+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Going Overseas, need unlocking tips...!

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I just found out that I'll be heading out to Scotland for Xmas through New Year's. I currently have a locked, jailbroken iPhone with firmware 1.1.1. I've never had a
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Going Overseas, need unlocking tips...!
    I just found out that I'll be heading out to Scotland for Xmas through New Year's. I currently have a locked, jailbroken iPhone with firmware 1.1.1. I've never had a reason to unlock, since I haven't been out of the country since I've had my iPhone. My question is, (really a 3 part question...):

1. If I go ahead and decide to unlock, will it have any adverse effects on any other functionality of my phone. The only reason I ask is because I see threads that go, "Since unlocking, _____ doesn't work", or all these Baseband and bootloader problems, etc. Which unlocking tool is the best to use on a firmware 1.1.1 iphone? I'll be gone 19 days, so I don't want to be out of touch that long if I don't unlock.

2. Assuming I've unlocked and I'm in Scotland, if I call overseas (to the states), or use the data features, what kind of bill should I be expecting? Which features should I avoid or turn off? (Sorry for the newb questions, don't leave the country much, 1st time with a phone that does so many different things...)

3. When I arrive in Scotland (with my unlocked phone), where should I go to purchase a SimCard (PrePaid?), and from what carrier? Do they have carriers at the Airport I can buy one from? How much to they run, and do they sell them according to Talk time or Mb's of data? Never been there, so I have no idea...

Any tips from seasoned travelers is greatly appreciated, anything to make it as smooth as possible.

Thanks for your patience,

-Berserker

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

1. use anysim from installer.
    2.and 3. when you get to scotland buy a vodafone prepaid sim card and use that and also buy a long distance calling card. as for data just use the free wifi through out Scotland.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    italianapple,

Thanks for the advice. About to leave for the airport now. Unlocked and ready to roll...

-Berserker

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default overseas and unlocked phone/not working?
    Ok, I want to hope that it works for you, BUt it hasnt worked for me. I make this short, But I bought my phone while working in the usa. I live in the uk, I just got home, I have the 1.0.2 version unlocked. its awesome, I tried out my orange sim card while in the usa and it worked there, checked voicemail, sent text , called people, ( very expensive trial but at least i new it worked) anyway, I am now back in the UK and I go to put my orange sim card in and it doesnt work, Not sure why , any help would be much appreciated.....
    thx
    later

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by italianapple View Post
    1. use anysim from installer.
    2.and 3. when you get to scotland buy a vodafone prepaid sim card and use that and also buy a long distance calling card. as for data just use the free wifi through out Scotland.
    free wifi through out Scotland? What free wifi through out Scotland do you talk of?
    To live, you have to lie