+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I got ripped off! Help???

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
OK, I've wanted an I-phone for sometime now but the prices were out of my range. My girlfriend told me of a guy she knew at school who had his
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I got ripped off! Help???
    OK, I've wanted an I-phone for sometime now but the prices were out of my range. My girlfriend told me of a guy she knew at school who had his for sale for 200 bucks. I had her buy it for me. Phone was dead when I got it so i charged itu p and it has a Passcode!!!! Now, the guy has (surprisingly) disappeared and cannot be found.

I'm not TOO tech savvy here but Im pretty pissed I lost 200 bucks and have an Iphone sitting here, passcode locked. Ive looked around online and have seen something about some guy i Australia who found a way to get around it. Im sure SOMEONE, will say I stole the phone but I assure you, I paid hard earned cash for this thing and got screwed badly. I just want to enjoy my investment as it would help tremendously with managing emails and such with my job.

Anywho, I know this is a crappy first post and all, hell of a "hello" or sorts, but this situation has made me pretty mad. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks -Matt

Thanks

you can take the phone to at&t , find out if it is stolen.

you don't have a lot of choices if you want to do the right thing.

you got screwed badly!
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nxstang View Post
    OK, I've wanted an I-phone for sometime now but the prices were out of my range. My girlfriend told me of a guy she knew at school who had his for sale for 200 bucks. I had her buy it for me. Phone was dead when I got it so i charged itu p and it has a Passcode!!!! Now, the guy has (surprisingly) disappeared and cannot be found.

I'm not TOO tech savvy here but Im pretty pissed I lost 200 bucks and have an Iphone sitting here, passcode locked. Ive looked around online and have seen something about some guy i Australia who found a way to get around it. Im sure SOMEONE, will say I stole the phone but I assure you, I paid hard earned cash for this thing and got screwed badly. I just want to enjoy my investment as it would help tremendously with managing emails and such with my job.

Anywho, I know this is a crappy first post and all, hell of a "hello" or sorts, but this situation has made me pretty mad. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks -Matt
    well as jakecigar told you, if it's stolen the way to go is to report it, and try to get your money back, if that's not the case, there's always a way arround .....

oh what the hell, i've been there, purchased something cheap and the thing ended up being broken ...but plz do the right thing ...check if it's stolen ...else ,just restore it (and set it as a new iphone) thats gonna wipe all previous info .
    Last edited by adajet51; 07-07-2008 at 11:05 PM.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

*whisper* Place the phone in "Recovery Mode" and Restore it. You should anyways.

*cough* And yea, its probably stolen.

Thanks

although it seems like the easy way out... it still has an IMEI and can be traced.

we won't bring up your immortal soul or karma!

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    *whisper* Place the phone in "Recovery Mode" and Restore it. You should anyways.

*cough* And yea, its probably stolen.

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^^^^^ HAHAHA, ok...ok, so there's this thing called "Theft by receiving" and ummmm, its bad.

You really should check first....hey, maybe you'll get lucky and its actually not stolen.

^^^^^ Can I live a happy life now

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Plug it in iTunes and try to restore it. If not, try put it in DFU mod and restore it. I think one of the way has to work.

Stolen or not, who cares! This is an internet community, do you guys think a thief would get on here and listen to your advices and turn himself in? To me, that thief must be an idiot! What if he's not a thief and actually a victim? He did pay $200, and that iPhone is his now. Btw, we bought lots of stuff on ebay, how do we know if they're not stolen?

If you found an iphone on the street, will you report it to the police or apple store? 90% we are not gonna do that.. so yeah, be honest a little, guys..

Thanks

interesting to see what you would say if it was your iPhone!

This forum is for people who spent the cash to get a nice phone, not some junior Mafiosos to tell people how to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by istorm View Post
    Stolen or not, who cares! This is an internet community, do you guys think a thief would get on here and listen to your advices and turn himself in? To me, that thief must be an idiot! What if he's not a thief and actually a victim? He did pay $200, and that iPhone is his now. Btw, we bought lots of stuff on ebay, how do we know if they're not stolen?

If you found an iphone on the street, will you report it to the police or apple store? 90% we are not gonna do that.. so yeah, be honest a little, guys..

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It definately isnt stolen. I asked her that last night and she said it definately wasnt, as she remembered when he bought it, watched him use it several times before and up to 2 minutes before handing it over to her. He took his SIM card out as well. I know why he sold it. From what she told me, he's heavily into drugs and needed his next fix I'd assume.

So what do I need to do here? I didnt buy it new so I doubt an AT&T store would help me. Any assistance is grealy appreciated here. Thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iBlade's Avatar
    Thanks

Well like some people wrote before me, put it in recovery mode and restore with itunes and set up as a new phone. That will solve your problem, if the phone is ok that is.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Try to restore in restore mode ( cable with itunes icon : Unplug iphone from pc close it . Hold home button and put the cable. Hit restore in itunes ). Or eject your sim card and enter dfu mode ( hold power button and home button until it shuts down. Wait 2 seconds and take your hand from power button. Keep just on home button. Itunes will see it : in dfu screen must be black ) . And restore.. restore should escape of this problem

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by istorm View Post
    Plug it in iTunes and try to restore it. If not, try put it in DFU mod and restore it. I think one of the way has to work.

Quite ironic that you ended your post with:
    so yeah, be honest a little, guys..
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nxstang View Post
    It definately isnt stolen. I asked her that last night and she said it definately wasnt, as she remembered when he bought it, watched him use it several times before and up to 2 minutes before handing it over to her. He took his SIM card out as well. I know why he sold it. From what she told me, he's heavily into drugs and needed his next fix I'd assume.

So what do I need to do here? I didnt buy it new so I doubt an AT&T store would help me. Any assistance is grealy appreciated here. Thanks!
    start with a trip to at&t!

you'll feel better!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

Thanks

You could try to 9999 combinations the passcode could be. Shouldn't take more than a few hours . But once you have the passcode, you can disable it.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

Thanks

@jakecigar

We have over 100,000 members on this community, do you think they all paid for their phones? I bet atleast 1 case is stolen here! If actually there is none, then its good. But there is actually a possiblity. You can never have a 100% of something! Thats my point. Im not looking for arguement! Peace

iPhone? More like MyPhone Numberzz's Avatar
    Thanks

Even if the phone wasn't pascode locked, I would still have DFU Restored it before using it...

Thanks

How about we give him the benefit of doubt and assume he's telling the truth rather than just label him a thief.