+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will My Unlocked iPhone work with MetroPCS?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
@daking24, now I can't be too sure, but it's very likely that you are the dumbest man alive...like it can't be proven through normal means but it's very likely that
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@daking24, now I can't be too sure, but it's very likely that you are the dumbest man alive...like it can't be proven through normal means but it's very likely that you are the dumbest man alive.

Simply put, pimpsuprazx is right on the money. A simple flash will not CONVERT a GSM radio transmitter/receIver into a CDMA radio...or can it? Ok under that presumption, I'm going to start flash 'converting' my snot rockets into freshly baked honey hams. *haaachuuu* "MmMmmM"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Look IF METRO PCS WENT FROM A 1G TO A 2G IN JUST 1YEAR... THAY WILL GO 3G AN APPLE WILL GO WITH THEM.... AN ANYPHONE CAN BE UNLOCKED U JUST NEED TO KNOW SOME ONE THAT CAN DO IT FOR YOU.... IF MY MOTHERS AT&T SIM CARD PHONE CAN BE CHANGED TO WORK ON METRO PCS. o AN i HAVE ASK AT NOT THE BRANCH OFFICE IN FLA. THAY SAYED IT CAN WORK... JUST REMEMANBER THAT ANYTHING HAS A LOCK SOME ONE CAN UNLOCK IT...... THATS A FACT!!!!!!

Thanks

Oh, jeez...this has to be the dumbest thread EVER. To those of you who say any software can be hacked, this has nothing to do with software. It's hardware. Abraham Lincoln once said, "Let's call a lamb's tail a leg. Now, how many legs does a lamb have? Four. Calling it a leg doesn't make it a leg." In other words, you can "reflash" a lamb's "software", but the hardware stays the same.

They didn't make your mother's AT&T SIM card work on Metro PCS; they ported the number over to a CDMA-compatible SIM card, and perhaps they copied her contacts as well.

I think I hear your mother calling you...
    Last edited by Amadomon; 03-04-2010 at 04:00 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

dman78 the intelligence in your post proves to me that you were dropped many many times.

Thanks

hahahaha wow some people will beleive anything first of all metro and all others are on cdma networks wich is apart of hardware ( not software).
    It beyond inpossible unless you no how to change the antannae but even than it would be m9ore work than worth.

so everyone trying to sound smart about changing it to work for cdma networks quite its retarded and as far as the video holy cow guy's its not hard to change the carrier name stop being idiot's please.

that's all I have to say right now

IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Guys there's no such thing as impossible, just things that haven't been done yet. I have an Iphone 3G with sprint service and it wasn't particularly hard to do. The only difficult part was getting a R-UIM to put my service in. After you get one, you can go to rebelsimcard.com and get one of their sim cards. That will fool the phone into thinking that it is running on the network it is intended to work on. It comes with instructions on what to do to join the two sim cards into one. After that, you'll be able to use your iphone with whatever CDMA service you wish. Btw, this also works to let you use a phone from another country in your own. My iphone is from Japan and I live in the states.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what was hard, retrieving the RUiM card or putting your account onto it?
    Last edited by lustre sorte; 11-04-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: fig.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I felt some brain cells die after reading this thread.

Changing a hardware based change required to change a device from GSM to CDMA, by "flashing" or updating the phone.

Yea.................right.

I'm gonna go flash my car and change it into a murcielago. Be right back...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@lustre Sorte, The RUIM is a little hard to get. Most companies don't give them out. You can go to a mom and pop shop and they might have the RUIM programmer and do it for you or you can get one online and do it yourself. I brought the kit and charged all my friends to do it for them. When you're done, you'll have your account on a sim card. The Rebelsimcard will make your phone think it is running on its designated network. Since you aren't jailbreaking it, it doesn't void warranty. The only difficult part is slicing open the ruim and connecting it to the rebel sim card. Good Luck

@lustre Sorte, The RUIM is a little hard to get. Most companies don't give them out. You can go to a mom and pop shop and they might have the RUIM programmer and do it for you or you can get one online and do it yourself. I brought the kit and charged all my friends to do it for them.
    When you're done, you'll have your account on a sim card. The Rebelsimcard will make your phone think it is running on its designated network. Since you aren't jailbreaking it, it doesn't void warranty. The only difficult part is slicing open the ruim and connecting it to the rebel sim card. Good Luck

@lustre Sorte, The RUIM is a little hard to get. Most companies don't give them out. You can go to a mom and pop shop and they might have the RUIM programmer and do it for you or you can get one online and do it yourself. I brought the kit and charged all my friends to do it for them.
    When you're done, you'll have your account on a sim card. The Rebelsimcard will make your phone think it is running on its designated network. Since you aren't jailbreaking it, it doesn't void warranty. The only difficult part is slicing open the ruim and connecting it to the rebel sim card. Good Luck
    Last edited by Yo.Its.Fish; 11-09-2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is so fake. All the video shows is a simple Iphone file edit to replace the ATT with a metroPCS logo. Anyone can do that with openSSH. It is beyond reality that anyone actually believes this rubbish. As some others have rightly said MetroPCS used CDMA and Iphone is GSM that is not something that can be changed with software, that is a hardware chip in the modem of the phone that determines the standard. It is not possible for anyone to make an iphone work on CDMA except apple and they will do it eventually with a completely different version of the iphone with different hardware chips in it, but they have not done it yet and some random DUDE pretending to have an iphone working on metroPCS is just someone looking for attention.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@nebo1ss I feel sorry for people like you. Youre the kind of person that believes something based on assumptions just because you cant do it. Correct me if im wrong but the Iphone 3Gs runs on the following frequencies: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 AND WCDMA 850, 1900, 2100. This means that the iphone could indeed run on 2 frequencies that are within Sprint and Verizons Spectrum. There is a technique to get your phone to use these frequencies and I explained it in the forum already. You dont have to believe it though. Im satisfied with my phone on Sprint. Whether or not it can work on Metro PCS is a different story. They dont own the rights to many spectrums so service will be poor at best.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yo.Its.Fish View Post
    @nebo1ss I feel sorry for people like you. Youre the kind of person that believes something based on assumptions just because you cant do it. Correct me if im wrong but the Iphone 3Gs runs on the following frequencies: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 AND WCDMA 850, 1900, 2100. This means that the iphone could indeed run on 2 frequencies that are within Sprint and Verizons Spectrum. There is a technique to get your phone to use these frequencies and I explained it in the forum already. You dont have to believe it though. Im satisfied with my phone on Sprint. Whether or not it can work on Metro PCS is a different story. They dont own the rights to many spectrums so service will be poor at best.
    You obviously have little understanding of the technology used in cellular network and handsets. You refer to the Iphone frequencies that CDMA network supports. Unfortunately that has very little to do with the issue. Its like saying that NTSC, PAL and SECAM are compatible if they were transmitted on the same frequencies. Another analogy would be DAB radio and HD radio broadcast on the same frequencies. These are different, non-compatible standards and frequency of broadcast does not change that.

The Tmobile 3G network is not compatible with the iphone because of frequency difference even through they have the same 3G encoding techniques. However, when you are dealing with the differences between the iphone and its ability to work on a network such as that supported by Verizon and Sprint there is a lot more to take into consideration.

First lets clarify something. The iphone as it stands today supports two completely different co-existing standards GSM and 3G . These are themselves not compatible with each other but are both supported by ATT and all other GSM carriers.

The 3G standard in the iphone uses W-CDMA commonly referred to as UMTS, this makes use of HSPA and more recently HSDPA to support data and is transmitted on a pair of 5MHz wide channels. One of the things you will notice with an iphone is that you can be on the WEB at the same time that you are on a phone call. This is because of the nature of the signal and its encoding techniques.

Verizon and Sprint use CDMA2000 with EVDO for their implementation of their 3G network. A totally different standard based on qualcomm chipsets. This system is totally different than UMTS and absolutely not compatible, it makes use of one or more 1.5 MHz wide channels. One of the things you will notice with the Verizon network is that you cannot be on the WEB and make a phone call at the same time.

The SIM card or R-UIM card as used on CDMA networks in Asia are nothing more than devices used to facilitate identity transfer. They both contain network information like unique serial number, and internationally unique number of the mobile user. security information for authentication and two passwords one user one network.

Now I would like you to give me a technical explanation of how you make these incompatible systems work.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 11-10-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^nebo1ss.... Good.

How does qualcoms (maybe coming soon) gsm+cdma chip work? It must includes the nuts and bolts of all those standards. Wonder if it cycles between all then locks into one when active or it allows simultaneous active connections

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    You obviously have little understanding of the technology used in cellular network and handsets. You refer to the Iphone frequencies that CDMA network supports. Unfortunately that has very little to do with the issue. Its like saying that NTSC, PAL and SECAM are compatible if they were transmitted on the same frequencies. Another analogy would be DAB radio and HD radio broadcast on the same frequencies. These are different, non-compatible standards and frequency of broadcast does not change that.

The Tmobile 3G network is not compatible with the iphone because of frequency difference even through they have the same 3G encoding techniques. However, when you are dealing with the differences between the iphone and its ability to work on a network such as that supported by Verizon and Sprint there is a lot more to take into consideration.

First lets clarify something. The iphone as it stands today supports two completely different co-existing standards GSM and 3G . These are themselves not compatible with each other but are both supported by ATT and all other GSM carriers.

The 3G standard in the iphone uses W-CDMA commonly referred to as UMTS, this makes use of HSPA and more recently HSDPA to support data and is transmitted on a pair of 5MHz wide channels. One of the things you will notice with an iphone is that you can be on the WEB at the same time that you are on a phone call. This is because of the nature of the signal and its encoding techniques.

Verizon and Sprint use CDMA2000 with EVDO for their implementation of their 3G network. A totally different standard based on qualcomm chipsets. This system is totally different than UMTS and absolutely not compatible, it makes use of one or more 1.5 MHz wide channels. One of the things you will notice with the Verizon network is that you cannot be on the WEB and make a phone call at the same time.

The SIM card or R-UIM card as used on CDMA networks in Asia are nothing more than devices used to facilitate identity transfer. They both contain network information like unique serial number, and internationally unique number of the mobile user. security information for authentication and two passwords one user one network.

Now I would like you to give me a technical explanation of how you make these incompatible systems work.
    DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!
    As a employee of the apple company I have to go with this answer. If somebody is telling you it can be done and offers you the services then they are trying to rip you off. It cannot be done. Don't fall for the gimmicks and such!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well after all of the above
    We now have Iphone on Verizon comming out in Feb of this year.
    Does this mean apple has modified the phone and we can now "hack" it or do what we need to do to have it work on Metro PCS?
    Thanks.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neiwltr View Post
    Well after all of the above
    We now have Iphone on Verizon comming out in Feb of this year.
    Does this mean apple has modified the phone and we can now "hack" it or do what we need to do to have it work on Metro PCS?
    Thanks.
    This is a very good question. Since there is no SIM card it is going to be a little more complex than just Jailbreaking and unlocking the phone. Of course CDMA networks are capable of working with R-UIM cards, will have to see what Verizon does.
    It is also possible the phone might be a dual function CDMA/GSM
    phone, to facilitate Verizon customers travelling abroad.

I suspect you will have to get Verizon to agree to unregister the IMEI from their network and then get MetroPCS to agree to register the IMEI.

Not sure how easy it is to move a Verizon phone to MetroPCS today but the process should be the same.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yes, it will more then likely be hacked (or flashed as they call it in the CDMA community) and will run on Metro and the few other CDMA carriers eventually. I don't think metro has 3G though so pretty much, your getting the same deal you could have had with Simple Mobile (US GSM MVNO carrier of T-Mobile with MetroPCS-priced plans including unlimited 2G web for iPhone).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So wat works then there must be a way if people are saying it is for a reason or Just a myth

Where's this magic dude?
    Last edited by DiddyLaFlare; 01-14-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

It may be possible

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i didnt see a definite answer here so i looked it up. it is very possible, only illegal in the US. with CDMA it gives the phone a certain identity and so you would have to take apart the iPhone, put in the right parts from a CDMA phone from the network you want, and so that way when you use it on the network it looks like the phone you got only its really an iPhone. (all of this assuming you have the verizon iPhone)

Source:
    Is it Possible to Unlock Verizon (CDMA) iPhone 4? | Jaxov