Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.2 unlock with boostrapper, and Apple threatening unlockers ?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default 1.1.2 unlock with boostrapper, and Apple threatening unlockers ?
    So I have seen 2 people locally that claim they can unlock a 1.1.2 phone OTB. I called the first one, asking all the questions, he didnt seem to know very much or maybe was just tight lipped. I asked if it was a for sure 100% OTB 1.1.2 phone with the new bootloader, and he said ya. He said he downgrades it, and then unlocks it.. but doesnt say anything else. Just claims he can do it, and unlocked someones phone today that someone just bought from the stores that day. He said he didnt use iTunes either to downgrade. So idk what the hell he is talking about.
    Next day I talk to him and he says he cant unlock anymore because Apple contacted him, and threatened with law suits or something.
    I figured he was just full of it and made an excuse for really not being able to unlock it.

Then I see someone else post saying they have a brand new OTB 1.1.2 unlocked iphone for sale. So I call him, and he starts off with the same story saying Apple mailed him a letter saying hes not allowed to unlock phones anymore and he doesnt want a law suit. So I ask how he does it, and he says just to look on google for "unlocked iphone 1.1.2" and "I just have to downgrade it and stuff". So I tell him ive tried numerous times but the new bootloader just protects the baseband from being erased; and to my knowledge theres not way to edit the bootloader. He then says he erased the bootloader and replaced it with "Bootstrapper". Now ... remind me again, but isnt bootstrapper the old "ghetto" way to install installer.app ?
    So I am guessing the guys didnt know WTF they were talking about.. But more importantly.. Is apple really sending out letters for unlockers that are "selling" their unlocks?

iPhone? More like MyPhone chris52204's Avatar
    Thanks

Anybody who claims to have unlocked the new 1.1.2 otb with the 4.06 bootloader is full of *****. It is not against the law to unlock phones or else GeoHot would have never been able to do it and show his face on national television. Think about it. The dev team would have not let it be known they have found the previous unlock and are currently working on a current unlock. Anybody who has an unlocked iphone is using some sort of stealthsim or even have an unlocked orange or unlocked German(i believe its Germany that t-mobile is testing them) tmobile phone. Even yet probably an 1.1.1 otb claiming its a 1.1.2 just to get some fame to his name. They are all fakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    But is it technically illegal to "sell" the unlock to other people?

In Spain is legal if it is a software unlock, hardware unlock can give you some legal problems. I don't think, software modifications can give you any problems, but i'm not sure in the States

Quote Originally Posted by annual View Post
    But is it technically illegal to "sell" the unlock to other people?
    The labor itself is not illegal. But the use of third party apps for your own profit, such as anysim, is. The only way around that is if you contact the anysim makers and ask for written permission to use it for your own profit.
    I'd rather be on two wheels.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by realisticmind1 View Post
    The labor itself is not illegal. But the use of third party apps for your own profit, such as anysim, is. The only way around that is if you contact the anysim makers and ask for written permission to use it for your own profit.
    So basically it should be like, the Dev Team complaining, not Apple, correct? Since you would be using AnySIM to unlock the phone?