+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem with the TurboSIM and an 8+ year old T-Mobile/VoiceStream SIM.

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    irz
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Problem with the TurboSIM and an 8+ year old T-Mobile/VoiceStream SIM.
    Hello. I'm in the U.S. This is being written to inquire about an issue I'm experiencing with the TurboSIM and an 8+ year old T-Mobile/VoiceStream SIM.

My iPhone is a week 46 unit, so the firmware is 1.1.2 and 4.6 bootloader OTB. The iPhone has been jailbroken and activated with no issues. I was able to install and run the TurboSIM applications and use the TurboSIM with a new AT&T SIM to set the ICCID and IMEI. The problem arises when I try to combine the TurboSIM and my old T-Mobile/VoiceStream SIM, which I noticed has a 19 digit ICCID vs. the 20 digit ICCID of the new AT&T SIM. When I combine the TurboSIM and T-Mobile SIM, the iPhone does not report a “No SIM” (as it does when no SIM is in) or an “Invalid SIM” (as it does when only my T-Mobile SIM is inserted) error. But, the “SIM Applications” does not show-up on the menu, and the iPhone constantly shows “No Service,” verified by not being able to make and receive calls. When I combine the TurboSIM and the T-Mobile SIM, and use them in my equally old Nokia 5190 phone, “SIM Applications” does appear in the menu, and signal bars are displayed. When I use the TurboSIM and the T-Mobile SIM in a Motorola V300 phone, it hangs at the “HelloMoto” screen, and doesn’t even get to the desktop. This is different than when I start the V300 without a SIM, when it correctly reports “No SIM.”

So, since I can get the combo to work in the old Nokia phone, it seems the T-Mobile SIM is cut correctly and making contact with the T-Mobile SIM. Is there a technical issue with TurboSIM and old (8+ year old) SIMs? Is there an issue with TurboSIM and SIMs with 19 digit ICCIDs? Is there something different the Nokia 5190 phone is doing at boot-up that can be used to make changes to the TurboSIM applications so the TurboSIM and my old T-mobile SIM combo. will work with the iPhone?

Before you ask, no, I don’t have a newer T-mobile SIM at this time.

Also, can somebody please post this on the hackint0sh forum and in particular forward to user Zf? I’ve been trying to register on that board too for the past several days, but the registration image has not been displaying at all.

Thank you for your help.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irz View Post
    Before you ask, no, I don’t have a newer T-mobile SIM at this time.
    But you could always call them and say that SIM has been destroyed(in fire or whatever) and they will send you a new one (new version).

irz
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerme View Post
    But you could always call them and say that SIM has been destroyed(in fire or whatever) and they will send you a new one (new version).
    @bimmerme

I don't want to go through that hassle without knowing first that the problem I'm encountering is really due to an interaction with an 8+ year old SIM. That's why I'd like a reply from somebody with in-depth technical knowledge of the TurboSIM and its applications.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

had the same problem, just told the t-mobile employee at the store that my phone just turned off by itself and then the phone re-started and said no sim. gave him my account information and he handed me a new sim.