+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: my phone came with 1.1.2 firmware (factory) Can it be unlocked?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I tried reading as much as I could but can't figure out how to unlock my phone. I'm not even sure if it could be done... any suggestions? my phone
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default my phone came with 1.1.2 firmware (factory) Can it be unlocked?
    I tried reading as much as I could but can't figure out how to unlock my phone. I'm not even sure if it could be done... any suggestions? my phone is brand new and it came with 1.1.2 ver.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ToxicFTW's Avatar
    Thanks

As of right now, all OTB (Out of the Box) 1.1.2 phones cannot be Unlocked (Used with any carrier), but they can be jailbroken (3rd Part Apps).

Here are the steps to JAILBREAK your OTB 1.1.2 iPhone.

The Process (1.1.2 Out of Box):

Step 1: If you are on this step you have an Out of Box iPhone with firmware 1.1.2. Enter recovery mode on your iPhone by holding the power and home buttons until the "connect to iTunes" picture appears. Once iTunes recognizes your iPhone, shift-click on "Restore" and navigate to your 1.1.1 Firmware (download here). Allow iTunes to downgrade your 1.1.2 firmware to 1.1.1. When finished iTunes should give you error #1015.

IF YOU HAVE VISTA! and you experience troubles with iBrickr... On Windows Vista iBrickr will only work after a restart and it will only work once. Restart your computer and open iBrickr and you should be good to go. However, if you close out of iBrickr, you will need to restart again.

Step 2: If you are on this step you have just downgraded your Out of Box iPhone to firmware 1.1.1 and gotten error #1015. Open iBrickr (download here). One of the options it will give you will say something similar to "reboot phone" (I haven't done this myself but I will as soon as I can and let people know). Click on "reboot phone" (or the similar command) and iBrickr will attempt to reboot your phone. Activate your iPhone through iTunes after it has booted up (at this point don't worry about having no service, it will come back when we upgrade to 1.1.2 again).

Note: Many people will experience trouble with rebooting the iPhone with iBrickr for various reasons... If you are one of those people hang tight, I will post an alternate method the second I have time.

Step 3: If you are on this step you have an activated iPhone running firmware 1.1.1. Visit www.jailbreakme.com URL on your iPhone (you need WiFi to do this as the Edge network won't be working). Click "Install AppSnapp". Your iPhone will navigate to another page and briefly show a blue square in the upper corner before Safari crashes . At this point a status HUD should pop-up and display the status of the jailbreak. If you do not see this status HUD, go back to www.jailbreakme.com and try it again. After a successful jailbreak, your iPhone will soft-restart and you will see Installer.app on your homescreen. At this point I find it's best to do a manual restart (hold the power button until the "slide to power off" slider appears. Slide it off, then hold the power button until the iPhone starts back up). This step is optional though.

Step 4: If you are on this step, you have a jailbroken (if you have Installer.app, you are jailbroken) iPhone running 1.1.1 firmware. Click on Installer on you iPhone homescreen and allow it to check and refresh your sources. If necessary, update Installer (you will see an Installer update in the update tab in Installer if this is necessary). Under the Install tab, navigate to Tweaks ( 1.1.1) > OktoPrep and download OktoPrep. After the download, click the home button and allow the iPhone to soft-restart. Back in iTunes, shift-click on "Upgrade" (NOT RESTORE! ) and navigate to your 1.1.2 Firmware (download here). If iTunes is already prompting you to upgrade to 1.1.2 it is not necessary to shift-click...simply click "Upgrade" and allow your iPhone to be upgraded (NOTE: if you do this, iTunes will automatically download the firmware taking around 5 mins at broadband speeds).

Step 5: If you are on this step, you have an iPhone at the activation screen running firmware 1.1.2 and had installed OktoPrep on 1.1.1 before upgrading. Close out of iTunes. Unzip and open the folder containing the 1.1.2 Jailbreak (download here). Double-click on windows.bat and hit enter when Command Prompt pops up. A Java window will pop up (I would suggest to check "Install SSH" but that's up to you). Click Jailbreak! A progress bar will pop up and Command Prompt will start displaying code. Let the program run (it should take under 10 minutes). After it's finished it will say "Done! Reboot your device (it will automatically reboot once after you do so)". And wala! JAILBROKEN
    Last edited by ToxicFTW; 01-01-2008 at 02:09 PM.

32GB iPod Touch 2nd Gen

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToxicFTW For This Useful Post:

johnboy_immc (01-04-2008), usiphoneunlock (01-01-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i don't know much, i still don't have an iphone yet, i'm just getting into it, figuring out if i should buy a pre unlocked phone on ebay or just go buy one from the apple store and unlock it myself (i use t-mobile)...i was under the impression that the 1.1.2 firmware could be unlocked and used with t-mobile, and you say it can't be unlocked (being able to use with t-mobile), only jailbroken (only install 3rd party applications)

then what's this guy selling?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200188124646

i thought with these turbosim cards and stuff, you can use any gsm with the iphone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

it's a turbosim.
    it can be used, but you have to chop a bit out of your own sim card..
    best thing is to wait for someone to have an unlock then use/buy it (software wise)..
    That's my 2c worth
    Unable to restore signature. Error (1015)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so, if i go to the at&t store and buy a new iphone, i can use this special sim card, turbosim, and it will work with my tmobile, right?

is there a difference in these sim cards? turbosim, anysim, nextsim, or is it just the maker?

Thanks

mate the good thing about turbosim is that supposedly it wont brick your iphone when you update to newer firmwares. you just put your sim card with the turbosim and thats it.

i really suggest you getting an iphone with firmware 1.1.1 unlock! and yes i know its going to be expensier but it is worth it. or just buy a 1.1.1 firmware iphone and unlock it yourself. i can help you with this when you get yours.

Ill always say that software unlock is ten times better than hardware unlock!

Cheers, mate!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey maritimeswimmer,

thanks for the reply, is there really a difference in the 1.1.1 and the 1.1.2 ? is it just the unlock bug that was fixed, or was it other stuff too?

and is the software unlock ten times BETTER or EASIER?

and thanks for offering help, i will probably take you up on that once i get my phone

i see some people talking about the turbo sim will still unlock the 1.1.3 firmware when that's released, think that's true, has it been released? how would they know?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thingsandstuff View Post
    hey maritimeswimmer,

thanks for the reply, is there really a difference in the 1.1.1 and the 1.1.2 ? is it just the unlock bug that was fixed, or was it other stuff too?

and is the software unlock ten times BETTER or EASIER?

and thanks for offering help, i will probably take you up on that once i get my phone

i see some people talking about the turbo sim will still unlock the 1.1.3 firmware when that's released, think that's true, has it been released? how would they know?
    Problem is TurboSims cost $$$$$$

If your able to find a 1.1.1 OTB the Software method will take 5 minutes to Jailbreak and Unlock (Over Wifi)

I searched for 4 days on East Coast of US to find one of these GEMS all I could find was 1.1.2 OTB

PS Your looking for Week 44 or below (4th and 5th digits of serial number)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey subway,

yea, i had been looking for a 1.1.1, but the only 1.1.1 on ebay are already jailbroke and unlocked, so their selling for $600+

if i can go to the at&t store, buy an iphone for $400, and get a turbosim, anysim, sonicsim, etc. off ebay for $40, total $440...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You ****** rock!!!!! thank you sooooooooo much.... you have no clue how many times i tried OTB 1.1.2 brek w/ no sucess....till u.
    I bow 2 u!!!
    Last edited by Eurisko; 01-04-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Profanity not necessary

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy_immc View Post
    You ****** rock!!!!! thank you sooooooooo much.... you have no clue how many times i tried OTB 1.1.2 brek w/ no sucess....till u.
    I bow 2 u!!!
    huh?
    who?
    ...what?