+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newbie need HELP!

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi everyone, I just got the iphone two days ago and it is going to be a present for my fiance. When I first got it I tried to unlock
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Newbie need HELP!
    Hi everyone, I just got the iphone two days ago and it is going to be a present for my fiance. When I first got it I tried to unlock it but I accidently followed the wrong guide and downgraded my firmware to 1.0.2. I have then performed jailbreak using the iphone web download method with no probelm and when I wanted to go ahead to install anysim so I can use my phone in Asia, it required the firmware to be 1.1.1. I'm stuck, I'm afraid to mess up the phone so I decided to bring it to a shop but they weren't confident enough to help me out.

Please would anyone on this forum suggest me what to do next? Do I upgrade to 1.1.1? or 1.1.2? How do I upgrade? After upgrade, what should I do to unlock the sim and perform jailbreak? Please provide me with the easiest method since it seems there are a lot of ways of doing this...

Thank you very much.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Fresh's Avatar
    Thanks

Did you sim unlock the iPhone in FW 1.0.2?
    iFoneguide

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nope, I did not unlock the Sim, which is what I want to do. I performed the 1.0.2 firmware downgrade by using iTune and then jailbreak using the iphone then got confused because the guide I was using required the iphone to be 1.1.1 to install Anysim. So do I virginize my iphone and upgrade to 1.1.1? or can I just unlock my iphone as 1.0.2? What do I do next?

Green Apple
    Thanks

the best/easiest way about going now would be to restore ur iphone using the 1.1.1 FW and then jailbreak and unlock using anysim... i take it u ddnt activate it either?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, that's what I was thinking, to upgrade to 1.1.1, but do I need to "virginize" my iphone? What is "virginize"? No I did not activate my phone yet, only jail broken. Can I just plug in my iphone to itunes and upgrade to 1.1.1 firmware?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Fresh's Avatar
    Thanks

jdmz33, if your iPhone has never been unlocked before, you can follow the easy path! No need to virginize or anything. Just make sure you don't unlock in 1.0.2. Move straight to 1.1.1 (or 1.1.2).

Fresh...
    iFoneguide

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, I used the home/hold button, restore in itune and shift/restore to choose 1.1.1 firmware. Now at the end of the session, the iphone does not show up in the itune but says "iphone needs to have sim card to sync with itune...etc." what is going on?
    Another thing, how can i see what version my firmware is without a valid sim card? i'm stuck at the slide/emergency call screen the whole time! please help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmz33 View Post
    Ok, I used the home/hold button, restore in itune and shift/restore to choose 1.1.1 firmware. Now at the end of the session, the iphone does not show up in the itune but says "iphone needs to have sim card to sync with itune...etc." what is going on?
    Another thing, how can i see what version my firmware is without a valid sim card? i'm stuck at the slide/emergency call screen the whole time! please help!
    Hello jdmz33,

Just do this:

- Put your At&t sim card in your iphone
    - Open itunes and connect the cable to your iphone
    - Make sure that your phone is OFF, then put your iphone in restore mode by pressing the sleep and home buttons at same time till the "Connect to itunes" appear (yellow triangle)
    - Restore your iphone by pressing the SHIFT key + restore button from iTunes and select the firmware 1.1.1 that you have downloaded from the web
    - Once restored, you may activate, jailbreak and unlock with anysim

Do not take the At&t sim card out from the iPhone before you finish the unlock process!!!

Bye,
    Marco

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, what if I don't have the AT&T sim card anymore? can I use a unlocked normal sim card?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmz33 View Post
    Ok, what if I don't have the AT&T sim card anymore? can I use a unlocked normal sim card?
    I think yes. Try it!

Bye,
    Marco

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You just bought it? Is it OTB fw 1.1.2? If so you can't unlock yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually I got it from a guy who owed me money brand new, at the time I was very clueless bout anything iPhone so did not check the firmware. How can I tell the original factory version? Right now I think I have 1.1.1 installed back but am not sure if original is 1.1.2?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Go in settings->general->about, it will tell you version and modem firmware. If you did not downgrade your modem fw(baseband) and it's 04.02.13_G, then it's most likelyOTB 1.1.2