+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: International options

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm starting a new job with 100% international travel. Phones aren't paid for until after the first three years, so I'd like to port my number to an iPhone, unlock
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default International options
    I'm starting a new job with 100% international travel. Phones aren't paid for until after the first three years, so I'd like to port my number to an iPhone, unlock it, and put in on each network when I arrive. How would that work? Would I still need an AT&T contract or would it vary with each country?

I wish I could just port a number to Skype or something. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks for your help in advance!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you don't port a phone number to a phone. you port it from one service provider to another. you won't be able to use that number in another country if you put in a local sim. only if you're roaming with the service provider that your number is with. and since you probably don't want to be slapped with a big bill, roaming is definitely not a good idea.

you don't need an iphone to do this. you can use any unlocked gsm phone and use local sims with a local phone number and use the phone that way. just check and make sure that your phone would work in the country you're going to

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks for your input! i knew i didn't need to have an iPhone but i figured it'd be the easiest to get help with unlocking. my main concern is keeping in touch with people in the States-- having to tell everybody a new number every 6 weeks is going to suck. and i'd like to hold on to the number i've had for years just in case this international gig doesn't work out, but having to pay for that would be dumb. i guess that's how things work, though.

thanks again for your help!!