Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need Help with Activation

Default Need Help with Activation
    Sup all, I have a first gen iphone and i need to take it to apple for service. But for some reason the activating screen for itunes is not popping up. When i run my serial number on apples website it says my phone isnt activated, and i dont wont any problems when i get to the apple store. Can anybody help me. I do believe this phone may be unlocked, or jailbroken. It was givin to me, so i know i need to restore it but will that mess anythiing up??? Any help would be nice

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

what are you trying to do to get that activation screen? are you using it with AT&T? to get it back to factory state, put it into recovery mode by having the phone on and connected to itunes, hold both the sleep/wake button and home button until the screen turns off and back on. once the screen comes on, let go of the sleep/wake button and continue to hold the home button until i see an usb cable connecting to itunes. you're now in recovery mode and itunes should detect that ask you to restore. you restore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

Plan B (06-25-2008)

yes im using at&t, I have a at&t sim card as well. I will try and restore it as you have mentioned. But what about my firmware, it is currently 1.1.4. I just want the phone to show activated in apples system, i want to virginize it but with the screen not working 100% i cant do it

iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
    yes im using at&t, I have a at&t sim card as well. I will try and restore it as you have mentioned. But what about my firmware, it is currently 1.1.4. I just want the phone to show activated in apples system, i want to virginize it but with the screen not working 100% i cant do it
    Did you actually activate a new plan through iTunes when you got this iPhone? Or did you replace an existing phone and just unlock it right away?

There is a big difference! Unless you actually activated a new service plan through iTunes it will not show activated on Apple's site for warranty repair. I had a similar problem a few weeks back.

I highly advise you to call Apple for the warranty service and after you are told they will not help (without activating first) POLITELY ask for a supervisor. If you are difficult they will blow you off. If come off as polite, courteous, but stern in your belief that Apple needs to service your phone the Supervisor or Manager will help if you have a 16GB iPhone (available for less than a year at retail) or proof of purchase for an 8GB.

And of course, if you read the actual hardware warranty there is no mention of needing to activate with any carrier to be eligible for warranty service and even for non-activated phones after you put in the serial number through the support site there's fine print on the page about warranty service not being dependent on activation. It's just a bulls**t "policy" in place for technical support with not actually ground to stand on.