel sim adapter, in a package - a hole puncher does exactly the same thing). Despite following the instructions and videos, it failed to work. Better yet, the sim tray is stuck, impossible to remove (plastic broke inside phone, outside case scratched). Their online help was rude and not useful. No support whatsoever.

    I work in telecoms, am technically competent, and now I'm kicking myself for going for the dodgy quick fix instead of heeding the dev team guys who will surely unlock the baseband shortly. In fact, I'm kicking myself for wasting a lot of dosh on the 3G when I could have got a first generation iphone until the unlock solution was sorted.

    Not very happy and the rebel people were really odious. Don't go there...

    PS. If anyone knows how to open the iphone 3G casing, let me know. Otherwise it's off to Apple. Warranty is already stuffed, have spent more dosh ordering a new sim tray from the states, all I want to do now is get the rebel crap and sim card out of the phone.
    I couldn't agree more. I bought a Rebel Sim Card through a U.S. reseller (mooglex.com) and have had a similar but less traumatic experience. The Sim Card adapter has a CRITICAL design flaw because it becomes stuck in the tray. I was ultimately able to pry it open, although my tray doesn't open/close well anymore (it doesn't pop out when I push a paper clip in; instead, I kinda have to pull it out).
    To add insult to injury, the seller has not responded to my emails for a refund (despite a 15-day moneyback "guarantee"). Serves me right for trying to offend Steve Jobs.

  10. #10
    yeh i had a simular problem with another simcard hack
    my simtray got stuck inside the phone it would only pop out a few mm
    i ended up just ripping it out with my teeth breaking the simtray but atleast i could get the POS simcard out of my phone
    had to order a new simtray from china should be here in a few days hopefully
    STAY AWAY FROM THESE CRAAPY SIM CARD HACKS

  11. #11
    Default It does what it says on the tin.
    Quote Originally Posted by FramedTrash View Post
    yeh i had a simular problem with another simcard hack
    my simtray got stuck inside the phone it would only pop out a few mm
    i ended up just ripping it out with my teeth breaking the simtray but atleast i could get the POS simcard out of my phone
    had to order a new simtray from china should be here in a few days hopefully
    STAY AWAY FROM THESE CRAAPY SIM CARD HACKS
    Guys not sure what issues you had but I have scoured the web for a product to enable me to use my 3G iPhone without bricking it or damaging it. I have found that in Rebel Sim Card. I took it out of the box, tested it with one of the supplied sims and then switched over to my UK Vodafone sim and I now have my 3G iPhone working in all the same ways but on Vodafone and at a degree less cost then unlocking and invalidating the warranty

  12. #12
    Default Rebel
    I have ordered the rebel simcard as well - and from what I hear is that as long as you use some tape to keep the network sim and the rebel sim on the tray it should not have any problems of getting stuck - other than that issue I hear the rebel works fine - though I will try and leave my comments

  13. #13
    Default Trash!
    The Rebelsim is trash!!
    DO NOT WORK IN BRAZIL, NO CARRIER!!!
    DO NOT BUY IT!!

  14. #14
    Arimolo - try this: I assume you have the iPhone "activated" - you can see all the icons. Enable Airport mode - with no SIM installed - turn off the iphone. Make a call with your OTHER phone. Then take the SIM out of your old phone and put in your iPhone with your Rebel. Turn on the iPhone. DISABLE Airport Mode. It will search and find your provider.

    This worked for me.

    My Rebel Sim works. And works well.

    Forgot to add: I did have to file the top side of the CHIP (very carefully) - just a little. Otherwise it is too tight a fit for the SIM opening.

    Forgot to add (again): I used Tape at first (to hold the Rebel and the SIM together) - and it got stuck in the iPhone - removed the tape - everthing is now OK. Tape makes it too tight of a fit...
    Last edited by udornf4; 08-22-2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  15. #15
    DONT USE IT !!! - I tried it on my brand new iphone 3 and had to take it apart to take it out - the sim got stuck inside and now I have a broken sim tray and an unusable iphone - I had to order another sim tray and even then not sure if it will work after - so dont do it - for those of u who it has worked - great but in general stay away - at best its hit and miss

  16. #16
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Edinburgher
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Guys, for stuck SIM trays DO NOT try to force the open mechanism with the tool, it is fragile and WILL break. Be patient. Find yourself something slimmer than a paperclip, like a sewing needle. Use pliers to bend the end of it so it is bent at about 30degs. You only want to bend about 2mm max length. Put this into the hole/tray opener but do not push too far, you are not trying to push the mechanism. With the angled bit towards the middle of the iphone, gently prise the tray out. It might take a couple of attempts to 'catch' the edge of the hole, but it will save the mechanism being damaged. If you make the hole larger doing this, get a new tray if it bothers you, but at least you will have it freed without opening the case and believe me, opening the case is not easy.

  17. #17
    What's Jailbreak? drewbix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Canterbury uk
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    My suggestion is to buy the metal sim tray like the the 1st gen had!!! I've stuffed my sim tray up too...... used reble sim and it's crap but working kind of!!! I have the white 16gb iphone but can only get hold of a black metal sim tray. Good luck

  18. #18
    Again - my Rebel Sim is working just fine (I had to file the top of the Chip with a very small file - very carefully). If you have to Force it in the Sim Slot - you haven't filed enough off. I probably filed off 2 or 3% of the chip plastic..


    only problem I have with the Rebel is no 3G or Data Roaming (the iPhone goes to "no service" if that is selected. - but everything else works...

  19. #19
    I have tested FuriouSim and now RebelSim for the iPhone 3G

    both offer calls in/out, SMS in/out, but no data..

    http://www.youtube.com/v/YkmYlgy6ZM4&hl

    sorry about the glare on the screen, i would have redone it but it was friday night waiting to go out

    I see that Rebel Sim offers a control panel in the Network Settings and you can configure it manually of auto.

    I have no idea how to set this up, so if anyone knows, please let me know, I would like to test if EDGE can work.

    We really need a software solution soon because too many people are getting these sims stuck and from what I have seen some work, some don't.

    I gave a rebelsim to the guy who helped me get my 3G, and his is working, but no data as well..

    :S


    PS - I have a big nailclipper I use to take out the simtray (i'll see if i can make a video)

    I use the sim eject tool to pop it up a bit till it gets stuck.
    then use the nailclipper to grab the sim tray (don't press too hard or you'll dent/cut the fragile sim tray plastic) - you need to be very careful doing this.
    just press enough to grab it, and then pull slowly, the tray will slide out

    but as i show in the videos (check the others on youtube), make sure to stick the cards well with two sided tape..
    Last edited by bezman; 08-24-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: apologizing about the glare in the video

  20. #20
    What's Jailbreak? raskal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by drewbix View Post
    My suggestion is to buy the metal sim tray like the the 1st gen had!!! I've stuffed my sim tray up too...... used reble sim and it's crap but working kind of!!! I have the white 16gb iphone but can only get hold of a black metal sim tray. Good luck

    i have white sim trays, after some of my customers also damaged the sim tray i decided to make them since i could not find any white ones on our market here.

    Quote Originally Posted by bezman View Post

    We really need a software solution soon because too many people are getting these sims stuck and from what I have seen some work, some don't.
    a software solution is a good point, but sims are not bad at all, since sims are updatable, sims can be used also with other mobile phone brands and sims are affordable in price.

    if you have damaged your sim tray, well, this is in fact your mistake, best would be to bring it to some phone repair shop or some local dealer which is selling sim solutions and ask him to set up and install it for you.

    if your gas pipe in home will broke, will you fix it yourself? I guess not, since there is the possibility that you blow up the house, so u will call some company to fix it. Similar with the phone repair shops, they are doing it every day, and they can describe and show to you how to insert the sim and how to remove it in safe way. Sure, it will cost few more bucs, but i think it's worth to pay for service.

    B.R.,
    Raskal
    Last edited by raskal; 08-25-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •