Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nextsim/Turbosim v4 unlock problem: "the iphone must be used with an approved sim"

Default Nextsim/Turbosim v4 unlock problem: "the iphone must be used with an approved sim"
    I recently bought a "turbosim" (v4) which i think is actually a next sim from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=005

i have read around but there seem to be no references to v4. I have a jailbroken and activated 1.1.2 4gb iphone (not sure wether its uk/us as i bought it from a seller who found it). In fact its week 42 but i cant unlock it using anysim so i assume its 1.1.2 otb.

i have correctly aligned the next/turbo/stealth sim (as it works in my samsng e900)but the iphone comes up with error message "incorrect sim: this iphone must be sed with an approved sim". When i go on settings general there doesnt appear to be a "carrier option" just airplane mode, wifi followed by usage.

There is also a weak signal bar so i think the sim is definitel being "read" by the iphone. I installed iworl even though im in the uk to see if it made a difference but to no avail. i have therefore uninsalled it!
    Does anyone have any ideas?

1stly, thats a nextsim, NOT a turbosim, and any self reference to turbosim in the advert should be ignored.

2) Really need to know if its a UK or US iPhone.
    3) iWorld is only needed in areas the iPhone or opertor isnt officially supported. The UK -IS- supported, so iWorld isnt needed
    4) did you get intructions with it? it says no programming required, but does the chip need to be set? - you may need the original sim card (or a sim card of the same opertor) as that which the phone was first locked to! - eg if it was a US phone, you would need an at&t card
    5) Are you 100% sure its 1.1.2 Jailbroken and not 1.1.1?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jtanner For This Useful Post:

alick (01-23-2008)

thanks for your post

yes 100% sure jailbroken 1.2.2. i checked! Is there anyway to tell wether its uk/us as i dont know and the seller doesnt either. Does this make any difference? Also why do i need the original sim card?

Im afraid i have no instructions although ive emailed for some but i dont think the seller speaks good english. Do you know how i find out bootloader because week 42 may be 1.1.1 otb not 1.2.2

yes 100% sure jailbroken 1.2.2. i checked!
    you mean 1.1.2 lol

Is there anyway to tell wether its uk/us as i dont know and the seller doesnt either.
    hmm, you know what, i dont know.... install customize and then open it, and select carrier logo > what ever is in the back up should be able to tell you.
    eg mine has at&t logo so i know mine is US (well, i knew anyway i bought it lol)

Does this make any difference? Also why do i need the original sim card?
    It can make a difference yes, if the turbosim clone is pre-programmed with at&t then its US bought phones only. Real TurboSims needed the original sims in order to read the ICCID from it and store it on the chip.

whats your modem firmware? there is a way to get the bootloader version, but its not quick, and it wouldnt really help as to why the card isnt working.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jtanner For This Useful Post:

alick (01-25-2008)

SOrry have been away for a while. I installed customize and went to at&t carrier image backup and it said t mobile. Sorry im new to this - but i dont see how this tells me wether its english or not. I have downgraded jailbroken and re activated my phone againg but still same problem.

finally i have reinstalled the lockdown file which apparently should help. See http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23997

However i am yet to see a difference

any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by alick; 01-26-2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok i finally found the probelm. The sellerhad supplied me with a at&t next sim whereas i needed an o2nextsim. arrived yesterday and i have finally found signal.

thanks for all your help!